Tarot card exercises

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I've had a couple of tarot decks over the years, but I still, to this day, have a hard time deciphering them. I just can't seem to remember some of the cards, and sometimes my intuition isn't strong enough to tell the meanings of them. Can anyone suggest some exercises to help better know my cards?

mariedees

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Check out Learntarot.com. It's a good and free course from Joan Bunning. l use it for reference a lot.

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
When I was learning I found it helpful to learn the minors in groups by number. All the 4s, all the 7s, etc. I put each group out and went over their meanings. Then I did them all by suit.

Once you know that 5s mean this and wands mean that, it's easier to pull the meaning of the 5 of wands out of your head.

I also found Rachel Pollack's book Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom helpful. It's long but it's a good, informative read.

Hope that helps!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, I'm going to recommend to you what was recommended to me by my hubby a long time ago. By the way, he's the best reader I've ever met. No, I'm not biased. Ok, maybe a little. :D

Anyhoo, if you have a basic Rider Waite deck or a Universal Waite deck, I really recommend studying with that one. There are a million and one tarots out there, but a large part of them are based on the Waite system. That system is good and solid to start off with. Another reason I say this is that they both usually come with a little booklet that might not seem like anything spectacular, but is actually stuffed full of your best info on the cards.

First, just read through the book to get familiar with it. It's true that each reader will get something just a little different than another with any given card, however learning the deepest meanings of your cards is like learning the alphabet. An A is an A, no matter what font you use. Different fonts can give you different feelings, but you still have to know that an A is an A. Really the simplest exercise for this that I know of is to start at the beginning of your book and pick each card out as you go through the book. Study the card and the imagery on it. It's all there for a reason. A woman in the background, a branch, children playing, fire, stained glass windows, or any image at all--it's on the card for a reason. Learn to associate the imagery with the deepest meaning of the card. Once you are comfy with your knowledge of it, move on to the next card and so on.

This is a long process. It's definitely not something you can master in a matter of days or even weeks. But I don't really think you are one to want something the quick and easy way. I take you more for a person who wants to know the root of all of it. As you go through, you'll get to a point where those cards spark something in you. That's when you know you are developing a relationship with them. They will become your cards. Not just a deck of cards that you bought. I don't think it's best to start trying out reads until you really get a good foundation on the meanings of your cards.

Like I said, it's a very time consuming task, but it's well worth it in the end. Once you really, truly know your cards, you can do any spread at all.

I forgot to mention--My husband and I both stopped allowing anyone to touch our cards several years ago. We participated in local fairs and our standard procedure was to allow each querent to handle the cards before their read. We stopped because they took on some of everyone else's energy and that really started to have a negative impact. Treat your Tarot like you treat your toothbrush. 'Mine, and mine alone" :D

Last edited:

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Study the card and the imagery on it. It's all there for a reason. A woman in the background, a branch, children playing, fire, stained glass windows, or any image at all--it's on the card for a reason. Learn to associate the imagery with the deepest meaning of the card. Once you are comfy with your knowledge of it, move on to the next card and so on.

This sounds very much like how Lyra reads the alethiometer in The Golden Compass.:)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
When I was learning I found it helpful to learn the minors in groups by number. All the 4s, all the 7s, etc. I put each group out and went over their meanings. Then I did them all by suit.

Once you know that 5s mean this and wands mean that, it's easier to pull the meaning of the 5 of wands out of your head.

I also found Rachel Pollack's book Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom helpful. It's long but it's a good, informative read.

Hope that helps!
That's an excellent suggestion, thank you. I always get the Minor Arcana much more jumbled than the Major Arcana, so this suggestion will probably help out quite a lot. Thanks again :)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tsuki, I'm going to recommend to you what was recommended to me by my hubby a long time ago. By the way, he's the best reader I've ever met. No, I'm not biased. Ok, maybe a little. :D

Anyhoo, if you have a basic Rider Waite deck or a Universal Waite deck, I really recommend studying with that one. There are a million and one tarots out there, but a large part of them are based on the Waite system. That system is good and solid to start off with. Another reason I say this is that they both usually come with a little booklet that might not seem like anything spectacular, but is actually stuffed full of your best info on the cards.

First, just read through the book to get familiar with it. It's true that each reader will get something just a little different than another with any given card, however learning the deepest meanings of your cards is like learning the alphabet. An A is an A, no matter what font you use. Different fonts can give you different feelings, but you still have to know that an A is an A. Really the simplest exercise for this that I know of is to start at the beginning of your book and pick each card out as you go through the book. Study the card and the imagery on it. It's all there for a reason. A woman in the background, a branch, children playing, fire, stained glass windows, or any image at all--it's on the card for a reason. Learn to associate the imagery with the deepest meaning of the card. Once you are comfy with your knowledge of it, move on to the next card and so on.

This is a long process. It's definitely not something you can master in a matter of days or even weeks. But I don't really think you are one to want something the quick and easy way. I take you more for a person who wants to know the root of all of it. As you go through, you'll get to a point where those cards spark something in you. That's when you know you are developing a relationship with them. They will become your cards. Not just a deck of cards that you bought. I don't think it's best to start trying out reads until you really get a good foundation on the meanings of your cards.

Like I said, it's a very time consuming task, but it's well worth it in the end. Once you really, truly know your cards, you can do any spread at all.

I forgot to mention--My husband and I both stopped allowing anyone to touch our cards several years ago. We participated in local fairs and our standard procedure was to allow each querent to handle the cards before their read. We stopped because they took on some of everyone else's energy and that really started to have a negative impact. Treat your Tarot like you treat your toothbrush. 'Mine, and mine alone" :D

I don't have a Waite deck. Luckily, however, I do know where to get one. I'll definitely try this suggestion out as well.

I plan on having knowledge of the Tarot with me for quite some time, so of course I'm willing to work towards it, just like I have with herbs (which, after nearly 8 years, is still an ongoing process and will be for quite some time :D). I've tried studying Tarot for a while, but they always, always, always slip my mind. Thus, I posted here and once again you quirky writers haven't failed me :)

Thanks Carole :D

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a Waite deck. Luckily, however, I do know where to get one. I'll definitely try this suggestion out as well.

I plan on having knowledge of the Tarot with me for quite some time, so of course I'm willing to work towards it, just like I have with herbs (which, after nearly 8 years, is still an ongoing process and will be for quite some time :D). I've tried studying Tarot for a while, but they always, always, always slip my mind. Thus, I posted here and once again you quirky writers haven't failed me :)

Thanks Carole :D

They will be with you forever. You won't lose them. It's really funny how that works. We just opened a few storage boxes recently that contained old bottles of herbs and oils long forgotten. One bottle contained Aleister Crowley's recipe for Holy Oil. We opened that bottle and it took us straight back. It just smelled like magick, whether or not you spell it that way or think spelling it that way is stupid. Haha. Over time, they all just become part of who you are--your cards, your knowledge of herbs and oils, your books and everything else.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Over time, they all just become part of who you are--your cards, your knowledge of herbs and oils, your books and everything else.
I know it definitely has with herbs, let me tell you! I can't even enjoy looking at a dandelion anymore without the word "Diuretic and good on salads!" popping up in my head :D But, I'd have it no other way.

Actually, speaking of herbs, my family seems to finally be taking my standpoint on things. Everyone's getting sick this year and, seeing as I'm the only one who has gotten sick and was able to shrug it off in a day or two when everyone else is suffering for a while, they decided to *finally* try my herbal remedies. How surprised they were to see that they worked! I may be really young, but I still have almost 7 years of pretty heavy herb studies under my belt, and I'm so glad that my family is starting to appreciate that. I'm no longer the weird girl with the room full of dried plants anymore, I'm now the alternative healer who everyone comes to when they're sick (which is a MUCH better title, IMO).

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no longer the weird girl with the room full of dried plants anymore, I'm now the alternative healer who everyone comes to when they're sick (which is a MUCH better title, IMO).
That's awesome. I still get mixed reviews, but the fact that I haven't been sick in two years does make some ask me how. Of course I give them my spiel about what to take and how to take it. They all still get sick and say it didn't work for them. I ask them how they took it, but they say that after the first dose, they didn't feel any better so they stopped taking it. ARGH!!! I can't make any of them understand that the herbs I recommend aren't like Nyquil--they don't mask symptoms. They make the cold go away instead, (or prevent them altogether if taken all season) which in my opinion is infinitely better. Maybe some day they'll get it, but for the time being they think I am just lucky.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's awesome. I still get mixed reviews, but the fact that I haven't been sick in two years does make some ask me how. Of course I give them my spiel about what to take and how to take it. They all still get sick and say it didn't work for them. I ask them how they took it, but they say that after the first dose, they didn't feel any better so they stopped taking it. ARGH!!! I can't make any of them understand that the herbs I recommend aren't like Nyquil--they don't mask symptoms. They make the cold go away instead, (or prevent them altogether if taken all season) which in my opinion is infinitely better. Maybe some day they'll get it, but for the time being they think I am just lucky.
I know, this irks me too! I can say, "This will get rid of that nasty sinus infection," and they think I said, "Here's your wonder miracle herb that'll clear your nose and make yuor headache go away right now!" I've tried to exaplin that herbs heal in a more natural way, and may help your body to build a resisitance to whatever the ailment is, and of course I get the world's most vacant stare in return :(

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ya'll!

I agree with Carole about the tarot. I started doing readings again, working some fairs.

My first deck was Morgan Greer. Love that deck and now that my eyes are shot, they're so easy to see!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Great thread and advice! My family and friends now see my "hobby" of herbal salves as something to brag about - a bit different from the "huh?" looks I received when I started. Nothing like a little Black Walnut salve to save the day!

I'm picking up the cards again with regularity lately, I agree that the Rider-Waite is excellent for a working deck. My other are just for fun, in fact Santa brought me the Housewives Tarot for xmas. :D

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I know, this irks me too! I can say, "This will get rid of that nasty sinus infection," and they think I said, "Here's your wonder miracle herb that'll clear your nose and make yuor headache go away right now!" I've tried to exaplin that herbs heal in a more natural way, and may help your body to build a resisitance to whatever the ailment is, and of course I get the world's most vacant stare in return :(

Yes!!! I think everyone is so dependent on immediate relief that they don't care how much longer the cold/flu/infection/etc will take to get rid of. But at least my husband is coming around. He was terribly sick just before Christmas. He'd been out of town for a while, and i could see the signs of it beginning to move to his lungs. That always means bronchitis is on its way. But when he got home, I began dosing him up day and night. In two days, he was all better. :D The yuckiest part is that I accidentally used his toothbrush while he was sick (ours look the same) but I still didn't get sick. Unfortunately, most of my family still believes that if it doesn't come in a little brown bottle with a pharmacy label it won't work.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread and advice! My family and friends now see my "hobby" of herbal salves as something to brag about - a bit different from the "huh?" looks I received when I started. Nothing like a little Black Walnut salve to save the day!

I'm picking up the cards again with regularity lately, I agree that the Rider-Waite is excellent for a working deck. My other are just for fun, in fact Santa brought me the Housewives Tarot for xmas. :D

Black walnut salve--do tell!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a couple of tarot decks over the years, but I still, to this day, have a hard time deciphering them. I just can't seem to remember some of the cards, and sometimes my intuition isn't strong enough to tell the meanings of them. Can anyone suggest some exercises to help better know my cards?

Play solitaire with them. Seriously. Any game of solitaire you enjoy. When a card catches your attention, take a few moments and see what you get from it and then look it up. Do this until you gain a good sense of the cards. It also allows you to get used to handling and shuffling them. I've always been of the opinion that you get more out of the cards when you're friends with them and it's not just a work arrangement.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Play solitaire with them. Seriously. Any game of solitaire you enjoy. When a card catches your attention, take a few moments and see what you get from it and then look it up. Do this until you gain a good sense of the cards. It also allows you to get used to handling and shuffling them. I've always been of the opinion that you get more out of the cards when you're friends with them and it's not just a work arrangement.

When I get a new deck I sleep with them. Ha! Under the pillow. There are some beautiful decks out there.

I've gotten to the point where I use the cards as a jumping off point and then just read--not necessarily the 'by the book' interpretation. Does anyone have the Herbal Tarot? (I think that's what it's called)
I swear by echinacea when I feel the sniffles coming.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes!!! I think everyone is so dependent on immediate relief that they don't care how much longer the cold/flu/infection/etc will take to get rid of. But at least my husband is coming around. He was terribly sick just before Christmas. He'd been out of town for a while, and i could see the signs of it beginning to move to his lungs. That always means bronchitis is on its way. But when he got home, I began dosing him up day and night. In two days, he was all better. :D The yuckiest part is that I accidentally used his toothbrush while he was sick (ours look the same) but I still didn't get sick. Unfortunately, most of my family still believes that if it doesn't come in a little brown bottle with a pharmacy label it won't work.
My boyfriend has a bit of a sinus infection and a minor case of swollen glands right now. He asked me to make him,some herbal tea, I said it was no problem and I cooked him up a batch and gave it to him. Then I found out that he drank the tea, popped a double dose of cold and allergy medicine, a double dose of Tylenol, some cough syrup, and used so much sore throat spray that the bottle was gone in two days. I almost beat him over the head! I told him that, even if the herbal medication doesn't give him the immediate relief he wanted, that he needs to be patient and even if the herbs aren't for him, to only stick to ONE MEDICINE! He's a perfect example of, "Fix me now! Fix me now!" I had to sit him down with a couple of books and explain to him how taking so many medication is bad for him, and how they can cancel each other out, produce bad effects, not to mentions COMPLETELY trash his liver later on. He's kind of coming around, but the last two days I've stayed with him I've had to knock a couple of bottles out of his hand.

Also, he doesn't seem to understand the words "rest" or "recuperate". As we speak, he's starting a 12-16 hour shift for the day, in which he'll be constantly moving around and exerting himself in a building with extremely poor ventilation that's packed with over 300 people during flu season when his immune system's down. Yeah, that's a GREAT idea. I tried to talk him out of work, and he just shrugged it off saying, "if I feel sick, I'll just pop two Stackers and some cold medicine! I'll be fine!" :(

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I swear by echinacea when I feel the sniffles coming.
Use a chest plaster. As crazy as it sounds, I swear this'll pull the bad stuff out of you. At least for me, this recipe works from a slight sign of the sniffles to bronchitis to even an aching back. It's a recipe I got from my great grandmother and modified slightly.

Take one small-medium onion, chop it up, throw it in a saucepan. Then, pour on a bit of honey (about 1/4 of a cup to start) and turn it on low heat. Let it simmer until the onions start producing their own juice, add at least a teaspoon of horseradish to the pot, and add honey as you feel needed. (At this point, it makes an excellent, if a little weird tasting cough syrup that helps mucus production and throat tingles). Then, add some mustard, dried works best but prepared mustard will do, and some spirit of camphor or camphor block chips. Now, spread it on a warm piece of flannel and slap it on your chest (for bronchitis, a cold, pneumonia, etc), back (also bronchitis, cold, pneumonia, and if you feel like a sinus infection or something is moving into your lungs and chest, etc), or throat (for sore throats, swollen glands, head colds, and sinus drainage, etc). Leave on for 15-25 minutes. Oh, and be sure to rub olive oil on the area before you use the plaster, expecially if you have sensitive skin, and if it causes a bad reaction, remove it whenever necessary or do a test area first on the crook of your elbow. Slightly skin reddening is normal, but never force yourself into being uncomfortable.

In my experience, this remedy works great, both against colds, flus, etc, and in preventing them.

EDIT-
Also, you could always just strap a cut onion, cut side against skin, to your foot (or swollen glands on the neck and under the arms). Seriously. It works well, particularly against fevers.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to talk him out of work, and he just shrugged it off saying, "if I feel sick, I'll just pop two Stackers and some cold medicine! I'll be fine!" :(

omg, is it possible that your boyfriend and my husband are brothers? Then again, my husband would have washed the two stackers down with a SoBe No Fear or Red Bull.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
omg, is it possible that your boyfriend and my husband are brothers? Then again, my husband would have washed the two stackers down with a SoBe No Fear or Red Bull.
Holy crap, they could be brothers! My boyfriend just recently got out of the habit (thanks to lots of stomping and hair pulling on my end) of downing his sleeping pills with a beer. Ughhh, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net