Moving On

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxvenomqueen

I realized how much I was in love with addicted to writing when I joined a forum three years ago. There was several of us gals that started writing and plotting together. We created our own characters whose storyline would involve the other writer's character...co-writing, so to speak.

It wasn't before too long that these brief stories evolved into pages and pages of reading, nothing short of a great paranormal soap opera. I can't even began to estimate how much time and heart I poured into my writing. Some of the characters I brought to life eventually became a part of me, and I'm sure there are many writers that can agree with me when I say that.

Too make this short, most of the writers I've been writing with these three past years, have stopped writing altogether. One has become successful and is in the process of having her other work published. I'm honestly stoked for her and can't wait to see her stuff in print. Then, of course, there are some that got too busy to contribute to the stories or, they just lost interest altogether. So the flow of the stories ceased and now I'm finding myself in a rough spot.

There are two characters of mine whose storyline was on the verge of being complete just before everyone stopped their writing. These characters are my all time favorites and for some reason I can't fathom, I have to finish them, even if no one else is writing at the forum where these stories are posted. If I left these two characters hanging, there would be no end to the small nagging voice in the back of my mind, telling me that I should of completed their story.

While working on putting the clamp on their stories, I questioned myself, "What next? What do I do now that I'm on my own and have no one to write with?" Because I don't want to stop writing, I've decided to move on to writing a novel. However, flying solo is much more difficult than I'd thought and adapting to not writing with the other gals has become a struggle, preventing me from going in the direction I'd like to. I started a novel, which is a lousy three paragraphs long, but again, starting new is like taking baby steps all over again.

Anyone have any tips on how I can overcome my past of collaberating with others and how to move on to the future?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on striking out on your own! Sounds to me like quitting smoking, you became dependent on your writing mates, and now you have to develop new habits.

If you have fallen in love with your characters, what a great opportunity to take them on a new adventure! If you want to continue with those characters, consider marrying your characters with your favorite genre. Say you love mystery, what devilment can they become embroiled in? If it's romance, how can they become involved with other's men or such things.

Tapping into your favorite genre to light the lone writing fire and encorporate your favorite characters might be just what you need.

Good luck!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
To help at first, could you imagine what your friends would contribute to the new, write-it-alone story? Have a few ghosts sitting there and helping you. It would be difficult if you were seen regularly talking to nobody at all, but never mind. We all do that from time to time ... don't we?

rxvenomqueen

Maybe take those characters you've grown to know and love and give them their own story?

Me, I'd start noodling with that ...

I've considered the continuation of their story...but would like to change up a few things. So maybe I'll need to start from scratch again, which shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. If anything, it'll be fun to start fresh with them.

Congrats on striking out on your own! Sounds to me like quitting smoking, you became dependent on your writing mates, and now you have to develop new habits.

If you have fallen in love with your characters, what a great opportunity to take them on a new adventure! If you want to continue with those characters, consider marrying your characters with your favorite genre. Say you love mystery, what devilment can they become embroiled in? If it's romance, how can they become involved with other's men or such things.

Tapping into your favorite genre to light the lone writing fire and encorporate your favorite characters might be just what you need.

Good luck!

I think you hit it right on the head by saying I'd become dependent on them...and if I truly want to do this, which I know I can, I'm going to have to learn to do this without holding their hands.

To help at first, could you imagine what your friends would contribute to the new, write-it-alone story? Have a few ghosts sitting there and helping you. It would be difficult if you were seen regularly talking to nobody at all, but never mind. We all do that from time to time ... don't we?

I talk to myself sometimes, too! Let's just hope no one hears what we say when we THINK no one is around! LOL

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm afraid I haven't any advice, but I sympathize. I only really collaborated once, but it was with a friend who was the only person who was REALLY as interested in my writing as I was, and outside of that one story we did share characters and ideas and everything together. Then she moved away, lost interest in our writing, and we lost touch...I've never found anyone else like that since. In fact I think my main motivation in writing anymore is in trying to find somebody else as interested as I am, so I can have that connection again. So I know how lonely and difficult it can feel when the people you worked with so closely move on and you're the only one left with that story.

I've kept writing--like I said, we didn't collaborate on the writing itself much as it was--so I hope you find a good way to keep your story going even if you're the only one working on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.