How do you write a "follow-up"?

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
A particular agent has had my full manuscript for a month. He asked for the full right off the bat, no partials or anything, and I was thinking I would send a follow-up email in a few weeks just to confirm that he got it. I have no idea how to word an email like that. Do you just remind them that they requested the full and ask if they received it? And is it annoying to ask about the status of the manuscript?

I'd appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

~kristin

DBliss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pinkdevi.com
I would send a casual note stating something like:

Hello, this is Kristin. I sent you my manuscript *title* about a month ago and I just wanted to make sure you received it.

I have not ever worked with an agent before so I don't what the accepted etiquette is regarding contact times but I think sending a brief email such as this would be okay.

Danthia

DBliss is right. Just send s simple note. Asking if they received it is a legitimate question. Asking "Well? did you like it?" is an annoyance :)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Simple note, like DB and Danthia said. I've only sent one follow-up and I was nervous about it. I wrote:

"Dear (agent),

I submitted my manuscript (TITLE) to you in December and would like to know if it is still being considered. Hope all is well!

All best,

(name)"

I got a friendly response that it was still in her queue, for what that's worth.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a novel, one month is not much time. Querytracker.net has query and submission statistics on most of the legitimate agents. You'll have to join to see them, but it's free.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
A month is pretty soon to expect a response on a full, as Julie Worth says. I'd wait another month before following up.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay...this looks like the thread for my question. I sent queries out in October. I got an immediate response from an agent who admitted that she was currently not looking for new clients, but that she had attempted twice to send her standard reply stating as much...but that she couldn't do it. She said I had her hooked and to please send the full. I sent it on October 5th, via email as requested. I have not heard back from her since. Is it okay to email her now? Or is it still too soon?

Thanks in advance.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
BUMPING in the hopes of receiving feedback to my question. It seemed like the place to ask it, rather than in a new thread.

Thanks.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
BUMPING in the hopes of receiving feedback to my question. It seemed like the place to ask it, rather than in a new thread.

Thanks.

Tomothecat's suggested e-mail would be appropriate. You're not trying to annoy, just trying to find out if the manuscript is still under consideration.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks, Steve. I was thinking that...but not sure, since so much time has gone by. I will give it a try.

K

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
KTC, this reminds me of a job I applied for at the local community college on Nov 15th. I went for an interview and then waited an entire month. They had told me they'd be in contact at the end of the interview. So I emailed in December and they emailed the same day saying I was still under consideration.

Now two days ago after I figure they are back from the holiday break, I emailed again. No answer this time.

Sooo...today I phoned them. You see, I really want this job. It doesn't pay super fantastic but it's right up my alley. The lady who had been talking to me and emailing me was so kind to me. It turns out they had a freeze on hiring and I'm one of the candidates they want to call in for a second interview. She apologized for not letting me know sooner.

But I learned one thing today. It's okay to be persistent. Sometimes even appropriate. After all this time I can't help but think you are only wise to contact them for an update.

I hope it helps. Good luck.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I totally agree. Be persistant. That being said my agent takes at least 6 weeks or more for my stuff and I make her lots of money...so double or triple that for submissions.
just sayin'

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I totally agree. Be persistant. That being said my agent takes at least 6 weeks or more for my stuff and I make her lots of money...so double or triple that for submissions.
just sayin'

Thanks. And thanks to Cass too. I'm just nervous about 'bugging'. It's been about 13 weeks now. Her original email was so clear...she almost said no because of workload, but got hooked. I will send it today...the worst that can happen is a no, right. Thanks guys.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Patricia, I just re-read your post. Double or triple the 6 week time? So should I wait for another month before following up?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Really you are not wrong to check up now but dont be bummed if she hasn't gotten to it-
If you're not sure she received it you have an opportunity to check up on it as to whether she got it...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks much, Patricia. I'm usually more patient than this. I've waited over 7 months before without so much as a harassing email. (-;

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back from agents who have partials since September and October! I've emailed one of them, but no response. The other asks not to call to follow up submissions, so I'm not really sure what to do in those cases.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think after six or eight weeks, it's just fine to email with a status query.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, I did send a very brief status query...careful to be as nice and non-pestering as I could be. She did not reply to it. I guess it's safe to assume now that she wasn't interested after looking at the full and is one to not send a rejection notice when she rejects something.

Reaction score
Hi. Question. What is approximate wait parameters for 'top agent' submitting just the proposal to 'ten top publishers'? Screen background. First non-fiction foray. Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!