PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about dog tricks.

bonobo_jones
01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Cute tricks, innovative techniques, creative commands, tricks for big dogs, tricks for tiny dogs, useful tricks, tricks involving more than one animal...extra credit for cute photos of dogs doing tricks. :) Share here or PM me, it's all good.

I'm working on a Dog Tricks book, due for publication in October 09. It covers everything from tricks specific to dog sports and obedience to cute basic tricks like shake hands and wave goodbye. And more complex tricks. The more input I get from real people, the better.

If anyone has actually taught their dog to go fetch a drink from the fridge and wants to share, I'll send you a signed copy of the book when I get my freebies! I've taught one of mine a few of the steps but it's a long process. He goes and opens the door, but targeting a bottle is harder than it looks. I can use food, but he just eats it.

Much appreciated!

KTC
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know if this would be considered a trick or not. I trained my dog to do it so I wouldn't have to do it.

One day I realized the ONE person making the biggest mess in the house was my dog. We have a basket of toys and blankets for her. She would take them out and play with them, but never put them back. One day, I simply thought, "enough is enough". I taught her to clean up when she's done playing. It was a simple rewards thing...she's a retriever. I just kept getting her to pick up her toys and bring them back to the basket by food rewarding her when she brought them to the basket and dropped them in. She knows the word for each toy and when asked to retrieve it, she'll grab that certain toy. She also knows blanket...but it took a little longer with that one since she has 3 or 4 blankets...in the beginning she tried to grab them all up at once.

HeronW
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I sort of taught Duke, our yellow lab to sing. I'd sit by him, go 'arooooo' and he'd howl back. I don't know if he did it to be companionable or I was irritating him. :} He was a good dog, hated water though.

BellaRush
01-11-2009, 06:50 AM
I've taught 'play dead' with a couple of different dogs, using different commands. My current dog does it when I tell him to 'go to sleep' but my girl that I lost a couple of years ago would do it when I said "Would you rather be married or dead?" She keyed off the word 'dead' of course, but it never failed to make people laugh. She could do a lot of stuff, but that one got the best reaction. I tried to teach her to pick up the remote for the TV, and she would, but wasn't really impressed by that exercise! She could do a lot of stuff.

Soccer Mom
01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I've taught my lab/husky mix to cha-cha, commando crawl on his belly, close doors, dance on his hind legs and spin like a top. I would imagine the fridge trick would involve teaching a variety of "pull" using a cord tied to the handle, "bring" to fetch the drink, and "touch it" to close the door. Once the dog has the routine, you start condensing it until you have a simple command. I'm tempted to teach my dog this now, but I"m scared because he's too smart. I don't want to have to keep the fridge locked.

I already keep the ice maker locked. He likes ice and learned how to shoot it out by accidentally hitting the button when I was teaching him to close door. Oy! Learned my lesson with smart dogs.

SHBueche
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I am a member of the Dog Writer's Association of America (dwaa.org) and we just had a lengthy online discussion of dog tricks and dog games. If you want to send me your e-mail address (I am SHBueche@aol.com), I can post this to the group.

Kitty Pryde
01-13-2009, 12:36 AM
My friend's father trained their dog to pick up trash (wadded up paper), carry it to the kitchen, open the cupboard, throw the trash in the trashcan, and shut the cupboard. She (the dog) went blind in her middle age, but she can still throw away the garbage if prompted.

My other friend's dog is trained to 'do yoga': he does the Downward Dog pose (how appropriate) on command

PS your dog is a cute furry beast!

Puma
01-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Our spaniel mix (and our daughter's shepherd mix) loves to play play - and she's an excellent catch. When she brings the ball back to us, she always makes a circle around behind us and then puts the ball right smack between our feet. If the ball rolls away, she'll keep after it until it stays where it should. If by any chance we're being lazy and sitting in a chair, if we tell her "up here" she'll put the ball in our lap - daughter's dog does this too. Daughter's dog actually "throws" the ball back to us with a head toss. Both are very smart dogs. Puma

bonobo_jones
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks all - I'll PM if I have more questions...what a bunch of smart doggies we have. :) I've actually taught my dogs (I have four currently) quite a few tricks but have never invested a lot of time in it. I do agility, obedience and have dabbled with tracking. Depending on how one defines "tricks" there's a lot of crossover between regular training and trick training.

Shelley, will shoot you an email, thanks so much.

TerzaRima
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I can't comment. I have a basset hound, and the other day she puked, then actually growled at Mr Rima when he tried to prevent her from eating it. But I'm loving all the smart doggie stories.

shawkins
01-19-2009, 11:31 PM
My yellow lab is a pretty good problem solver.

I used to give her sliced turkey and such as a treat sometimes. Also, I kept a dish towel hanging on the door handle of my refrigerator. One day I came home and she was sprawled out napping in the middle of the shredded remains of about six bags of cold cuts. All I can figure is that she grabbed the towel in her mouth, yanked the door open, and made herself a snack.

I won't go into her trash bandit phase other than to say my current kitchen trashcan is a stainless steel number with a padlock. No kidding or exaggeration--photos on request.

auntybug
01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
My Dalmatian loves to high five. Treat or no treat. It took my choco lab 5 years to learn to shake. After that "lay down" came very easily. (They worship cheese balls) Before that - she pretty much had "sit there & look stupid" down ;)

A girl I worked with at a vet had a Bouvier that she took to Senior homes - it was awesome & did everything under the sun. My favorite was when she held her hand like a gun and said "bang" & it dropped & played dead.