Questions about RNA interference

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a general idea of what RNA interference is (RNA being inserted into a cell to interfere with specific gene functions). But I was hoping that somebody out there can answer some questions for me:

How long does this interference last? Is it permanent or will it only continue as long as new RNA interceptors are introduced into the cells?

Furthermore, how long would these RNA interceptors last in the natural environment? Do they degrade quickly or are they a long-term nuisance?

Thanks!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.ambion.com/techlib/hottopics/rnai/, page 7:

So far, injection and transfection of dsRNA into cells and organisms have been the main method of delivery of siRNA. And while the silencing effect lasts for several days and does appear to be transferred to daughter cells, it does eventually diminish.

You would need to talk to someone in cancer research for further technical details. Maybe outlining how you intend to you this information in your WIP might be useful?

-cb

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously double check this, but pulling from memory of microbiology:

RNA is what copies the information on genes during cellular division. The DNA double helix splits apart and the single RNA helix takes the place of the other strand, matching the base pairs from the DNA (except that thymine becomes uracil in RNA).

RNA interference can be used to suppress specific genes by blocking them from being copied into the new DNA strand for the replicating cells. If they're not copied, then the new cells won't express those genes. However, the genes are still there in the chromosomes, so eventually the supression is going to give way to the cell's original expressed form.

(Again.. double check this.)

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ambion.com/techlib/hottopics/rnai/, page 7:

You would need to talk to someone in cancer research for further technical details. Maybe outlining how you intend to you this information in your WIP might be useful?

-cb

Thanks.

I'm planning on using it in multiple forms: therapeutic (mainly to boost human performance through the suppression or activation of certain genes; mainly short term) and weaponized (to go after crops or livestock or to eliminate a human population without leaving a lasting danger). Yes, I'm expecting somebody from Homeland Security at my door any minute.