Is this a simultaneous submission?

Enraptured

Narrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoecannon.com
An agent requested a partial from me, and in the instructions on how to send it out, she asked me to let her know if this was a simultaneous submission. I have other queries out, but no partials; does that count as a simultaneous submission, or would the agent only want to know if other partials and/or fulls are out there? Also, if having queries out doesn't count as a simultaneous submission, then if I get another request for a partial before she gets back to me, do I need to let her know?

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Just tell the truth: you have queried other agents. If you get an offer of representation from someone else, let her know you have another offer so she has a chance to chime in if she wants to.

Danthia

Ditto. She probably just wants to know how quickly she needs to read it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It's only a simultaneous submission if it's an actual submission, ie manuscript pages. Queries don't count. Most agents assume you're querying elsewhere. She wants to be informed if you get anymore manuscript requests.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
She only wants to know if you have submitted a partial or full manuscript to any other agents. It's no big deal -- standard procedure. Just tell her the truth.

PurpleClover

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding was that if you have parts of your manuscript out there then it's simultaneous...but if you've only queried it isn't a submission. I would probably still be forthcoming about the queries...especially if you've included the first pages of the ms.

But I have no idea what you would do if they ask for exclusive.