William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
if it's simply the heat of an investigation with no merit, that's too bad. bill's a pretty good guy and a dedicated public servant.

if he knows in his heart of hearts that there's fire behind the smoke, then i at least give him points for not dragging a scandal into the new administration.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
if he knows in his heart of hearts that there's fire behind the smoke, then i at least give him points for not dragging a scandal into the new administration.
I think that's it. I don't know him, but I know people who do, and I think that's the consensus around Santa Fe.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I like Bill Richardson too, so I'll wait until the facts are presented (if they are, that is).

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Richardson is politically ambitious enough that if he thought something would come out that would jeopardize not only the new administration but his political future, he'd withdraw and wait for a more profitable time to enter the fray--if it's possible. it'll depend on what those business dealings are, I suppose. it is a shame though; I've always kind of liked Richardson.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
He is withdrawing because the investigation can take months and that will delay any possible nomination process and will leave Obama without someone for that position. This allows Obama to more forward and nominate someone else without delay so that he has a fully functioning cabinet as soon as possible.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w010445A.xml

Richardson says in a statement issued by Obama's transition team that the investigation could take weeks or months and he couldn't ask Obama to delay the Commerce Department's work.

Richardson says the investigation will show that he "acted properly in all matters."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whether or not this investigation turns up he did wrong, he did right in withdrawing himself from the nomination in a timely fashion. His stated reasoning (cited by Nevada) makes good sense, and shows more common sense than is customary for most politicians (google Blagojevich, Spitzer, Ney, Stevens, Cunningham for examples of what usually happens).

caw

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Whether or not this investigation turns up he did wrong, he did right in withdrawing himself from the nomination in a timely fashion. His stated reasoning (cited by Nevada) makes good sense, and shows more common sense than is customary for most politicians (google Blagojevich, Spitzer, Ney, Stevens, Cunningham for examples of what usually happens).

caw

Quoted for truth.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Darn, I like Bill. But I respect that fact that he is withdrawing rather than digging in his heels and staying on. Hope it is just rumors.