Cats in the compost pile

Reaction score
I keep a compost pile in my backyard for my garden.

My neighbor of two doors down has about 20 cats.

When I add compost to the pile, the cats think I'm feeding them.

You wouldn't believe the junk they eat--moldy bread, rotten fruit, winter squash skins, stale popped and unpopped popcorn, egg shells, etc.

I find them annoying, I step in their manure almost everyday.

I know I shouldn't have done this, but I started feeding three of the cute ones some real food. I feed a skinny one that can't ever put on weight, a half-Persian kitten with a twisted tail, and a little half-blind one. Now, they follow me around like I'm some kind of God.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Put chicken wire over the composter if it has walls. You can tie it down with a twist of wire, then lift it when you need to add to it. If they get hold of chicken bones or anything like that, they could choke.

Those poor cats are obviously not getting the attention they need. Perhaps the SPCA should get involved?

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
MordechaiGoodbuds,

I hope you're able to have a discussion with your neighbor about why the cats are so desperate. Perhaps they need new homes.

minervaK

Registered
Reaction score
Mordechai --

Congratulations! You just formed a feral cat colony. Check out www.alleycat.org for more info on what you can do for those critters.

MK

JHillman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackhillman.com
But these aren't feral cats, are they? Didn't you say they were your neighbor's cats?

Sometimes the distinction is a bit thin. If they are coming around to your place that often, they are more feral than that they have acquired an home of their own.

Good job on helping them, but please take care. "Feral" cats have a wide range of problems which could affect you, your family or your friends.

And plant some mint around the compost pile. They'll love it.

moonslice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chocmoon.wordpress.com
JHillman, I agree. Sounds like a thin distinction!

If compost is being used around plants that will produce human food, watch out. Cat poop is toxic and not to be used in compost, so hopefully they won't turn it into a litter box as well.