Two agents?

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here's my question. I currently write erotica under a pen name and YA under my own name. I've sold some erotica pieces to e pubs and plan on completing my erotica full length by the end of this month. I currently have a YA novel complete and am querying that right now.

So my question is this...if I get a YA agent will that agent also handle any other finished works, even if it's not their genre? I haven't found a single agent that handles both YA and erotica, and I really don't want to give up writing either genre. However, I also don't want an agent who expects 15% of things that I submit to an e pub.

Any suggestions or comments?

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Um not necessarily. It all depends on the agent and what they cover. Just because they signed with you for your YA book, doesn't mean they're required to take on any other book you write. That would probably be a whole other process in itself.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
This would be something to discuss when you are on the phone and talking about what representation would entail. :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm pretty sure Kristin Nelson handles both YA and erotica.

If you get interest on your YA, definitely bring up your erotica work when you chat with the agent. Most agents want to represent authors for the life of their careers, so you both need to understand what your career goals are.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Or, you can have two agents. Or you can not have an agent for your erotica.

I personally don't rep grown-up books. I have clients who write them. I take care of their kids/YA books, and they either have another agent for adult, or sub such work on their own.

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jennifer. It's nice to hear that it's not an issue, in any case.

(Now, I just need to find an agent... :) )

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Thanks, Jennifer. It's nice to hear that it's not an issue, in any case.

(Now, I just need to find an agent... :) )

Well - some agents might have a problem with it, I guess. So you'd just need to be straightforward about your needs when you have that first phone conversation.

Best of luck!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason you should have to walk on eggshells. Your question is valid, so why not initially lay out the facts to the agent(s)?