The dark side of global warming

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
. . . is when you don't get any of it. At midnight here at my house in Anchorage, Alaska, it is -22F, which is -30C for you benighted Europocanadiers. It's headed down to -25-30F by morning. We haven't seen a positive temp reading on the Fahrenheit scale for about a week now, and aren't supposed to for another week. Daytime highs have ranged from -5 to -15F.

Could be worse, I suppose. 350 miles north, in Fairbanks, it's been -40, where it doesn't matter any more which temperature scale you use. Of course, in Kelvins, its +243 right now, so I guess it's all a matter of Einsteinian relativity.

Have a nice day.

caw

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
We're lucky that the +90F temps for the last couple of days have reduced to a perfect +75 degrees (with the fans on, of course).

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
I watched a program on one of the science channels the other day, had something to do with Absolute Zero and gases. Really interesting stuff. The closest they've come to Absolute Zero is one-tenth of one-billionth of a degree away from when all the molecules and atoms come to a complete stop. You'd think all they had to do was blow on it to get that last little smidgen of heat out. The scientist said he didn't see any way that we could ever reach Absolute Zero with the technology we possess now. You're right blacbird, it's all relative.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We had a lovely, sunny +75F here in Oklahoma yesterday, too, Mumut. Today, however, we're hovering around +35F right now, waiting for sun-up and a high of +38F.

My condolences, blacbird.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a lovely, sunny +75F here in Oklahoma yesterday, too, Mumut. Today, however, we're hovering around +35F right now, waiting for sun-up and a high of +38F.

My condolences, blacbird.

But the winter solstice has come and gone and the days grow longer. Soon the crocus and tulips will peek out, and buds will fatten on the trees and the insects will come back with those birds smart enough to fly south. Ah, Spring, just a couple of short months away. :Sun: Something to look forward to anyway.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Won't be long before we get the first Tornado Watch of the year.

you're right OFG, we get them here quite often though last year I don't remember too many. I got's me a basement, so if a tornado hits my place be sure to look there, if I'm not squooshed I'll be under the laundry table by the clothes dryer with a house on top of my head. I've never seen one carry a house like in Wizard of Oz, but then I don't get out much when the tornados are flying.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I remember those days, Blacbird. (Used to live near Fairbanks)

On the upside, I remember playing triple header baseball games in the summer, too.

Keep the fingers, nose and toes under cover, friend.

:)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I will stop griping because its twelve degrees here. Positively balmy, to some. Come on, blacbird, fly south. We can go outside without hats, then come in and make another pot of coffee. Caw!

Maryn, who couldn't resist the caw

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
. . . is when you don't get any of it. At midnight here at my house in Anchorage, Alaska, it is -22F, which is -30C for you benighted Europocanadiers. It's headed down to -25-30F by morning. We haven't seen a positive temp reading on the Fahrenheit scale for about a week now, and aren't supposed to for another week. Daytime highs have ranged from -5 to -15F.

Could be worse, I suppose. 350 miles north, in Fairbanks, it's been -40, where it doesn't matter any more which temperature scale you use. Of course, in Kelvins, its +243 right now, so I guess it's all a matter of Einsteinian relativity.

Have a nice day.

caw

never underestimate the disappointment of a man who hasn't yet had a chance to wear the studded leather speedo he got for christmas.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Spring, just a couple of short months away. :Sun: Something to look forward to anyway.

My 23yo daughter has been in an autumn situation once, on holiday. She was amazed but she hasn't seen spring or snow or anything terribly different like that.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Mornings in my location are usually around 21 C and you can get upto 31 C at noon which is horrible. It's very difficult to stay awake from noon to 4pm due to the heat.

I wish I could live somewhere with bearable temperatures. The air conditioner can't be used as my electricity bill would literally explode.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I guess we aren't on the darkside here. It used to be that a farmer could count on three crops of hay around here, now (about the last 7 years) they're often not even getting one. We're having droughts in the spring through fall, late hard frosts and then flooding in the winters. The averaged temperatures are around the same, but it is fluctuating far more wildly than in the past, 20 degrees one day and 60's the next. My livestock's ok because we have browsers instead of grazers and more than enough pasture, but there've been a lot of auctioned farms lately.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
It's doing this little gavotte between 31-33F right now, so it's kind of melting, kind of not, kind of melting, kind of not.

I think the climate's changed in this part of New York in just the last twenty years or so. Seems like the summers are getting warmer and the winters are getting more extreme - either brutally cold or way above average. Nothing in between.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
what does one do when it's -20, -30 degrees for days? Drive your Snow Cat to and from work? What do you wear outside - can you wear anything normal or is it all survival gear?

It's cold here in Jersey - I heard on the news freezing rain's coming in for Tuesday into Wednesday

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the second coldest national capital in the world (second only to Ulan Bator, and who the hell's ever been there?). It's not too bad today, though, around -5 C. It's all relative, I guess.

As much as I dislike -40 C, I wouldn't trade my seasons in for anything. At least I've never seen a tornado, tsunami or earth quake!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: it's midnight here, and -23F at my house. We are in the throes of the longest continuous subzero cold snap in Anchorage since 1947; we had one almost this long, and a little colder (hit -38F one night at my house) in 1999, but even for Alaska, this is damn excessive. We haven't had a positive Fahrenheit reading in nearly two weeks. And if you check official stats for Anchorage, all the locals know them to be deceptive. They are taken at the Airport, which is located on a peninsula surrounded on two sides by water, and is always the warmest place in the area in winter.

Anyhow, I am effing tired of it. Peace and love and similar crap,

caw