PDA

View Full Version : Review of my blogzine

AndrewG
01-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Hey everyone,

I launched a blogzine last January that has become pretty successful. Itís been read close to a million times by hundreds of thousands people; but Iím always interested in improving myself and the site.

The blog covers everything from business to politics to personal development. I'm aiming to move into writing a nonfiction self-help book to reach a larger audience.

Iím open to all compliments and criticisms. You can check out the site here (http://www.lyved.com).

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

copnovelist1
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I have just checked out, and subscribed to LYVED - the Blog by ANDREW G.

I strongly urge everyone in the AW family to look at it - I guarantee you, it is awesome! It will inspire you like nothing else you've ever read!

There is real HOPE for this world; if we could just CLONE ANDREW, the world would soon be at peace.

Michael Phelps

AndrewG
01-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for liking it enough to subscribe! That means a lot. :)

I don't think you'd want to clone me :P

Really appreciate the compliments. Any articles in particular that you like?

-Andrew

AndrewG
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd love to hear others' comments and criticisms.

Thanks!

priggy
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I looked at it but i have to say i got bored.

Its not my type of thing in the first place and it is well written.

The reason i got bored was a! it was quite bleak and dreary and b) the truck and squirrel metaphor put me off.

AndrewG
01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I looked at it but i have to say i got bored.

Its not my type of thing in the first place and it is well written.

The reason i got bored was a! it was quite bleak and dreary and b) the truck and squirrel metaphor put me off.

Oh, that was a guest post, not written by me.

Take a little long look around the site, there's hundreds of articles.

Actually, the best place to start is here. (http://www.lyved.com/misc/lyveds-1-year-anniversary/) It lists some of the most popular articles on the site during its first year.

priggy
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I looked around a bit more after i posted and i looked at those articles on that page and it is quite a good site and may use it occasionally.
I don't tend to like self-help things but the 25 things type of things i like.

AndrewG
01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I looked around a bit more after i posted and i looked at those articles on that page and it is quite a good site and may use it occasionally.
I don't tend to like self-help things but the 25 things type of things i like.

Hey Priggy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to check the site out some more.

I totally understand why people are often put-off by self-help books and blogs. Sometimes they can be promoted in a spammy type of way, but one of my goals is to change that. I'm really looking to help people first before earning a buck.

Thanks again for the second chance :) Hope to see you around the site.

-Andrew

priggy
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Out of interest, how did you go around promoting your blogzine?

I have just started a blog, but don't how to promote so people know its there because I don't tend to see or read blogs.

AndrewG
01-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Out of interest, how did you go around promoting your blogzine?

I have just started a blog, but don't how to promote so people know its there because I don't tend to see or read blogs.

Most of my traffic has come from social media sites. Which are sites like Stumble Upon, Digg, Reddit, Facebook, MySpace, and from other blogs.

A great and simple way to get people to you blog is to guest post on other blogs.

Go around and read blogs that interest you, then email the blogger and ask them if they're ever interested in guest posters, and provide some post ideas that you would like to write about.

Also, forums just like AW are great places to network, make friends, and find new readers. I see that you have your blog link in your signature, which is great, but make it a little more noticeable.

Hope that helps :)

veinglory
01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
It looks like a blog to me, not a zine. Seems nice enough, clean and clear. Rather heavy on the advertising spots and the 4 empty ad spots aren't a good look IMHO.

AndrewG
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
It looks like a blog ro me, not a zine. Seems nice enough, clean and clear. Rather heavy on the advertising spots and the 4 empty ad spots aren't a good look IMHO.

Glad you liked the design. It's a blogzine, an internet magazine in a blog format; but it still is technically a blog. My goal is to eventually have multiple writers.

You'd be surprised but my site is actually light on ads compared to other blogs out there. :P The empty ads spots don't look good to me either, I wish they were filled with advertisers :P

Thanks for checking it out.

Susan Breen
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Andrew,
It's an engaging site and I like all the lists. I liked the article about go-giving. There's something a little dubious to me about saying a portion of profits are donated to charitable causes because it makes me wonder what cause and what portion. You could give yourself ten cents and that would cover it. But that may just be my suspicious self. But overall, very enjoyable site.

AndrewG
01-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Andrew,
It's an engaging site and I like all the lists. I liked the article about go-giving. There's something a little dubious to me about saying a portion of profits are donated to charitable causes because it makes me wonder what cause and what portion. You could give yourself ten cents and that would cover it. But that may just be my suspicious self. But overall, very enjoyable site.

Glad you like it! Go-giving is a new concept, but it's really powerful.

I totally understand your concern about me mentioning that I donate a portion of profits to charitable causes.

I just recently added that to the sidebar about a month or two ago. My reasoning was this; I was encouraging the act of go-giving, and donating in a number of posts, but I felt people were questioning whether I was doing it myself. So I added that note to the sidebar to let those who were wondering know.

I would also list the charities that I've and will donate to, but I like to do a variety. I've donated some of the site's profits to places like St. Judes, an NJ Children's charity, a laptop charity called Grahamtastic Connection. Also that Kiva ad that is in the sidebar is there for free. It helps promote entrepreneurs in developing countries.

People can believe what they want, but I am donating to charities. As the site earns more, I will donate more.

Glad you enjoyed the site though.

veinglory
01-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Your ad may be light compared to others, but I would say it is noticeably heavier than the norm. And my point about multiple emoty ad spots is that it is like empty storefront on the main street of a town--i.e. doesn't project success. You can have on empty spot and ad another when that one fills.

I also can't help but notice you ask for blog reviews but don't give any? It does start to make me wonder if you are here to promote, not seriously consider changing anything about your site.

AndrewG
01-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Your ad may be light compared to others, but I would say it is noticeably heavier than the norm. And my point about multiple emoty ad spots is that it is like empty storefront on the main street of a town--i.e. doesn't project success. You can have on empty spot and ad another when that one fills.

I also can't help but notice you ask for blog reviews but don't give any? It does start to make me wonder if you are here to promote, not seriously consider changing anything about your site.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about changing the ad spots to only show one empty spot at a time. I will go do that right now.

I apologize for not reviewing other people's blogs. I will have to look around and write up some reviews. I've been trying to be apart of this community, but it takes time. And I'm definitely not here just to promote my blog. When I first joined I mentioned this:

Thanks for the welcome! I've been checking this site out for many months, there's a lot here :P

When I post some more, I'll be sure to let everyone know what my site's link is. Unless the moderators don't mind me sharing it already?

-Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

-Andrew

raj101
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I have checked out your site (Lyved) . I really enjoy your all posts pretty much . which are full of stuffs .

AndrewG
01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I have checked out your site (Lyved) . I really enjoy your all posts pretty much . which are full of stuffs .

Thanks! Appreciate it :)

AshNova
02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
If I really had to nitpick,I'd say you should consolidate the Google Ads and place them below your archives if possible.

Other than that,I've bookmarked your site,well I've gotta get back to reading now :D

AndrewG
02-07-2009, 06:14 PM
If I really had to nitpick,I'd say you should consolidate the Google Ads and place them below your archives if possible.

Other than that,I've bookmarked your site,well I've gotta get back to reading now :D

Thanks for checking it out! I contemplated doing that but click rates are usually higher if the ad visible at the top. Plus, the google ads are default, I also work with another ad company that requires the ad block to be placed towards the top.

Thanks for bookmarking it. Let me know of any other things that you enjoyed or hated :P

-Andrew