50 page synopsis...what should I write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashlee111

Registered
Reaction score
50 word synopsis...what should I write?

Hi, again. I have to write a 50 word synopsis for my romance book. My question is, what do they expect me to write? This is all new to me. Please, any suggestions? The publisher was not clear on this one. Am I supposed to write a synosis about my book? Thank you. ashlee111 :Huh:

Last edited:

ashlee111

Registered
Reaction score
Correction..50 word synopsis....sorry

I just can't type today...sorry, I meant 50 WORD synopsis.:Smack: .

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That's very breif. I guess about a sentence each along the lines of.

-Overall summary of book
-main characters
-the obstacle/enemy
-the conflict/challenge
-broad themes or hint as to how it is resolved?

I find the best method can be to look at blurbs for other books that they have already published and substiture your characters and plot. Then you can be sure you are doing it their way.

ashlee111

Registered
Reaction score
This is like a full time job....writing a synopsis

Thank you. I never thought of checking out the other books people wrote. They one they gave me, was not for a fiction or romance, book. It was for a non-fiction book, which did not help me, any. Usually the ones posted on the backs of the book are, for example; "The new york times bestseller" Or." "Joe blow, does it again with this new blockbuster of a book!" I can't use stuff like that. ashlee111

veinglory said:

-Overall summary of book
-main characters
-the obstacle/enemy
-the conflict/challenge

I find the best method can be to look at blurbs for other books that they have already published and substiture your characters and plot. Then you can be sure you are doing it their way.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you hunt through the website you should find some simlar content for a roughly similar book. If you PM me the name of the publisher i will have a look.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
veinglory said:

-Overall summary of book
-main characters
-the obstacle/enemy
-the conflict/challenge

50 words is not going to allow her to write all these sentences. A 50 word summary is more like a high concept sentence. 50 words is what you might use in an ad. I have some examples. Give me a couple minutes and I'll be back with them. :)

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Okay, here's a couple from my books. One is less than 50 words, one is right around 50 words, and one is more. (but still only around 80). They vary because of the amount of ad space I had. This kind of summary is great for query letters.

You do want to show the conflict and if you can, the marketing hook. (that's more applicable for category romance than single title.)

Four years ago, scared and alone, Lexie Jacobs arrived in Mill Creek, Montana with $24.63 in her pocket and a baby in her belly. The money was hers. The baby… wasn't. And now Daddy's found them. (36 words)

Modern medicine can replace a worn, defective heart, but only love can heal a broken one. At Camp Firefly Wishes, a summer camp for transplant kids and their families, divorced teacher Racheal Thompson faces her fear of loving and losing again when she falls for single-dad James McClain and his match-making, heart-transplant-recipient daughter Molly. (54 words.)

Sometimes life tests a man… His rebellious teenage daughter is pregnant by the boy he forbid her to see. His girlfriend - the one who was just going to be his ease-back-into-dating friend, until she crawled under his skin and into his heart - is also pregnant, and not sure she wants to have his baby, let alone marry him. Now Sloan Thompson is searching for the right thing to do for everyone involved and not sure he's going to survive…The Pregnancy Test. (83 words)

Susan G.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
State your main characters, settings, and main conflict/story. Look at the book jackets of some of your favorite books for examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.