Is this door closed?

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
In August, I pitched an idea to a magazine and was very excited when the editor wrote back and asked me to call him. I explained in more detail what I wanted to do and answered his questions, and he said, "Let's do it! Let's plan on the November issue." Huzzah! This magazine is one of the three top mags in a particular industry (and one of them doesn't really pay, since they're the member mag). I said, "so, is about a month to get it to you OK?"? He said that was fine.

So, I write the article. It ended up taking slightly longer than a month, but only by a few days. It took me another week or so to get the pictures, but I sent the article as soon as it was done and the pictures when I had them, apologizing profusely. There was no actual deadline discussed. He did not respond to either the email with the article or the one with the pictures, in which I asked if he got the article and was everything OK?

The November issue came out, and my article was not in it. I sent the editor an email and asked if there was a problem with the article and if so I would be happy to fix it. Nothing. I thought, well maybe I got it to him too late for November so it'll be in December? Nope, not there either. I sent him one more email asking if he was still interested and have not received a reply. I'm guessing he's not, although it sure would be nice if he would tell me so I'm not left hanging!

So...the problem is, there are very few national-level magazines in this niche. I don't know what went wrong here...the only thing I can figure is that I was a little on the slow side in getting the article to him, but as I said, the only deadline we discussed was "about a month". Should I consider this door closed forever, or should I pitch him another idea?

I'm also pissed, because I have to find another market for this piece...and I look like an idiot to my sources for telling them it would be in this magazine and now it's not. I had pitched the idea to the other (paying) big mag in the niche and they ignored it, and I don't really think it's appropriate for the other mags in the industry (does that make sense?). GAH!

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably, for that article at that publication anyway. Doesn't mean you can't try pitching another article, at least once you figure out why he didn't run this one.

About your souces, just send them all a note thanking them for their time in talking to you and explain that the editor decided against running the article. When you get it placed somewhere else drop them another note letting them know where their quotes can be found.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Is it possible that there was a personnel change at that magazine? That has happened to me twice, with similar results to yours. In one instance, thankfully the old editor accepted my article and paid for it before leaving, even though I don't think it will ever see the light of day in the mag. In the other, my article is in limbo with no pay and an awkward position with my sources. I advise checking to see if the editor is still there.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Barb, the magazine changed owners earlier in the year, but the editor is the same. They just sent out a newsletter a few days ago and he was still listed as the editor. I guess I could, *gasp*, call him...

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
ritinrider, thanks for the suggestion about the sources. I should do that.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have his personal email or a generic "editor" one? I emailed a query to a magazine and the editor liked it and wanted it for February. She hit reply in her response to me, so I thought the email was her main one. In December, she sent a generic email to all of her writers about getting their stuff in, but I didn't notice that it was from her personal address. I sent my article to the original "editor" one and didn't hear back for a week. Turns out she doesn't check that one often and I should have sent the piece to the second address. Hope that wasn't too confusing, lol.

Bottom line, doublecheck the email address. Also, I'd call :)

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
It was his personal email...but I just realized I sent it to the gmail address he used when he replied to my query, which was sent via an online form. After your post though, I got curious so I looked at the newsletter, and there's an official email for him at the magazine. I just resent him my "hey, do you still want to use this or not" (written politely and professionally, of course) email to the one at the magazine. Maybe gmail sent my previous emails to junk mail and he never got it, or he rarely checks it or something!

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a great step, but if you don't hear back by early next week, I'd still call (never on Mondays, ugh). When you do speak with him, I wouldn't mention about it being "late" since there wasn't really a formal deadline, just politely inquire about whether or not he is still interested or if he needs anything further from you.

Best wishes!

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll be...he wrote back this morning and said my emails were going to the wrong address, and he still wants it!

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...I am just totally thrilled! This is a huge break for me.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Twinkle, isn't it nice when things work out?

I had a similar situation (sort of). This thread encouraged me to send a follow-up email. Good results too, I posted about it here.