The Definition of Irony

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I bought my wife this double strand freshwater pearl bracelet for Christmas. The pearls looked like little shining Rice Crispies.

She hated it. She's a plain gold or silver bracelet kind of girl.

She ranted about hating it and my not knowing her tastes. (Take into account that Christmas is rather stressful time because we have to visit my annoying family and her annoying family within a few hours of each.)

Anyway, a few days later she tries it on. "Let me think about it."

OK.

So she wears it to work and everyone raved about how beautiful it was, told her to think outside the box, and that she owed me an apology.

OK, fine. Now she's really liking it.

It broke the next day.

:D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Irony or poetic justice :ROFL:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Can't you just buy another box of Cracker Jacks?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I buy perma-press everything. No irony for me. I don't even own an irony board.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I buy perma-press everything. No irony for me. I don't even own an irony board.

**Snerk**

Don't get me started on Cracker Jacks! When was the last time there was an actual "prize" in those things? All you get now are paper items, like tattoos or tiny 2 page puzzle books.

I used to like the tattoo book. And the put the bb in the dogs nose game

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Irony or karma - not sure which. Although I know it's the one of the two that often whacks me upside the head....

BTW, did the necklace cord break or was it the clasp? They're both easier to fix than it looks. :)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Restringing's easy, but it's addictive. It's what's led to me having a bead stash equal to the GNP of a small nation. (Of course, if civilization as we know it does really end in a couple of years and we all go back to using beads for money, well then - I'm going to be the real-life Aunty Entity of the new post-apocolyspe apockalyps alpoco END OF THE WORLD world....

ETA - No, I don't have spellcheck on this machine here at work. As you can see, that's a problem...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, I bought it online and when I was looking to return it, you have to take a copy of the receipt, which doubles as a mailing label (without any sticky, so then you have to tape it to the box), then you have to take it to a special carrier (at my expense) so it's sent securely, afterwhich you have to go and stand on your front lawn in a chicken costume and scream, "Pluck me! Pluck me!"

However, when I called about it being broken, they said they'd send a nice mailing label and I can drop it off in any FedEx box.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else think about that scene in Reality Bites when they saw the title of this thread, where Winona Ryder is asked to define irony? "I know it when I see it."

She ranted about hating it and my not knowing her tastes.

Dude. It sounds gorgeous.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Restringing's easy, but it's addictive. It's what's led to me having a bead stash equal to the GNP of a small nation. (Of course, if civilization as we know it does really end in a couple of years and we all go back to using beads for money, well then - I'm going to be the real-life Aunty Entity of the new post-apocolyspe apockalyps alpoco END OF THE WORLD world....

ETA - No, I don't have spellcheck on this machine here at work. As you can see, that's a problem...
It's the Poppy Eclipse!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Did anyone else think about that scene in Reality Bites when they saw the title of this thread, where Winona Ryder is asked to define irony? "I know it when I see it."

Dude. It sounds gorgeous.

That's exactly what I thought of when I read the thread title. I just didn't think anybody would know what I was talking about. I love when she later asked Troy...good ole Troy just quips, "It's when the actual meaning is the complete opposite from the literal meaning."