PDA

View Full Version : What math are you supposed to learn junior year of high school?

lm728
01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Okay, so my characters are juniors, but i'm not one yet. So, is it trigonometry or calculus or pre-calculus that they learn? And what was the hardest thing you learned junior year?

Thanks.

caromora
01-03-2009, 06:18 PM
At my school, students on the normal track had algebra 2 the first semester of their junior year, which included an introduction to trig, and could choose a math elective for the second semester (we had 2 semesters and block scheduling). They could take more advanced classes like pre-calc (regular calculus was for seniors) if they wanted. I'm not sure what the other options were, because I was in the gifted track.

Hope that maybe helps a little? :)

alleycat
01-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Trigonometry, when I was in high school (long ago). Honor students may have gotten analytic geometry and calculus or . . . Fortran (is that still taught, I wonder).

Puma
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
A lot depends on your time period - contemporary or historical. In my day there was only one option for college bound kids junior year and that was Algebra 2. Solid Geometry and Trig were offered to seniors. There was no calculus or pre-calculus offered. Puma

lexxi
01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
At my high school, 30 years ago, the majority would be doing second-year algebra in junior year. For those who had gotten a head start on high school math in middle school, by junior year the choices would be either a semester of trigonometry and a semester of statistics, or "advanced math" (precalculus).

lm728
01-03-2009, 07:28 PM
For people on the gifted/honors track, I mean. (contemporary)
Is it safe to stick with either Alg 2 or Trig?

Well, because at my school, the freshmen don't do geometry first thing (it's an international baccalaureate program). They do AP Algebra 2. So I guess it's just a question of what school you go to, right?

johnnysannie
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Okay, so my characters are juniors, but i'm not one yet. So, is it trigonometry or calculus or pre-calculus that they learn? And what was the hardest thing you learned junior year?

Thanks.

What math a high junior is taking is very variable. It depends on their expertise in math or lack thereof, what credits they have earned, and such. At the high school where I teach (sub), I can name juniors taking everything from advanced calculus and trig to those taking Alg II. Some juniors, if they have their math credits already, are not even taking math.

tinselcleo
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I was in the advanced classes and took Trigonometry about 15 years ago. Most of my friends were one step behind in an Algebra II class.
I'm not sure what the hardest thing I learned was....I know the thing I hated the most was all the memorization of the equations. It was a PITA!

vixey
01-03-2009, 09:32 PM
My daughter is a junior now and a bit fast-tracked. She studied Trig as a sophomore and takes Math Analysis now. She'll take either pre-Calc or AP Statistics next year. My youngest (a sophomore) will take Algebra 2 as a Junior. My son, now in college, took Math Analysis and Discrete Math his Junior year.

Cyia
01-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I took Pre-Calculus Junior year and Calculus Senior year. Those who weren't in advanced classes took Trig or Statistcal Analysis.

askeladd
01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I was in the accelerated program (goal: calculus senior year) at my school almost 30 years ago. Consequently, as a junior, I had College Algebra (1st semester) and Analytic Geometry (2nd semester). For the non-accelerated students, junior year would have meant intermediate algebra (1st semester) and trig (2nd semester).

Barb D
01-03-2009, 10:54 PM
My 17yo is a senior. He took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, Geometry in 9th, Algebra II in 10th. For 11th he had a choice of Trig or Pre-Calc. He chose Pre-Calc, and now he's in Calculus.

A lot of his friends had Algebra 1 in 7th grade, and Calculus as Juniors. Others had Algebra I in 9th and Algebra II as Juniors. Depends on how advanced they were in math in middle school.

kuwisdelu
01-04-2009, 02:28 AM
It really, completely depends on the school and how advanced the student is.

I was in Calculus II and Statistics my Junior year.

My school didn't have a specific Trigonometry class. For us, elements of trigonometry were introduced in Geometry, expanded on in Algebra II, and finalized in Pre-Calc.

I think Pre-Calc is more average for Juniors. At my high school, anyway.

vixey
01-04-2009, 02:37 AM
It really, completely depends on the school and how advanced the student is.

I was in Calculus II and Statistics my Junior year.

My school didn't have a specific Trigonometry class. For us, elements of trigonometry were introduced in Geometry, expanded on in Algebra II, and finalized in Pre-Calc.

I think Pre-Calc is more average for Juniors. At my high school, anyway.

At my kid's school, once you've completed Calculus, you have the option to take a math class (through the public school system) at the local university. You do this as soon as you're ready, which could be your junior year.

Fullback
01-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Forty years ago, we had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill, both ways, without shoes, to study Algebra II.

Alan Yee
01-04-2009, 03:04 AM
At my school, unless you were in the pre-AP/Honors program during middle school or junior high, you take Trigonometry (Algebra 3/4) in your junior year. I'm a junior this year, but I took Algebra 1/2 in seventh grade, Geometry in eighth, Trig during freshman year, and Pre-Calculus during sophomore year. I'm in Calculus this year (which, by the way, is the most useless math class ever).

katiemac
01-04-2009, 03:16 AM
I took Pre-Calc my junior year. I was in an honors class, but almost every junior took Pre-Calc, just at different levels. I took Calculus senior year. It was a heck of a lot easier than Pre-Calc, which I hated.

If I remember right, my high school track went something like Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calc and finally Calc, although students who didn't want Calculus could take one semester of Trigonometry and another semester of Probability and Statistics. Students who liked math could enroll in the semester-only classes as electives.

Horserider
01-04-2009, 07:49 AM
It's Trig and Pre-Calc at the same time at my school. I took Algebra I in 8th grade, Geometry in 9th grade and I'm taking Algebra II now. I'll take Trig next year and possibly Calc my senior year.

Phoebe H
01-04-2009, 08:05 AM
My school district didn't have a math fast-track that started in junior high. If you wanted to to take Pre-calc your senior year, you had to use your Junior year elective to double up and take *two* math classes -- Algebra 2 and Trig/Analytical Geometry.

It sucked big time.

Of course, it simplified the debate I was having about whether to drop Varsity Soccer or Drama. I dropped both.

Clair Dickson
01-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I had a friend who took AP Calc her junior year.
I was in Alg 2 and Trig for the half of junior year that I stayed in high school.

I think it's going to depend on your character more than anything. If they're advanced enough, they would likely be able to dual-enroll and take college courses. If they're behind, they may be only in Algebra or Geometry.

In Michigan, we now have a requirement that all high school graduates have to take Algebra 2-- and have four years of math. A student would need to bee in Geometry, at least, by their Junior year. This is fairly new-- starts with the class of 2011. Class of 2010 was only required to have a 1/2 credit of civics (as their state requirement-- different schools have different requirements just for themselves.)

Oh, and the hardest thing I learned my junior year: that no one in my family knows what 'support in tough times' means...

KJs_Dad
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
If your character is in the fast track (as you indicated) then AP calculus would be logical course. 30 years ago in my school, calculus was the fast track for seniors, but the class a year behind mine had a different fast track and had juniors taking calculus.