Speeding up my computer

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Over the last couple of months, my laptop has become slower and slower. It takes longer to open and close programs, start up, shut down and general use.

I'm trying to work how to make it quicker again. Suggestions?

I've already
  • Done a spyware check and removed most spyware (though I could do this again with other programs etc.)
  • Drefragged my hard drive, which helped a fair bit.
It's a Toshiba Laptop running Vista. I probably should upgrade the RAM too.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked what programs start automatically? You may have some running you don't need.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
This is a good idea. There are a lot of processes going on in the background and not sure which ones I need because in some cases, it isn't clear which processes match with which programs.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
If the RAM isn't at 2 gig, I'd make that the minimum. (RAM needs only go up, it seems.)

Did you do the spybot S&D, malwarebytes, Ad Aware, whatever, in Safe Mode?

Do check to see what programs run at start up. It's easy to wind up with stuff running that you don't use.

Also, have you stopped or cancelled any Windows Updates? MS has this habit of hanging up processor cycles, tying stuff up, waiting for you to do the updates.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a good idea. There are a lot of processes going on in the background and not sure which ones I need because in some cases, it isn't clear which processes match with which programs.
There are some freeware programs that tell you in more detail about what programs are running than what comes with Windows. You especially want to know which ones are taking a lot of RAM and memory.

You can always look up processes at websites like process library.

By the way, what firewall software are you using?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
If the RAM isn't at 2 gig, I'd make that the minimum. (RAM needs only go up, it seems.)

Yeah, I'm thinking when I get the cash, this is going to have to happen. I only have 1 gig.

Did you do the spybot S&D, malwarebytes, Ad Aware, whatever, in Safe Mode?

I've run spybot, but not the others. Also, should probably run them in safe mode.

Also, have you stopped or cancelled any Windows Updates? MS has this habit of hanging up processor cycles, tying stuff up, waiting for you to do the updates.

Pretty sure my updates are fine.

There are some freeware programs that tell you in more detail about what programs are running than what comes with Windows. You especially want to know which ones are taking a lot of RAM and memory.

Thanks will have to check this out when I get home. I'm on the work computer atm.

Not sure. I'm running AVG which might be a firewall too. And then there's windows defender.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
You might also want to try backing up all your work and then reinstalling Windows on your machine. That'll get it working just like the day it was bought. If you know how to do it (and it isn't hard at all) then it's free.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I found I had several programs starting up in Start Up that I didn't use every day. Once I moved them things speeded up.

Have you cleaned out Temporary and History? I do that before I exit my browser but Crap Cleaner still finds loads still in there.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
before I'd do a whole install I'd create a new profile and log on as that profile a few times, timing the last one. Then log on as my usual profile, and time that.

It's a low tech way to learn if what is slowing your computer down is related to how you use the computer, and some of what you've loaded on to it.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
My laptop started dragging bad and when we added another gig - has 2 gigs now - it was surprising how fast it ran. After a year now it still runs faster than my desktop, which needs more ram too.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My friend's system has also slowed to a crawl in the last few days. He said it was so slow that when he typed, it couldn't even catch up and would lose letters. It took him a minute just to open an IE or Firefox window. And Internet access was slow for him. When I went over, I used his Internet (wifi) with my Mac and it was fine.

I haven't taken a look yet (will go over tomorrow). But according to him, he checked for viruses/malware all the time (he has the latest stuff). I would recommend him doing a defrag if he hasn't done one lately, and also check for processes that are not supposed to be running, etc. Probably good to run HijackThis and see if there's anything suspicious as well.

He has 2GB RAM (2.8GHz processor), so it shouldn't be the problem. The system ran pretty fast when it was new, so I don't really think memory or hardware is the problem. It shouldn't really slow down to where he is now, so either he has some malware still running or something is wrong (and I hope it's not hardware failure because it's a PAIN to have to reinstall everything).

He did say that he noticed the problem when he upgrade Java. I don't think it should matter, but he swore to me that everything worked pretty well until he upgraded. So that maybe something I need to check.

And maybe that's something wrong with your system, too. Sometimes those automatic upgrades could screw you up. I had to uninstall one upgrade (it's a Graphics card driver upgrade) and it royally screwed up Vista.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You do know not to use HJT's "fix" functions to repair things unless you know what you're doing?

That is a really stupid question the way it's written, isn't it? It's way early in the morning where I am. ;-)

psykeout

should be writing instead...
Registered
Reaction score
http://iobit.com/

I've been using WindowsCare for about a year now and have never had a problem with it. I was experiencing the same problems you were and got it. Best of all, it's free.

Hope that helps.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Casual thoughts:

Yesterday I was doing a backup to an external USB drive and the longer I had the drive connected, the slower my USB mouse and keyboard responded, until the mouse cursor was jumping an inch at a time and key-press delay approached 1 second. Just saying that some add-ons or greedy applications can take up too much resource on the fly (obviously).

If and when I perceive any slowing down, I right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager to check what's running and hogging resource. There have been occasions where I've found, for example, a runaway copy of Internet Explorer eating up memory (dammit, I closed that an hour ago!) or old software taking a stroll in the garden ("Hey, didn't I delete you last month?" "You tried to, sonny boy.") When I "End Process" these hogs, I get my laptop back.

Cunning software, we hates it.

-Derek

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

Googling them brings up what they are as well.

Also I suggest CCleaner. It's a free ware program that will clean up your registry. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Ccleaner - I STRONGLY recommend it. Cleaning your registry can work wonders.

I generally re-install my Operating System every 6 months or so. Some people have termed the slow down over time : 'Windows rot.'

Uninstall any software that you do not use at all. Defragment once a month, disk cleanup once a week, clear browser cache regularly. Everything adds up. :)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded and ran the Advanced Systems Care tat TnD recommended. I have a fairly new computer and I run Spybot once a month. This new utility picked up a lot of garbage that Spybot didn't.

I wasn't having any problems before, so I can't say I'm noticing any real improvement, but it did find a lot of junk in my PC.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yes, there are times when it is nothing more than a rogue application that didn't get closed correctly or didn't stop completely and is hogging up resources. It's hard for the Average Joe to start looking at stuff like that. It's really annoying.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Do check to see what programs run at start up. It's easy to wind up with stuff running that you don't use.
How do you check this, oh 'puterly one?

Also, I'd recommend CC Cleaner. It's a nifty little free program (although I donated, since they're so nice) that tidies up. I seem to notice a difference when I keep this up to date.

ETA - Seems many people love CC Cleaner. I thought I was so cutting edge.

Last edited:

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Thanks guys, I will try CCleaner as it's so recommended but I like Darzian's suggestion of doing this regularly.

I got this laptop last May and have barely done any maintainable to it since I got it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember that CCleaner doesn't take care of all potential registry problems.

There's also ATF Cleaner that works similarly.

You might also want to look at something like Startup Delayer and Process Explorer.

If you get used to regularly looking at what processes are running on your machine, it's a lot easier to then spot something running that you're not aware of.