don't try this at home

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
So about 2 years ago someone rolled something over our hardwood floors leading from the kitchen into the living room leaving a 4-foot-long scratch. I went over it with steel wool, which lessened the appearance but left a sort of dull sheen. Over the weekend, I get info on line on an "old European formula" for getting rid of scratches in hardwood floors and I try it: equal parts of oil and vinegar left on the scratch for 12-24 hours. Happy days are here again.

Except ... Sunday I blot up the solution and ... you guessed it. It darkened the scratch. So now we have a beautiful dark golden 4-foot-long scratch leading from the kitchen into the living room. I can't cover it up with a rug because it would look awkward. And there were testaments on this particular Web site on how well the solution worked! They must have meant MINOR scratches (note to self).

It looks as though I'll have to sand it and then apply polyurethane.
Moral: Beware of old-fashioned remedies.

Lorie, trying to hide the blemish in her room's decor

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Or, if you like the colour of the scratch, you could apply the oil and vinegar remedy to the entire floor...

The thing about old-fashioned remedies (or new chemical ones, for that matter) is that you need to test them out first on a small piece of carpet or floor, because different woods and materials react differently to each remedy. It could be that your oil and vinegar mixture would work very well on a darker flooring, for example.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
yes, yes, you're right
I was so eager to get rid of the damn scratch I didn't pause to consider the ramifications.
Lesson learned.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like that swell stain remover that did indeed remove spaghetti sauce, and enough of the shirt's dye that I now have a lighter spot instead of a darker one?

Maryn, unable to feed herself

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or having a dips*** insist the hardwood floors have to be cleaned and buffed and to wax them, said dips*** buys bowling alley wax. Couldn't walk down the hallway with slipping and falling. For about a month afterward I had to crawl on my hands and knees to avoid breaking my leg.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Or having a dips*** insist the hardwood floors have to be cleaned and buffed and to wax them, said dips*** buys bowling alley wax. Couldn't walk down the hallway with slipping and falling. For about a month afterward I had to crawl on my hands and knees to avoid breaking my leg.

:ROFL:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score

That totally sounds like something my father would have done...

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
You could've bowled down your hallway until the balls soaked up the excess...

Last edited:

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Except ... Sunday I blot up the solution and ... you guessed it. It darkened the scratch. So now we have a beautiful dark golden 4-foot-long scratch leading from the kitchen into the living room.

I would try putting down some baking soda or kitty litter over the scratch, allow it to sit a couple of days then vacuum. What I'm thinking is that if you can get up the oil, the scratch may lighten. Neither substance will hurt the floor. You could also try some fine saw dust, it's very absorbent too.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
Or, if you like the colour of the scratch, you could apply the oil and vinegar remedy to the entire floor...

The thing about old-fashioned remedies (or new chemical ones, for that matter) is that you need to test them out first on a small piece of carpet or floor, because different woods and materials react differently to each remedy. It could be that your oil and vinegar mixture would work very well on a darker flooring, for example.

That was my remedy, too, Yeshanu. So my next stupid idea was try Magic Marker in yellow to lighten the streak - that or the guy's fallback remedy for everything - duct tape

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
You could also try some fine saw dust, it's very absorbent too.

This or the kitty litter idea might help lighten the scratch.

I'm wondering if this scratch will lighten up on its own, given some time. If it's not sealed with polyurethane yet, it might get lighter over time.

When it gets to the shade you want, seal it with polyurethane to fix it.

That's what I'd do, but I've ruined many, many things in DIY projects.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I would try putting down some baking soda or kitty litter over the scratch, allow it to sit a couple of days then vacuum. What I'm thinking is that if you can get up the oil, the scratch may lighten. Neither substance will hurt the floor. You could also try some fine saw dust, it's very absorbent too.

excellent idea - I will try that