Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Is there any particular scripture you think about when you're feeling low?

Psalm 3:6 is one I've always liked when I'm feeling kicked in... "
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about."

Feel like I need more today. I've been trying to do good things, and I'm really coming up hard against the "no good deed goes unpunished" cliche. I don't know why I always expect people to be righteous. But I do, so I'm continually disappointed when they're not.

Need some good words to help bolster my spirit. Got any for me?

(P.S. In case you're wondering, "Hey, isn't Jenna Jewish?", nope. I get that a lot. Grandfather was, hence the last name. Grandmother was Catholic. Parents were Catholic. I'm Episcopal. Bunch of mutts, we are. I forget that people assume I'm Jewish until I get Passover e-mails.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:35-39

This will bear you up through anything.

(It's so powerful for me that it was really the sole inspiration for the novel I've finished and am trying to find an agent for.)

- the Lily

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Jenna,

One of my all time favorites:

Psalm 37:1-8

Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity
For they shall soon be cut down like the grass
And wither as the green herb

Trust in the Lord and do good,
Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness
And He shall give you the desires of your heart

Commit your way to the Lord
Trust also in Him
And He shall bring it to pass
He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light
And your justice as the noonday

Rest in the Lord
And wait patiently for Him'
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way
Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass
Cease from anger, and forsake wrath
Do not fret--it only causes harm.

Whenever I read these seven verses I'm reminded of the justice and mercy of God and his promises to me his child.

Sonya

Registered
Reaction score
Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

Psalms 9:9 "The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble."

Psalms 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."

John 10:10 (second half of the verse) "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

rich

Really fooled me, Jenna. An NYC girl and all. Funny, you look Jewish.

I was raised Catholic with devout Catholic parents--attended Catholic schools. When my grandfather died--at 86, of a stroke, trying to jack up a bungalow--it was the first I learned that he was Episcopalian. At the wake I turned to my brother and said, "You know, this means we're part WASP."

Back on thread: can we get some of the Christians here to quote verse without the Lord being the center of it? There are many good ones.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, no one who thought you were Jewish should be puzzled at your asking for biblical quotations – no one who knows where the Old Testament came from.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ah, yes, but Reph, I posted in the Christian forum.

Thank you for these verses! I'm gonna stick 'em all on my desktop so I can keep re-reading them today.

rich

Coulda been an asking of either o/t or n/t. Among other religious books, I do have a King James version.

Rep? Please don't throw me in the briar patch.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is above rubies."

(From memory, and I might have got a word or two wrong.)

uugeejay

Psalms 27:14

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

--

Psalms 31:24

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

--

Isaiah 41:10

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

--

1 Peter 5:10

And the God of all grace, who called you unto his eternal glory in Christ, after that ye have suffered a little while, shall himself perfect, establish, strengthen you.

--
Will in Central Texas

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Feel like I need more today. I've been trying to do good things, and I'm really coming up hard against the "no good deed goes unpunished" cliche.

Well, given your situation, I suggest:

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

- Col 3:23

It may be true that no good deed goes unpunished...which is why Col. 3:23 is good to keep in mind.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Jenna...here's one of my favorites, but it's from the Message translation, which doesn't list the verse numbers. Anyhoo, it's the first part of Psalm 37, just a little ways in (and it's highly apropos for what happened when you tried to show that PA gal the light, and she turned nasty on you):

"Open up before God, keep nothing back; he'll do whatever needs to be done. He'll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon.

"Quiet down before God, be prayerful before him. Don't bother with those who climb the ladder, who elbow their way to the top. Bridle your anger, trash your wrath, cool your pipes--it only makes things worse. Before long the crooks will be bankrupt..."

I like that a lot. Hope it helps!

John

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Boss, sorry to be late weighing in on this, RL has been keeping me busy!

Here are several favorites of mine:

God has not given you a spirit of timidity [fear], but of power and love and discipline [sound mind, self-control].
2 Timothy 1: 7

(The above verse got Lisa through 21 years of life and nearly 4 years of the Naval Academy!)

Thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
2 Corinthians 2: 14

Let everyone do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that, having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed.
2 Corinthians 9: 7-8

I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29: 11-13

(The following three verses are the backbone of my life mission statement.)

Let no unwholesome thing proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4: 29

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves have been comforted by God.
2 Corinthians 1: 4

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.
Phillipians 4: 8

And last but not least:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ.
Phillipians 1: 6

God's Word is powerful, Jenna. There's one verse that compares it to a sword, and it is the only offensive weapon mentioned when the Bible talks about the armor of God that we are to wear daily. I know I've found that it can conquer fear, grief, and pain, among other things. Go in there swinging it, girlfriend!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
:Hug2: Jenna. Hope things are better today!

Here are a few of the verses I turn to for strength and comfort:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
Philippians 4:13

"Casting all your care upon Him, for He careth for you."
1 Peter 5:7

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him."
Psalm 28:7

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
And Jehovah said unto Moses, here are tables of stone upon which I have written my words. Moses looked upon the stones, and Moses said unto Jehova, thank you for thinking of me. While these are well written, I’m afraid I’ll have to pass. If it was on vellum, ahhh...maybe, but we’re not doing stone anymore. Try the Hittites.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amusing, yes. Empowering, no. Bible verse? No

Why don't you trot it over to the office party, where it can get a wider, more amused audience. Thanks for playing...

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
One of my favorites. :Coffee:
"When you go to war against your enemies and you see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord God... will be with you.
Deuteronomy 20:1

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, when I'm having a bad day and want to throw in the towel, I reach for my Bible and read either the Psalms (try 1, 13, 16-46, 61-65, 121, and many others!) or the book of Philippians (so short you can read it all in about 10 minutes). It never fails to surpass my need...an oasis in the desert.

Jonny Ryan Mac

Bogey Golfer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I know its sad, but i really like my signature.

"The more you know, the more you get sad." may not be empowering to some people, but it reminds me of how to live my life. God is watching, and he has become sad by the state of his creation in so many words. So i will hold my head high and run

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain." - 1st Cor. 9:24 - "Always give it your all. even if you know you cannot abtian perfection. Thats why God plays golf."

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Is there any particular scripture you think about when you're feeling low?

Psalm 3:6 is one I've always liked when I'm feeling kicked in... "
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about."

Feel like I need more today. I've been trying to do good things, and I'm really coming up hard against the "no good deed goes unpunished" cliche. I don't know why I always expect people to be righteous. But I do, so I'm continually disappointed when they're not.

(P.S. In case you're wondering, "Hey, isn't Jenna Jewish?", nope. I get that a lot. Grandfather was, hence the last name. Grandmother was Catholic. Parents were Catholic. I'm Episcopal. Bunch of mutts, we are. I forget that people assume I'm Jewish until I get Passover e-mails.)

Jenna, I just finished a ms that is nonfiction Christian. It is about our trials in this world and I cite many I've come through and some I still fight. One verse was given to me in early college days in Sunday School. Our teacher prayed and asked God to let him give each of us a verse that would help us through our lives. Mine he hesitantly gave me after much prayer because it deals with the fact that we as Christians still have many trials BUT the Lord will deliver us out of them all! Not 99.9% or 3 out of 4, as I say in my ms, BUT He will deliver us out of them all. Psalms 34:18-19 The Lord is nigh unto them that is of a broken heart and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but He will deliver us out of them all.
I also think another favorite is perhaps what you need to hear right now. Matthew 5:11-12. This basically states that when we are pursecuted and lied about because you are His followers, you need to be happy. Your rewards will be great. Because you say you treat people as if they are righteous and are dissappointed, yes that's hard, but you are in the right. Keep your positive attitude and you will be rewarded. God is pleased. I'd rather have that!
Also this is a fun one for me. When someone has been unfair don't be taken in by it. Instead treat them with kindness and forgiveness. Please read Romans 12:19-21 and it states the same thing again in Proverbs 25:21-22.
Remember, people are not God. They are not perfect and they will disappoint.
Always remember God can bring good from any bad, we just have to look for it.
Remember He is with us during our trials.
I'm sorry for your hurt. Know that I said a prayer for you before I sent this. God bless. If I can offer any more support I would be more than happy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.