Does anybody else hate sleep...?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I freaking loathe it. Because I need it so damn much, and it's so great when you get it. And not getting it makes your day so much worse. But it gets in the way.

Man, if I could just not sleep... if I could be granted a super-power rendering sleep entirely optional, I could get so much done. Life would be so grand. Grand, I tells ya.

Who's with me on this?

CharlotteAmbrose

Registered
Reaction score
I freaking loathe it. Because I need it so damn much, and it's so great when you get it. And not getting it makes your day so much worse. But it gets in the way.

Man, if I could just not sleep... if I could be granted a super-power rendering sleep entirely optional, I could get so much done. Life would be so grand. Grand, I tells ya.

Who's with me on this?

I am right there! Me and you - eternally awake!!! I just ranted about it today. I haaaate feeling tired and not being able to close my eyes that instant. Or being all hyped up at 3 am and having to try and go to sleep just because - well it's the human thing to do. Sleep sucks - booo!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yes, it is! You feeling OK, Ed?

And Jcomp, I'm with you-- I love the feeling of sleep, but I HATE THAT I HAVE TO SLEEP! Do you know what I could accomplish with an extra 8 hours a day? I'd... I'd... well, I'd file my nails and organize my office, that's for sure! :)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could sleep all the time. That's a sign of depression, isn't it?

Perhaps. Isn't sleeping all the time like... um... being... deceased....?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Can't sleep - clown'll eat me.

Can't sleep - clown'll eat me.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I used to feel that way about eating, too.

If I still did maybe I wouldn't be so round.

I love the feeling of a power nap. About ten minutes, sitting upright, feet up.... holy crap! I'm OLD!!!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to get to sleep for about two hours now. Just gave up. My usual bedtime is about two in the morning these days, and if I try to go to bed any earlier, I just end up tossing and turning.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I stayed up too late and ended up oversleeping this morning, being late for work like an idiot. Fortunately I'm salary, so the boss can only get so upset when you're regularly putting in ridiculous hours anyway. Still, I hated it. I'm not about un-professionalism. But I feel it again tonight, an urge to be up past the witching hour. That hour when witching takes place. Whatever exactly witching may be...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I like sleep. If I need more time in the day than I have to do what I want, I'm doing something wrong.

But I don't sleep normally like most people.

I can live on 3-4 hours at night and then a nap of a couple of hours during the day and I'm fine. And I have a physically demanding job also.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I used to try to get by on the 8 hours that people are supposed to need. Then I started sleeping nine with ten a couple of nights a week. I found I was calmer and liked people better than before. I also found I was less depressed than on 8 hours. If I'm lucky sometimes I'll sleep eleven or twelve hours. A couple of times a year I'll manage 14, but that's professional grade sleeping.

Try it you might like it. But remember to get up a couple of times during the night, the 14 hour night to drink something. Otherwise you'll get dehydrated.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Without sleep both my mind and body would probably fall apart. I can heal anything provided I have 10 hrs natural sleep! 10 hrs of sleep and 14 hrs of hyperactivity are the biological requirements for a nocturnal specimen like me.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

Who's with me on this?

I would love to never need sleep. I'm a terrible insomniac, and it sucks. Royally. I'm one of those "can't take sedatives, doesn't have sleep apnea, just can't fucking sleep" insomniacs.

I could totally go for some "perfectly functional without sleep" super power. Srsly.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
But I feel it again tonight, an urge to be up past the witching hour. That hour when witching takes place. Whatever exactly witching may be...

For me it's more like the TWITCHING hour...that hour at which I get so angry that I'm not sleeping that I start twitching with fury. And exhaustion.

And.

Still.

Can't.

Fucking.

Sleep.

rxvenomqueen

I've learned that sleep and I have a love/hate relationship. I love sleeping in my oh-so warm and soft bed, love the feeling of my head falling on that feather pillow...but hate how things are going unfinished. Imagine how many tasks could get accomplished. Worst of all, think how much writing could be done in that time! Now THAT'S torture!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Sleep beginning in the late hours of the morning - 4 am - 6 am seems best for me. But no matter when I lie down, immediately ideas to fix various stories start and I'm scribling in the dark, keep pen and paper by bed and refuse to turn the light on. (I don't know why I won't turn the light on, I'm not sure I want to know.)

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Bio-rhythms, go figure. Mine are rather complex at times. Like now, sleeping soundly one minute and then wide-awake and thinking of writing. I haven't been at AW very long but now find writing a constant 'thread' in my mind. I have a seasonal job, landscaping, and when I work I sleep soundly at night and usually wake up with the chickens. - early. Winter is different and also the time I write the most. I'm with the 'think sleep is a waste of time' folks but once I get there, my body and mind know I need it, and I cherish it.

Bio-rhythms are different for all and as long as I listen to my body I do alright. I find when I force myself to stay awake, that's when my mind gets tired. I usually write more at night and in the wee hours...something about being up in the still time when most are asleep is restful in its own right.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
*waves* Insomniac here. I mean come on, my nickname is an indication of that. I'm up all night long but not always shiny and twinkly. ;)

I don't hate sleep. I envy people who put their head down on the pillow and they are out like a light and stay asleep all night long. Actually now that I think about it, I love sleep and I hate them. Them being those who actually can sleep.

:D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lightweights! All of you, except brad b, his light is still on. :)

ETA - and Cassi, but her light is never on. But is she home?

Last edited:

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Yes, it is! You feeling OK, Ed?

Seconded - do try and get out and get some light, if you're in the northern hemisphere - it's too easy to get depressed at this time of year.

And Jcomp, I'm with you-- I love the feeling of sleep, but I HATE THAT I HAVE TO SLEEP!

Argh, me too! I thought about trying that polyphasic sleep schedule thing where you nap for 15 minutes 4 times a day or whatever it is, but I think I'd probably go psycho.

Psycho-er.

Anyone ever tried it?

Reaction score
I wish I could sleep all the time. That's a sign of depression, isn't it?

No, that's exhaustion!

Actually sleeping all the time, if you could...yeah, that's a sign, though.

*smooches Ferret*

I don't get enough sleep myself, and I resent the need for it. I'm with Jcomp. Not needing to sleep would mean I'd get so much more done. Just think - an extra eight hours every day. I could finish my first drafts in a fortnight!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm very conflicted about sleep. I resent the hell out of it, but it's so nice to my eyes.

I envy those people who feel rested after about four hours. Left to my own rhythms, I'd probably sleep nine hours a night. More than a third of my life!

I almost never have any trouble falling asleep, though. If I'm horizontal and I shut up for more than three minutes, I'm gone. But I can't nap. Never could. If I sleep during the day, my heart gets all trembly and the cotton wool doesn't clear out of my head until I go back to bed and do it up all proper.

Reaction score
I get like that too, Perks. I CAN nap, but if I do so for more than an hour or two, I get a head full of cotton wool and strangely, am more susceptible to migraines.