PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else hate sleep...?

Jcomp
01-07-2009, 08:06 AM
I freaking loathe it. Because I need it so damn much, and it's so great when you get it. And not getting it makes your day so much worse. But it gets in the way.

Man, if I could just not sleep... if I could be granted a super-power rendering sleep entirely optional, I could get so much done. Life would be so grand. Grand, I tells ya.

Who's with me on this?

CharlotteAmbrose
01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I freaking loathe it. Because I need it so damn much, and it's so great when you get it. And not getting it makes your day so much worse. But it gets in the way.

Man, if I could just not sleep... if I could be granted a super-power rendering sleep entirely optional, I could get so much done. Life would be so grand. Grand, I tells ya.

Who's with me on this?

I am right there! Me and you - eternally awake!!! I just ranted about it today. I haaaate feeling tired and not being able to close my eyes that instant. Or being all hyped up at 3 am and having to try and go to sleep just because - well it's the human thing to do. Sleep sucks - booo!

Shadow_Ferret
01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I wish I could sleep all the time. That's a sign of depression, isn't it?

JennaGlatzer
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Yes, it is! You feeling OK, Ed?

And Jcomp, I'm with you-- I love the feeling of sleep, but I HATE THAT I HAVE TO SLEEP! Do you know what I could accomplish with an extra 8 hours a day? I'd... I'd... well, I'd file my nails and organize my office, that's for sure! :)

Jcomp
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM

Perhaps. Isn't sleeping all the time like... um... being... deceased....?

MattW
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Can't sleep - clown'll eat me.

Can't sleep - clown'll eat me.

Williebee
01-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I used to feel that way about eating, too.

If I still did maybe I wouldn't be so round.

I love the feeling of a power nap. About ten minutes, sitting upright, feet up.... holy crap! I'm OLD!!!

Yeshanu
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I've been trying to get to sleep for about two hours now. Just gave up. My usual bedtime is about two in the morning these days, and if I try to go to bed any earlier, I just end up tossing and turning.

Jcomp
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Last night I stayed up too late and ended up oversleeping this morning, being late for work like an idiot. Fortunately I'm salary, so the boss can only get so upset when you're regularly putting in ridiculous hours anyway. Still, I hated it. I'm not about un-professionalism. But I feel it again tonight, an urge to be up past the witching hour. That hour when witching takes place. Whatever exactly witching may be...

brokenfingers
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I like sleep. If I need more time in the day than I have to do what I want, I'm doing something wrong.

But I don't sleep normally like most people.

I can live on 3-4 hours at night and then a nap of a couple of hours during the day and I'm fine. And I have a physically demanding job also.

Stlight
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I used to try to get by on the 8 hours that people are supposed to need. Then I started sleeping nine with ten a couple of nights a week. I found I was calmer and liked people better than before. I also found I was less depressed than on 8 hours. If I'm lucky sometimes I'll sleep eleven or twelve hours. A couple of times a year I'll manage 14, but that's professional grade sleeping.

Try it you might like it. But remember to get up a couple of times during the night, the 14 hour night to drink something. Otherwise you'll get dehydrated.

ErylRavenwell
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Without sleep both my mind and body would probably fall apart. I can heal anything provided I have 10 hrs natural sleep! 10 hrs of sleep and 14 hrs of hyperactivity are the biological requirements for a nocturnal specimen like me.

thethinker42
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Who's with me on this?

I would love to never need sleep. I'm a terrible insomniac, and it sucks. Royally. I'm one of those "can't take sedatives, doesn't have sleep apnea, just can't fucking sleep" insomniacs.

I could totally go for some "perfectly functional without sleep" super power. Srsly.

thethinker42
01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
But I feel it again tonight, an urge to be up past the witching hour. That hour when witching takes place. Whatever exactly witching may be...

For me it's more like the TWITCHING hour...that hour at which I get so angry that I'm not sleeping that I start twitching with fury. And exhaustion.

And.

Still.

Can't.

Fucking.

Sleep.

rxvenomqueen
01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I've learned that sleep and I have a love/hate relationship. I love sleeping in my oh-so warm and soft bed, love the feeling of my head falling on that feather pillow...but hate how things are going unfinished. Imagine how many tasks could get accomplished. Worst of all, think how much writing could be done in that time! Now THAT'S torture!

Stlight
01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Sleep beginning in the late hours of the morning - 4 am - 6 am seems best for me. But no matter when I lie down, immediately ideas to fix various stories start and I'm scribling in the dark, keep pen and paper by bed and refuse to turn the light on. (I don't know why I won't turn the light on, I'm not sure I want to know.)

brad_b
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Bio-rhythms, go figure. Mine are rather complex at times. Like now, sleeping soundly one minute and then wide-awake and thinking of writing. I haven't been at AW very long but now find writing a constant 'thread' in my mind. I have a seasonal job, landscaping, and when I work I sleep soundly at night and usually wake up with the chickens. - early. Winter is different and also the time I write the most. I'm with the 'think sleep is a waste of time' folks but once I get there, my body and mind know I need it, and I cherish it.

Bio-rhythms are different for all and as long as I listen to my body I do alright. I find when I force myself to stay awake, that's when my mind gets tired. I usually write more at night and in the wee hours...something about being up in the still time when most are asleep is restful in its own right.

Cassiopeia
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
*waves* Insomniac here. I mean come on, my nickname is an indication of that. I'm up all night long but not always shiny and twinkly. ;)

I don't hate sleep. I envy people who put their head down on the pillow and they are out like a light and stay asleep all night long. Actually now that I think about it, I love sleep and I hate them. Them being those who actually can sleep.

:D

MoonWriter
01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Lightweights! All of you, except brad b, his light is still on. :)

ETA - and Cassi, but her light is never on. But is she home?

Cassiopeia
01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Lightweights! All of you, except brad b, his light is still on. :)So like, dude. What did you do instead of sleeping? Huh ..HUH?

I got some work done on my non-fiction book (1551 words written) and updated my blog. Lightweight indeed! :tongue

JennaGlatzer
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey, I'm still up, too. ;)

Broadswordbabe
01-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes, it is! You feeling OK, Ed?

Seconded - do try and get out and get some light, if you're in the northern hemisphere - it's too easy to get depressed at this time of year.

And Jcomp, I'm with you-- I love the feeling of sleep, but I HATE THAT I HAVE TO SLEEP!

Argh, me too! I thought about trying that polyphasic sleep schedule thing where you nap for 15 minutes 4 times a day or whatever it is, but I think I'd probably go psycho.

Psycho-er.

Anyone ever tried it?

scarletpeaches
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM

No, that's exhaustion!

Actually sleeping all the time, if you could...yeah, that's a sign, though.

*smooches Ferret*

I don't get enough sleep myself, and I resent the need for it. I'm with Jcomp. Not needing to sleep would mean I'd get so much more done. Just think - an extra eight hours every day. I could finish my first drafts in a fortnight!

Perks
01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm very conflicted about sleep. I resent the hell out of it, but it's so nice to my eyes.

I envy those people who feel rested after about four hours. Left to my own rhythms, I'd probably sleep nine hours a night. More than a third of my life!

I almost never have any trouble falling asleep, though. If I'm horizontal and I shut up for more than three minutes, I'm gone. But I can't nap. Never could. If I sleep during the day, my heart gets all trembly and the cotton wool doesn't clear out of my head until I go back to bed and do it up all proper.

scarletpeaches
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I get like that too, Perks. I CAN nap, but if I do so for more than an hour or two, I get a head full of cotton wool and strangely, am more susceptible to migraines.

GeorgeK
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I didn't sleep much and misread the title. I was sitting there thinking, "Why the heck does he hate sheep? I bet he's never even met one."

illiterwrite
01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I would love to be the only one in my family who didn't need sleep. I could have 8+ whole hours to myself every day, and that would be just grand.

Pagey's_Girl
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Sleeping I don't mind so much - I sometimes get great plot ideas from my dreams - but I really wish I could live on fresh air, water and sunshine like my houseplants. (well, maybe fresh air, water, sunshine and diet Dr. Pepper...) Maybe then I'd still fit into those perfect size seven jeans I've never had the heart to get rid of...

Shadow_Ferret
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
*checks the time stamps on the posts on the previous page*

Sheesh, people. Don't you ever sleep? :D

*goes back to sleep*

JLCwrites
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm very conflicted about sleep. I resent the hell out of it, but it's so nice to my eyes.

I envy those people who feel rested after about four hours. Left to my own rhythms, I'd probably sleep nine hours a night. More than a third of my life!

I almost never have any trouble falling asleep, though. If I'm horizontal and I shut up for more than three minutes, I'm gone. But I can't nap. Never could. If I sleep during the day, my heart gets all trembly and the cotton wool doesn't clear out of my head until I go back to bed and do it up all proper.

Same here. I need 9 hrs to function correctly, and if I nap, it should be less than 20 min. Any longer and I feel awky the rest of the day.

Clair Dickson
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't hate sleep, but there are more than a few nights when I'd just rather stay up. I'd rather stay up working or puttering around. I'm nocturnal, but having to get up for work in the morning kind of doesn't work with that.

I really hate it when I eat something that irritates my allergies... then I spend several days or weeks just feeling fatigued. I wake up sleepy and drag myself through the day until I can find my way back into the bed.

I hate getting out of bed in the morning. It's so warm and comfy and soft...

Thump
01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I look forward to sleepy time :D It's my favorite part of the day! My dreams are either awesome or yummy :P I wish I could sleep MORE. Who cares about accomplishing things? I'm sorry I can't live without food and drink. Then, I could sleep more time and enjoy myself.

Jcomp
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. I average about 6 hours a night and it's never enough. Personally, I really should get at least 8 hours, but I can't stand it. During the week, after work, I just keep thinking "The sooner you go to sleep, the sooner you have to go back to work." So I stay up. On the weekend or days off, if I sleep past 10 I'm upset with myself for "wasting" time off. I always feel like I'm missing out on something. Been like that since I was a kid.

scarletpeaches
01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Maybe we should all do speed?

Cassiopeia
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Lightweights! All of you, except brad b, his light is still on. :)

ETA - and Cassi, but her light is never on. But is she home?That's the scary thing, hey? You never know. :D

Grrarrgh
01-08-2009, 03:45 AM
You know what annoys the f out of me about sleep? When I go lay down in bed at the end of the day and lay there for hours and hours, so exhausted and desperate for sleep that I can't even think about anything else. Read, write, lights/TV on, lights/TV off, nothing works.

Yet without fail, as soon as I put a movie in my DVD player, I am out like a light. But that doesn't work at night, of course. Only in the middle of the day or early evening when I actually really want to watch the movie. Stupid sleep.

roncouch
01-08-2009, 03:53 AM
I love to sleep, and get about seven hours per night. I also take an early afternoon nap that lasts around ninety minutes. Life is good.

Cassiopeia
01-08-2009, 04:52 AM
You know what annoys the f out of me about sleep? When I go lay down in bed at the end of the day and lay there for hours and hours, so exhausted and desperate for sleep that I can't even think about anything else. Read, write, lights/TV on, lights/TV off, nothing works.

Yet without fail, as soon as I put a movie in my DVD player, I am out like a light. But that doesn't work at night, of course. Only in the middle of the day or early evening when I actually really want to watch the movie. Stupid sleep.
I have certain movies in my collection that I call my comfort/feel good movies. When I can't sleep at night, I put them in the dvd player and I set the TV timer to shut off it's own and I put the sound on low. I fall asleep to them. It's a bad habit maybe but lately I've tried to go without and I'm back to not sleep well at night.

I think it's from all those years of listening for my kids and now it's too quiet in the house.

In case anyone is curious my movies I like to fall asleep to are: Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Somethings gotta give, Passion of Mind, Half Light, Stargate, The Holiday, Tomb Raider....to name a few. :D

Pagey's_Girl
01-08-2009, 05:02 AM
I can't sleep without a fan running on low, for the noise.

scarletpeaches
01-08-2009, 05:09 AM
You know what helps me? The washing machine.

My bed backs up against the kitchen wall and it's a years-old washer/dryer and rumbles like hell, but it's white noise and it helps me drop off to sleep.

brad_b
01-08-2009, 05:29 AM
You know what helps me? The washing machine.

My bed backs up against the kitchen wall and it's a years-old washer/dryer and rumbles like hell, but it's white noise and it helps me drop off to sleep.

Some folks use the sound of waves on the beach, wind blowing through trees, soft lullabys, this is the first time I've heard of 'washing machine sonata'. Maybe you could market that one SP.

scarletpeaches
01-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Maybe it's my OCD thinking, "Clean clothes...and laundry to iron in the morning, tra la la..."

Jcomp
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
It's hard for me to sleep in total silence, I like a bit of noise.

Washing machine eh? On spin cycle, or...?

Stlight
01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
If washer is right up against wall and bed on other side and against should be vibrating too. I had a cat who liked sleeping on top of the washer when it was running. He'd always smack the front to make the lid fall shut before he jumped up on it.

mario_c
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Posting late because, well, I'm in insomniac mode. Not enough hours in a day (and too many taken up by my f#$%in job...well there's an opportunity for naps). Gonna put on John DiLoberto's 'Echoes' program, that'll knock me out.

jennifer75
01-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Last night I stayed up too late and ended up oversleeping this morning, being late for work like an idiot. Fortunately I'm salary, so the boss can only get so upset when you're regularly putting in ridiculous hours anyway. Still, I hated it. I'm not about un-professionalism. But I feel it again tonight, an urge to be up past the witching hour. That hour when witching takes place. Whatever exactly witching may be...

Last night I vowed to get up early and read/write. I'm on vacation so I wanted to get some reading/writing done.

Had wine last night, watched a flick, crashed about eleven o'clock...did I get up early as I had hoped I would? Nope. Did I read/write at all this morning/afternoon...nope. Why? Cause sleep is so dammmmmmmmmmmmmn sweet. I love it and wish I could do more of it. I also wish there was an extra 8 hours in the day to make up for all the sweet glorious sleep I would partake in.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sleep. I love sleep.

jennifer75
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
It's hard for me to sleep in total silence, I like a bit of noise.

Washing machine eh? On spin cycle, or...?

I can handle noise, or silence. What I can't handle is BRIGHT LIGHT!!!!! My new bedroom (I just moved) has 5, count them - FIVE - windows in it. All are covered with cheap-previous-tenant-IKEA shades made of white paper stuff.....When I am awoken (God when you see that word spelled out it looks bizarre) the room is blinding white. I have to cover my face with the blanket but then I can't breathe. So I have a sleeping mask, but I forget to keep it near the bed for when I need it most.

It's horrible. Bright light. Horrible. I need sunglasses in bed.

shyne
01-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Can't be with you on this one cooley high harmony. I love sleep and the things that come with it like waking up and not knowing what is going on, being groggy from too much sleep and bumping into stuff, blaming things on oversleeping, not hearing storms because I'm sleeping so hard, and even the smell of saliva on my pillow.

Unique
01-10-2009, 02:45 AM
(http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B0fkRHtJnSeH5Hoz8ygXK_LWdBuOj2GzhyoPbBMCNtwHg3C oQARgBIOri1AYoAjgAUN7c5OIGYMm2q4fco_ARsgEVd3d3LmFi c29sdXRld3JpdGUuY29tugEJNzI4eDkwX2FzyAEB2gFCaHR0cD ovL3d3dy5hYnNvbHV0ZXdyaXRlLmNvbS9mb3J1bXMvc2hvd3Ro cmVhZC5waHA_dD0xMjY3NTgmcGFnZT0yyAKft-UGqAMByAMH6AP5BOgDA-gD0AToA78B9QMAAQAE9QMAAgIAmAQA&num=1&ggladgrp=1811844616612866603&gglcreat=9265189075464918206&adurl=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click%3Flid%3D43000000074177527%26ds_s_kwgid%3D580 00000001392754%26ds_e_adid%3D1119601697%26ds_e_mat chtype%3Dcontent%26ds_url_v%3D2&client=ca-pub-9577824630550042&nm=8)Waking up at 2AM? (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B0fkRHtJnSeH5Hoz8ygXK_LWdBuOj2GzhyoPbBMCNtwHg3C oQARgBIOri1AYoAjgAUN7c5OIGYMm2q4fco_ARsgEVd3d3LmFi c29sdXRld3JpdGUuY29tugEJNzI4eDkwX2FzyAEB2gFCaHR0cD ovL3d3dy5hYnNvbHV0ZXdyaXRlLmNvbS9mb3J1bXMvc2hvd3Ro cmVhZC5waHA_dD0xMjY3NTgmcGFnZT0yyAKft-UGqAMByAMH6AP5BOgDA-gD0AToA78B9QMAAQAE9QMAAgIAmAQA&num=1&ggladgrp=1811844616612866603&gglcreat=9265189075464918206&adurl=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click%3Flid%3D43000000074177527%26ds_s_kwgid%3D580 00000001392754%26ds_e_adid%3D1119601697%26ds_e_mat chtype%3Dcontent%26ds_url_v%3D2&client=ca-pub-9577824630550042&nm=8)
Get a Full Night's Sleep Learn How
getsomesleep.com
(http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=B0fkRHtJnSeH5Hoz8ygXK_LWdBuOj2GzhyoPbBMCNtwHg3C oQARgBIOri1AYoAjgAUN7c5OIGYMm2q4fco_ARsgEVd3d3LmFi c29sdXRld3JpdGUuY29tugEJNzI4eDkwX2FzyAEB2gFCaHR0cD ovL3d3dy5hYnNvbHV0ZXdyaXRlLmNvbS9mb3J1bXMvc2hvd3Ro cmVhZC5waHA_dD0xMjY3NTgmcGFnZT0yyAKft-UGqAMByAMH6AP5BOgDA-gD0AToA78B9QMAAQAE9QMAAgIAmAQA&num=1&ggladgrp=1811844616612866603&gglcreat=9265189075464918206&adurl=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click%3Flid%3D43000000074177527%26ds_s_kwgid%3D580 00000001392754%26ds_e_adid%3D1119601697%26ds_e_mat chtype%3Dcontent%26ds_url_v%3D2&client=ca-pub-9577824630550042&nm=8)

There's your answer - right there at the bottom of the page. Nifty, eh?

I haven't been sleeping well lately. I can't count how many times I wake up at night .. 6 - 8 - 12 - who knows. It's pissing me off because I like to sleep and it's not healthy waking up that much. I even bought a "sleep aid" today at wally world. I hope it helps. :(