Do you wiki?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Since I haven't come across mention here of using a wiki as a writing and organizing platform, I thought I'd pass this along for the curious and adventurous, invite input from others who've used this or similar products, or whatever.

http://tiddlyspot.blogspot.com/ -- this free open-source product was recommended to me for use as a writer's journal etc. I've downloaded the master document, but haven't figured out how to really use it yet.

It -- the whole "program" -- is an html document with all the editing scripts built in so that you use a web interface as you modify it. What you end up with is a multipage offline "website" for a project that you access in your browser. Add-ons can extend the basic functions.

One thing I already appreciate about it is that sections can expand and contract on the page, which is so much slicker than tabbing between pages.

For online use (multiple contributor situations) there's a tiddly wiki hosting service. I think I read that not just any webhost will do; not sure. Could be a convenient way to work with beta readers.

Since I'm currently more interested in getting all my writing in one place, and not yet so much in working on a novel, I haven't scoped out the export and printing capabilities. Cut-n-paste will do me for a while with my small bits of writing. And maybe if the organization thing were under control, I'd be more productive and start bigger projects.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
uh, ummm forget it.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this might happen when I saw the thread title. There's a difference between wiki (software that lets people create and edit entries in some sort of freeform database thingie) and Wikipedia (the online encyclopedia thingie that runs on that software).
:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.