Bad Tarot Redux

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Folks,

I asked this question in another part of the forum, and several respondents advised me to repost in this section. I guess they felt those who frequent this subforum would be able to get me closer to where I need to be.

Basically, I'm looking for this: a reader in Santa Monica is always, without fail, turning up a sequence of cards that spell doom and damnation. For every client. For herself. Even for her pet dog.

It looks like the 10 of Swords, the Castle, Death, and the Ten (?) of Wands might be the best sequence to suggest this. Would this be the case?

A thousand thanks.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Yes ma'am, I have been there, and it's of great help. Regrettably, I can't even win at strip poker, much less tarot cards!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see that spread as meaning literal death. It's a Hollywood example of what a death read might look like. In reality, I would read this spread as a self-defeating person who really kinda feels sorry for themselves to the point of creating some real personal problems that could lead to a major change in the way they live their day-to-day life if they don't get their head out of their butt. Haha. :D

Some cards that could mean death if used together in a spread:

5 of pentacles--bad health
10 of swords--bottomed out
hanged man--ending a struggle
Death
8 of wands--conclusion

There are just about as many ways to do a spread as there are readers. Some will argue that there is only ONE true way to read. That's total BS. Use it however you want. Some just throw out three cards representing past, present and future, and some use a very detailed Celtic cross spread. Some read the Celtic cross spread on way, and some read it a different way. Again, it's all up to the reader. Basically, a person who reads will read those cards however they speak to them, no matter how many people have written books on the one true way to read. Have fun with it! :D

Last edited:

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Not death--doom and damnation. Bad things for all. That kind of stuff. I'm looking for some sequence that has a much deeper meaning than just death... :)

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
I think I replied in your other thread as well, but there really is no card, or sequence of cards, that is going to equal doom and damnation. The cards that have been suggested already are about as "negative" as it gets. The tarot is too nuanced and layered to give extremely definitive responses.

Personally I would just have the cards burst into flame or something. That might give off the desired impression.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I would just have the cards burst into flame or something. That might give off the desired impression.

LOL!!! I can just see that!!

The thing about the Tarot is that yes, there are certain cards that mean certain things. But the nuances that eveningstar is talking about are a huge part of the entire process of a read. It's not like you throw out a read and each card will invariably mean the same thing it did last time it popped up in a read. There are so many factors, especially including the cards surrounding it and whether they support the one card or not. The position of the card in the spread also has a lot to do with determining the meaning. For example, the tower in the past and the Sun in the future could mean the querent is coming through a terrible time and into a much better time. Those two cards in different positions would mean a whole different situation.

Also, we can't forget the reader and their personal relationship with their cards. I can throw out a read and read it one way, but if my husband looks at it he will often get a completely different idea of the situation. The cards will express themselves to the reader in a way that the reader understands. Further, I can't use my husband's cards and he can't use mine. He gets gibberish from mine and I get the same from his.

P.S. I might be wrong, but I don't think there is anything in a Universal Waite based tarot deck that relates to damnation.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My husband just had a great idea. If you want doom and bad stuff for all, maybe consider having your reader use the H.R. Giger tarot deck. They're gonna find the awfulness in everything and everyone because that's what they do. They are a deck designed specifically to read the yuck in the querent.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
In a story, I'd leave out any mention of the Death card in a reading. Too trite. The tower is a good one to use instead.

Tarot readers are like weather forcasters in Minnesota. Too many variables to be 100 percent accurate. It's all in the reader's intritation and that can be accurate or not. Most tarot readers I know will hesitate in telling clients when they see a huge negative because they might be very wrong and will cause more problems and worry. They'd more likely say something like, "Be very careful about your health for the next six months. Perhaps you should get a full check-up at the doctor's."

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
You might want to browse some tarot packs for the imagery too - I don't know how you're conveying this, but there could be images that the querent responds to particularly.

There are plenty of cards with dark or strong imagery - the hanged man, the blasted tower, and the 10 of swords, 5 of cups, 5 of swords all show people in pain or crying. The 10 of swords is particularly graphic.

You can see the standard Rider-Waite deck here: http://tarot.com/tarot/decks/index.php?deckID=23

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
OT: question

I'm not too "new" to the concept of Tarot, but not a pro either.

If the cards consistently come up in the same patterns, for different people, that would be more than enough(IMO) for the reader to wig out. The odds are practically impossible for that to happen.

OK, now for my question: (which is semi-related)

Whenever I do a spread for myself, or have someone else pull a spread for me, the "self" card (or my signifier, or the first card turned - dependent on the type of spread...) is ALWAYS (not kidding) the Magician.

Anyone have thoughts on why this happens?

Amy

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Most tarot readers I know will hesitate in telling clients when they see a huge negative because they might be very wrong and will cause more problems and worry. They'd more likely say something like, "Be very careful about your health for the next six months. Perhaps you should get a full check-up at the doctor's."

I have a very different opinion about that. If someone came to me for a read and I saw something that I didn't tell them, I would consider that not much different from lying to them. To me, if they asked me outright for a read, it's my responsibility to tell them what I see exactly as I see it.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
If the cards consistently come up in the same patterns, for different people, that would be more than enough(IMO) for the reader to wig out. The odds are practically impossible for that to happen.

It happens- and it could be a message for the reader. (Not to say that all the cards in every spread keep repeating, but the same few cards showing up over and over within different readings, yep)

OK, now for my question: (which is semi-related)

Whenever I do a spread for myself, or have someone else pull a spread for me, the "self" card (or my signifier, or the first card turned - dependent on the type of spread...) is ALWAYS (not kidding) the Magician.

Anyone have thoughts on why this happens?

Amy

Well, either you embody the qualities of the magician or there's something in that card you need to learn?

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
It happens- and it could be a message for the reader. (Not to say that all the cards in every spread keep repeating, but the same few cards showing up over and over within different readings, yep)

Well, either you embody the qualities of the magician or there's something in that card you need to learn?
both, probably. I mean, I'm highly adaptable, have picked myself up from nothing at least twice, and am creative.

But, the lesson to learn is that the power comes from without, rather than within, right? I have to learn to depend on other people once in a while too....

This is as good as therapy...

:)

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
But, the lesson to learn is that the power comes from without, rather than within, right? I have to learn to depend on other people once in a while too....

:)

I guess it depends on what type of power you are trying to utilize? I'm a firm believer that all our personal power comes from within. But, if you are the type of person who isn't accustomed to accepting help from others, perhaps you do need to give yourself permission to do that. That would mean, changing the way you perceive your ability to accept help from others and what you define as "help". The magician, I'm sure you know- is often about realizing you have all the tools necessary to complete your tasks or accomplish your goals. Sometimes, tools are in the form of resources or knowledge, rather than just people. Anyway, it's hard to tell really since I don't know you at all.

This is as good as therapy...

Well, I'm no therapist..and not even a professional reader. Take what works and leave the rest :)