Info/advice on drugs (heroin, cocaine) and police work

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've asked similar or related questions about police work and gotten someone wonderful responses and spent some time PM-ing with other members here. So, first and foremost, thanks for everything so far.

I have some more questions, though, all related to one character. Now that my first draft is done, I really need help working out the kinks. I do plan on talking to some real NYPD officers if I can help it, now that I am in the area, but I would like to get as much background figured out as is necessary before I approach them (in real life or on some similar message boards).

Anyway, everything I'm about to describe happens as backstory, and does not appear "on screen," aside from some minor stuff about drug use. Still, I should know how this stuff works and what is feasible.

One of my minor characters is an NYPD officer on temporary leave. He was undercover investigating a drug ring operation, got made, and essentially blew the whole thing after a good friend died (also a cop). Now, in the actual course of the story, he's on leave from the force, is in therapy, and addicted to the drugs. (At this point I've based the drug ring/bust in the Bronx, and my research lends me to believe heroin and cocaine are some of the most common busts.) I realize the undercover/addiction angle is somewhat cliche and is certainly not true of everyone who goes undercover, but I'm comfortable with it for from a subplot point of view as his addiction drives other things in the story for my main character. But because of the cliche aspect of it, again, I want to make sure I get it right.

So, from that basic description, I'd like information on anything you might think is useful, but mainly these areas. Additionally, I'd welcome any more advice or information in PM should you not be comfortable sharing anything in public.

- Heroin or cocaine use, especially of an addicted user: How often, side effects, personality changes on and off the drug, etc. I haven't done anything close to either of these drugs, and have no idea what it feels like.
- Police work in general in NYC: If my characters work in the Bronx (on the drug operations), where might it be appropriate for their jurisdiction and department? And from there, where would it be appropropriate for them to live in the city? How long are shifts? Are officers who patrol in cars different from those who do other things? Etc.
- How drug rings operate
- How police detect these rings; how they choose the officers who go undercover; how long someone can expect to be undercover (for clarity's sake, I'm not putting my character in the middle of a massive massive drug bust--something significant but containable); what areas these bust are usually located; how officers work their ways up in a ring; how much time a day to they spend undercover, etc.; and how that affects their home lives/friendships
- Additionally, any information on police funerals (esp. in NYC); for the record, the officer was killed doing something heroic but not while on duty.

Anyway, there is quite a bit more information I'd like to have, but I think that is a decent enough starting point without overwhelming anyone. Thanks again for any help.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Weeell, I think the clinche of addixn w/ a UC ofc is a Hollywood thing, not a reality thing, though mileage varies w/ locale and the 212 is as good a place as you can get for having that sit occur. I've bought drugs (usu crack) UC. for quickie ops worked like so:
I make a small buy, give sign I'm in possession, cover makes arrest (if had to be done quickly, they'd appear to arrest me too). We turn at least one of the sellers, we buy from his supplier, turn him if you can, then go buy from his supplier. Time can go hours, days, weeks or months. Working Vice had the worst hours in the dept-tons of OT, never knew when I'd be home.

The ofc is going to claim ADA to try to save his job but he is still not going to long get away w/ being a user---they're pee testing him. Yes, he has personality changes. And he is in a position to choose his drug, heroin or coke.

Don't quite get the question about are ofc in cars diff from others...

Funerals- uniforms will still black band their badges for an off-duty death.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I can give you some leads that might help you.

I have some more questions, though, all related to one character. Now that my first draft is done, I really need help working out the kinks. I do plan on talking to some real NYPD officers if I can help it, now that I am in the area, but I would like to get as much background figured out as is necessary before I approach them (in real life or on some similar message boards). There are discussion groups for the police where you can get some real good info. Also, talk with your local cops about internet sources.

- Heroin or cocaine use, especially of an addicted user: How often, side effects, personality changes on and off the drug, etc. I haven't done anything close to either of these drugs, and have no idea what it feels like. I'd watch THE PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Panic_in_Needle_Park) (which was actually Sherman Park, which is in Manhattan). Still probably the best depiction of heroin addicts that I've seen.

- Police work in general in NYC: If my characters work in the Bronx (on the drug operations), where might it be appropriate for their jurisdiction and department? And from there, where would it be appropropriate for them to live in the city? How long are shifts? Are officers who patrol in cars different from those who do other things? Etc. Might want to go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/home/precincts.shtml. Officers might live in parts of the city, but most of them live outside. I believe shifts are eight hours, although that depends on the job. I believe most start with patrol work in cars, and then may be promoted to other duties.

- How police detect these rings; A lot of times through catching small fish with big mouths. I've had several clients who traded information for freedom. The other way is just by listening.

- Additionally, any information on police funerals (esp. in NYC); for the record, the officer was killed doing something heroic but not while on duty. Although it's fire department, I'd watch BACKDRAFT, especially the director's cut. It deals with the living environment and attitudes of firefighters, but it's roughly the same as police officers. Not much different in their funerals. Scenario you described would probably be a big deal.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I make a small buy, give sign I'm in possession, cover makes arrest (if had to be done quickly, they'd appear to arrest me too). We turn at least one of the sellers, we buy from his supplier, turn him if you can, then go buy from his supplier. Time can go hours, days, weeks or months. Working Vice had the worst hours in the dept-tons of OT, never knew when I'd be home.
That's one type of operation, but there are also uc cops who operate on a longer term. They make buys, but no arrest is made at the time. They never go near a police station, but instead turn over the drugs to a handler, another cop, in a safe house or secure location. The uc officer builds credibility over time with low level dealers, and hopefully works his or her way up the chain.

Then, after anywhere from six months to a year, warrants are issued and the department rounds up everyone at once, or at least as many as they can.

Although departmental rules will often prohibit the uc officer from using drugs while doing investigations and buys, (esp hard drugs) it's sometimes very difficult to avoid. There's a lot of pressure to produce results, and a person who routinely buys drugs but never is seen using them can cause some suspicion. There are ways around this, some very creative, but in the desire to put up big numbers and advance a career, rules are sometimes broken

Plus, some of the uc officers are pretty straight before they start working narcotics, they've never been around drugs or the lifestyle, and they end up getting seduced by it. They have little contact with other cops durng their uc stint, and they spend all their time with users and dealers. Not all criminals and drug dealers are terrible people -- it's quite possible to end up liking the very people you're out to get. You can become gradually enmeshed in that world before you realize what's happening

It's certainly not the norm fo a uc officer to act like that, or to become addicted, but it can and does happen.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
That's one type of operation, but there are also uc cops who operate on a longer term. They make buys, but no arrest is made at the time. They never go near a police station, but instead turn over the drugs to a handler, another cop, in a safe house or secure location. The uc officer builds credibility over time with low level dealers, and hopefully works his or her way up the chain.

Then, after anywhere from six months to a year, warrants are issued and the department rounds up everyone at once, or at least as many as they can.

Although departmental rules will often prohibit the uc officer from using drugs while doing investigations and buys, (esp hard drugs) it's sometimes very difficult to avoid. There's a lot of pressure to produce results, and a person who routinely buys drugs but never is seen using them can cause some suspicion. There are ways around this, some very creative, but in the desire to put up big numbers and advance a career, rules are sometimes broken

Plus, some of the uc officers are pretty straight before they start working narcotics, they've never been around drugs or the lifestyle, and they end up getting seduced by it. They have little contact with other cops durng their uc stint, and they spend all their time with users and dealers. Not all criminals and drug dealers are terrible people -- it's quite possible to end up liking the very people you're out to get. You can become gradually enmeshed in that world before you realize what's happening

It's certainly not the norm fo a uc officer to act like that, or to become addicted, but it can and does happen

This is exactly what I am going for, one or two situations where it's unavoidable not to use the drug without getting made, then the addiction happens. I realize it's not as common as Hollywood makes it, but like I said, I'm going for an important subplot here so I'm not worried about it being "overdone" and "just because." Or more correctly, I'm trying to get it right so it doesn't seem cliched and Hollywood. But my character is back from an operation like this--long-term, more like six months than a year--and had pressure from superiors and also started feeling guilty about turning on the people who gained his trust. I want some aspects of the drug ring to spill out into the current plot of the story (the MC gets involved tracking down some people she shoudn't be tracking) but I'm not sure about location, time, how "bad" and "high up" some of these dealers might be, that kind of thing.

But I wasn't sure how much time he'd be spending time with them versus his friends during that six months, and what the adjustment is like back into the real world, especially if he's hooked on the drug, too. And his best friend (the main character's fiance) has just died.

I'll check the forums you guys have listed, thanks for those. If it's the ones I've already visited, I was hesitant about asking the question because it's not something likely wanting to discuss in public, especially since undercovers getting hooked on drugs is somewhat of a cliche.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Don't quite get the question about are ofc in cars diff from others...

I didn't word that very well. I don't know anything about what kinds of cops work where. For example, if an officer is undercover, I'd think it's unlikely he or she would also be in a patrol car. Or directing traffic. But really, I haven't got a clue about how they decide these things about what "level" you are.

The way it's currently written, my dead officer was a patrol officer with a vehicle, while my drug addict was undercover. In addition to the drug ring stuff, there's a mention of a couple illegal gun sellers, too. I want my dead officer to have interacted with the gun sellers in some way, but I don't know if that's likely if he rides in a patrol car.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't word that very well. I don't know anything about what kinds of cops work where. For example, if an officer is undercover, I'd think it's unlikely he or she would also be in a patrol car. Or directing traffic. But really, I haven't got a clue about how they decide these things about what "level" you are.

The way it's currently written, my dead officer was a patrol officer with a vehicle, while my drug addict was undercover. In addition to the drug ring stuff, there's a mention of a couple illegal gun sellers, too. I want my dead officer to have interacted with the gun sellers in some way, but I don't know if that's likely if he rides in a patrol car.

I believe in New York officers start with foot beat and work their way up to radio cars. I'm not 100% sure about that as my information is really out of date regarding that.

And yeah, an UC guy wouldn't be driving around in a patrol car - at least not a marked unit. Most likely they'd be driving an undercover unit. These would have varying plates but all of which should be registered with the DMV or dispatch so they come up marked as an undercover unit. This lets the UC do things without getting hassled by a traffic enforcement officer or others. Unless appearances are necessary.

Any UC officer will be a detective and will have worked his way up the ranks and taken promotional exams.

BTW...it's not only easy to be a drug buyer and never get caught using - it's also quite common. Most of your street level dealers are only dealers because they are hooked on stuff and need to make the cash to get their fix. The levels going above this, they aren't always users because they understand just how bad the crap is. And if you go up high enough, you definitely don't use because you know what you've been using to cut the crap with.

Usually the user/dealers are the bottom of the food chain and only know what they may have used to cut the junk - not what all the others up the food chain have used.

I've met far too many second or third tier dealers who rarely or never use what they sell.

Rabe...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
BTW...it's not only easy to be a drug buyer and never get caught using - it's also quite common. Most of your street level dealers are only dealers because they are hooked on stuff and need to make the cash to get their fix. The levels going above this, they aren't always users because they understand just how bad the crap is. And if you go up high enough, you definitely don't use because you know what you've been using to cut the crap with.

Usually the user/dealers are the bottom of the food chain and only know what they may have used to cut the junk - not what all the others up the food chain have used.

I've met far too many second or third tier dealers who rarely or never use what they sell.

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering, then, does it make sense for my character to have used the drug on his own, and not just to keep up appearances? Basically, I have a situation where the I want the level of stress of his job/life to be getting to him. He's paranoid about getting made. He doesn't see his friends. When he is made, he screws up the operation, feels like a guilty failure. And then his friend dies. Does it just make more sense, less Hollywood-cliche, that he'd just use the drug he has, even if he knows what it's cut with? He becomes a problem drinker throughout this course, too.

Storywise I'd prefer he had a penchant for drinking before he makes detective that leads into his drug habit when things start going south, but I don't know if that's realistic in the sense that he could hide a potential drinking problem from the department and still be promoted. Undercover is really strict stuff, and they want people to do it to be psychologically balanced. My guy--not so much, at least in the sense that a couple different scenarios while he's undercover push him over the edge. However, he's an excellent actor in the sense he looks the part and can fit in with the lower-level junkies without issue. There are another couple instances in the story that hint at what a great actor he is about other things, too.