Superpowers

katatonic

Hey everyone

Working on a graphic novel and was wondering what some good superpowers and abilities there are.

Also, what are some drawbacks of using a superpower?
I'm sick of seeing a character using their ability over and over with no real consequence.

Cheers

katatonic

Hahaha, you're kidding. Can't believe i didn't come across it when i searched.

Cheers alleycat

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No problem.

We could probably come up with a hundred additional "superpowers" if the gang here puts their minds to it.

I've never been into graphic novels that much, but when I was younger and read a lot of "comic books" I always liked those characters who didn't so much have superpowers as they did a slightly more rational "super ability". For example, Iron Man and Captain America. Have you considered something like that for your novel? That is, instead of a superpower, give the character a unique and original device, tool, weapon, or technique that effectively makes them "superheroes" (please, no magic rings, laser glasses, or invisibility cloaks).

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Besides the collateral damage issue, there are a couple of systems that punish superheroes for using powers:

1) Strikeforce: Morituri: The more a character uses a power, the less he lives. SF: M characters had less than an year to live (they were soldiers) until a cure was found.

2) Endurance: From the Champions system, a superhero has a limited amount of endurance when it comes to their powers. Although it recharges, it can leave the hero literally dying to power their abilities.

3) Aberrations: In the Aberrant RPG, the more powerful characters get, the more problematical their lives get. They begin to pick up psychological, pshysiological, and power-based problems, and the smaller problems intensify as the character picks up bigger ones. Also, the character finds it harder and harder to relate to baseline people.

If it helps...
FR

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I think the hardest thing to do when dealing with super powers is maintaining the drama. I was watching the animated Star Wars with the grand kids the other day and in one scene the jedi knights jumped down about six stories from one platform to another. She then jumps back up in a couple of leaps to the original level. Two scenes later, the bad guy is allowed to get away because the first Jedi must save the other Jedi from falling off the same platform. Big holes in the story like that are hard to write around.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my science fiction work details a future where psionic based powers have not become the norm, but have become normal enough that there are laws, registries, S.C. decisions and even a federal enforcement agency to deal with them.

Most of the powers are divided into two types: kinetics and paths.

Kinetics are those who are able to manipulate matter in order to affect their environment - pyrokinetcs, cryokinetics, telekinetics and thelike.

Paths are those that deal with the mind - telepaths, empaths and the like.

However, there are a few that aren't supposed to ever exist, but they do. One of the characters in this series is an empath.

Which, in this realm, isn't just a lesser form of telepathy but works on a different level altogether. And this one character I created is being called a 'physical empath'. Which isn't good for him. What this means for the character is that if a person is emotional enough to want to kill someone, the empath character actually feels the effects of that emotional desire.

There is a scene where two telepaths are being used to do a mind scan (one is a law enforcement official, the other is working for the suspect's attorneys). The one telepath really hates the other and in an unguarded moment desires to shot the other. The empath character is then affected as if he's really shot. Including all the biological and physiological aspects of receiving such a wound without actually receiving the wound.

Rabe...
...who admits, he's not at all nice to that character...

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
If you want to see an interesting take on the legal issues relevant, the Champions Supers book covers the issues quickly (even though it comes down to just extending our already existing laws). White Wolf Games published a "Psi Law" handbook for its Trinity RPG; it does a bang-up job of exploring the legal ramifications of psionic abilities (even though I'm annoyed it didn't cover teleportation!).

Of course, if you just want to throw something fun into the mix, check out the Damage Control from Marvel Comics; the issues caused by having supers pay for insurance have been interesting, to say the least.

FR

katatonic

Some interesting answers here, which is good to see.

I came across Darker Than Black which has some interesting payments that people with abilities (known as contractors) must pay.

• Alteration of age, swiftly growing older or younger
  • Arranging pebbles in meticulously straight lines
  • Drinking various fluids, such as hot milk, beer, or the blood of children
  • Earmarking the pages of a book
  • Eating various foods, such as boiled eggs
  • Inability to lie
  • Intaking and regurgitating objects
  • Kissing someone
  • Placing the shoes of the victim upside down on the ground
  • Regaining human feelings for a brief time
  • Self-mutilation or injury, including dislocating fingers and wrist-slitting
  • Singing a song
  • Sleeping
  • Smoking
  • Writing poetry
I should also say that the character I'm giving superpowers to is an anti-hero detective. So I can't give him an overwhelming power. Like RJK mentioned, maintaining the drama is very important to what I can and can't pull off.

Anyway, keep the ideas flowing...