Old maps from the world capitals

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Anybody knows where I can find maps of Victorian London, 1940's New York City, etc.? Some sort of website where I can check maps of cities trough different ages and parts of the world?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks for contributing with London and Europe... but I am also seeking from Latin America...

Thanks, Corpus. That link helped me. My problem is that I can't get inside my setting... everything seems so random and out of order.

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for contributing with London and Europe... but I am also seeking from Latin America...

Try a library, particularly a university library. Ours has TONS of old maps. Like, they have a map of Jerusalem in the 12th century. It's not a big uni library, either.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Do a google search for Castaneda maps - this should bring up several hits for the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection. Several libraries have many of them on line (Univ of Texas for one). They have historical cities, searchable by first initial of the city. I've used these maps several times and am always amazed at what all is available. Puma

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I found an atlas from 1943 in a used book sale. It not only had country's maps and population figures, but also maps of notable cities.

The map of Manhattan would not have changed considerably between 1940 and today. The biggest changes between then and now would be the addition of freeways, none of which actually get on to the island of manhattan (so far as I know, I may be wrong, having never lived there). Aside from a few extra bridges and tunnels, the street plan of manhattan was laid out in the mid 19th century, and remains largely unchanged...oh wait, I forgot the large reclaimation projects. Battery park and the World Trade Center area were once water, which has since been filled in. They would not have existed in the 1940s And the use of much land has changed. What were vast dockyards in 1940 are now vast parklands. This probably wouldn't show up on a map. "The Waterfront" used not to be a very nice place. Now it is. I expect that the character of many regions are vastly changed. You won't find that on a map.

Last edited: