Confirmation of Receipt

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
On the 29th of December, I sent a partial to an agent via XpressPost which is supposed to take a maximum total of 5 business days to get there. It cost me $15.

Now it's been 6 business days since I sent it, and when I track my package online, it still doesn't show it as having been received.

The postal service website states that there may be a delay in updating the website, but it's supposed to update once a day... and I'm assuming by now it would show up--but you never know. Though now I'm worried my partial may be lost somewhere.

Do you think it's a good idea to email or call the agent to confirm whether or not they actually received the package... or would that come across too pushy?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think a call or email would be unreasonable, especially if you don't insist on talking to the agent but enlist the aid of the staffer who answers the phone, explaining that you have reason to fear your requested partial, which should have already arrived, has become lost because it's not tracking as it should.

Maryn, who thinks that's not intrusive

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of calling the agent, perhaps a call to XpressPost would be better. If there is parcel tracking they should be able to tell you if it has been received or not.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
Thing is though, at the very top of the page, it says "Our call center agents see the same tracking information listed here."

So it would be no use. They know as much as I do. And especially considering it's Canadian XpressPost to the US... I think they have that much less control over it.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know much about posting in Canada. But I wouldn't bother calling the agent. In fact, I'd say don't do it. At least, don't do it yet. There has been a New Year Holiday last week, plus a weekend. Given that, and the fact there is more than likely going to be a backlog of packages to deliver, I would wait until at least next week before you worry about it. Then, if the website tracking still doesn't say it's been received, call the postal company, just in case it's a website problem. And then, if they can't help, consider calling the agent. But you do have to learn to be a bit more patient, especially in this business :D .

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
the reality is what they say (post info in one day) and what they do (take days and days and days AND DAYS to post info and even then...grrr) aren't anywhere near the same. I just had this happen yesterday with a gift I'd ordered for Xmas. it was shipped the 21st. it didn't show up on tracking til the 29th. I'm still trying to figure out where it is.

so be patient. give it a week. if there are still no updates on the tracking system, call the postal co and check. but wait. it's still way too early.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
the reality is what they say (post info in one day) and what they do (take days and days and days AND DAYS to post info and even then...grrr) aren't anywhere near the same. I just had this happen yesterday with a gift I'd ordered for Xmas. it was shipped the 21st. it didn't show up on tracking til the 29th. I'm still trying to figure out where it is.

so be patient. give it a week. if there are still no updates on the tracking system, call the postal co and check. but wait. it's still way too early.

Thanks, Twizzle.

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm frustrating anyone... it's just this is my first partial request so I'm nervous.

Anyways--thanks for the advice.. and the.. constructive criticism.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm frustrating anyone... it's just this is my first partial request so I'm nervous.

Anyways--thanks for the advice.. and the.. constructive criticism.
Kathleen, don't ever feel like you're frustrating anyone here, as you're not. You had a genuine question and a genuine concern. One that I'm sure others have had too. I remember sending off my first article submission. I was so excited. After a few days I wanted to phone the editor of the mag and check to see if he received it or not. I did hold myself back from doing it, but then the weeks passed and I kept wondering. Seven weeks later I got back a rejection. I was so depressed. I wanted to call the editor and find out why he rejected it. But I didn't. Instead, I sent it back out, this time to a different mag, and two weeks afterwards I got a letter saying they wanted to publish it. To say I was happy would be an understatement in the extreme. Anyway, what I'm saying, is that we've all been in your position, so we all know what it's like. This forum is all about asking questions, learning about writing, getting help with your writing, and learning more about the writing industry. Everyone is here to help. And I'm betting everyone here has been helped by just being here. I know I have. And don't ever feel like a question isn't worth asking. All questions are good. Some answers may be a little iffy, but that goes with everyone being crazy :D .

And congratulations on the partial request too. Fingers crossed it'll turn into a request for a full and then a contract.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Just to throw in my hat-
it's true. My agent at WMA has been off since the week before Christmas- Everybody there was gone. I'm expecting payments from some of my foreign sales so you can believe they are more focused on that, than reading requested partials and fulls --so wait until the second or third week and then email or call just to see if the partial was received.
My agent generally has a 6 week turnaround for MY stuff....for fulls from other writers it can be longer than that or relatively quick for a rejection.
No news is good news?

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the agent.

I would call XPress post first and maybe give it until Friday before e-mailing the agent to confirm receipt.

Depending on where you sent it, weather could be interfering with delivery.

Good luck!