Adventures with a Bread Machine

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Ok folks, we had a thread on the pros and cons of a bread machine here.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103554&highlight=bread+machine

In THIS thread I am looking for tips on how to use one. Please stay on topic, thanks.

Attempt One:

Kristie911 very kindly gave me her bread machine because I was thinking of getting one and started a thread here on bread machines - love 'em or hate 'em. Plus, she's just cool that way.

Anyway, she can't find the manual, and I can't find it on google. There is an 800 number on the machine, but it isn't bread machine related anymore. v. weird.

So I turned to my trusty Joy of Cooking. Sure enough, bread machine recipe. Ah, but it says to reference the manual for specifics. oh joy. I decide to wing it anyway. I mean, I won't figure it out by letting it collect dust, right?

Well, it came out dense and chewy with a very crispy crust. I am thinking my yeast is dead.

2cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons non fat dry milk. ( i didn't have any, use a bit of real milk)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon active dry yeast (ok just realized I used quick rising, and 1 1/2 teaspoon...but would that make it dense????)
1 tablespoon veg oil
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water (used a little less as used real milk)

but it says to refer to bread machine book and add ingredients at temp recommended by book and I ain't got it. I followed the instructions on the yeast pack for the temp of the water.

I also don't know....I added the ingredients directly into the machine, and let the machine mix it. Am I supposed to do it that way, or mix it and add it?

I read another thread where Laurie suggested the heating element might be wearing out in response to another poster's spongy bread. I suppose that is a possiblility.

I am thinking maybe I'll use it for dough and bake the bread. but I'm not quitting!!!

Thanks all for any help.

Sass- contemplating kik's bread pudding suggestion. mmm...

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
You may be having problems because any bread machine I've used you have to put the ingredients in sequence. I don't have one now but my dad does (he loves them so much that he has one on reserve). I will look for you tomorrow to see exactly what goes in first - and machines are all different, but if I'm remembering correctly, most say that the salt cannot not touch the yeast so when making it, the salt goes in one corner and the yeast in another. Seems weird since they are all mixed together but it does make a difference.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd increase your yeast. One teaspoon isn't going to do squat. Try a Tablespoon instead.

We used a bread machine for many years (don't any longer) with no problems. We dumped the ingredients in randomly and pressed Start. However, we didn't like the way the bread cooked in the machine, so we basically used it as a bread dough maker.

Now, we have a simple recipe to make bread, sans machine:

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon salt

I mix the yeast and salt into the warm water then stir in the flour. Stir until the flour is moistened and sticky. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours. Knead a bit and shape, placing it on a baking sheet. Let sit for 1/2 hour. Then cook at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

Easy peasy.

Reaction score
The objection I have to bread machines is that the paddle leaves a big hole in the bread.

Mostly, what the bread machine does is knead the bread. What's so hard about kneading the bread? Takes 10 minutes.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thanks vixey and mordechai. I already had a thread on the pros and cons of a bread machine. now I am looking for tips on how to use mine since I don't have the manual.

I rec'd one from Cassiopeia in another thread. I'll add it here to keep on topic.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3122685&postcount=54681
The secret to bread machines is to put the liquid, butter/oil and salt in the bottom. Then the flour and the yeast on top.

If I can find my recipe my ex hubby and I figured out for it, I'll post it to you. It was something like:
1 c. warm water
3 c. flour
2 tbs oil/butter
1 tsp. salt
2 tbls sugar
1 tsp yeast.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother makes homemade sourdough bread--the old fashioned way. I can tell you her adventure with the bread machine I gave her for Christmas one year. That was back when bread machines first came on the market.

She opened the present, looked at the bread machine the way a Porsche driver looks at a Kia, told me "thank you very much", put the thing away "for the time being" . . . and two years later put it in a yard sale unused.

;-)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue
now how does that help me figure this one out? Really AC.

no, actually I've gotten alot of help. I am going to try again, maybe later today or tomorrow.

must go walk dog now. poor pup.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Y'know what's the coolest thing about a bread machine? Setting its timer so it starts doing its thing about 4AM, when everyone's still asleep, and then waking up at six to the aroma--and taste--of a fresh-baked loaf. Add butter and homemade jam, and you're well-strapped to face whatever a hard winter morning can throw at you.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The secret to bread machines is to put the liquid, butter/oil and salt in the bottom. Then the flour and the yeast on top.

Yep. That, and I always heat the mixing unit with warm water first, otherwise I find the bread doesn't rise enough.

Also, your machine may have different settings for different types of bread. What make and model is it?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
willie, thank you so much. that is a good idea.

My bread machine is a Regal Kitchen Pro Collection with the following settings:
Large Light
Large Dark
Regular Light
Whole Wheat
French
Sweet
Quick Bread
Dough
Pizza Dough
Pasta Dough
Jam
Bake Only

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
second attempt:

Success! I used the same recipe and it is 3 inches higher! It actually has a bread texture instead of chewy gummy bread. Yay!

I took the pan thingy out of the machine for the bread to cool before I took it out and the bread was soggy at the bottom. Should I have let it cool in the machine or taken it out of the pan sooner? If so, how? that sucker was hot. I burnt my finger. :( Then I ate toast and jam (which I also just made.) Nom nom nom. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
now how does that help me figure this one out? Really AC.
Throw away the damn bread machine is my suggestion.

Okay, okay, I'll sit over here and be quiet and behave.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
second attempt:

Success! I used the same recipe and it is 3 inches higher! It actually has a bread texture instead of chewy gummy bread. Yay!

I took the pan thingy out of the machine for the bread to cool before I took it out and the bread was soggy at the bottom. Should I have let it cool in the machine or taken it out of the pan sooner? If so, how? that sucker was hot. I burnt my finger. :( Then I ate toast and jam (which I also just made.) Nom nom nom. :D

Glad you have success Sass since I forgot to check for you.

You should remove the bread from the pan before it cools because as you noticed the bottom gets soggy - run a knife (or something plastic so you don't scratch the coating) around the edges and turn upside down for a moment or two. Then let cool on the counter for a lovely crust.

PS My dad makes a beautiful raisin loaf - he uses the basic recipe and adds raisins and a lot of cinnamon - no extra sugar. Fab to have in the morning.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Take the bread out of the machine immediately after the buzzer goes off. Then remove the loaf from the tub and place it on a rack to cool as quickly as possible. If you leave it in the machine, the crust will be tough, as will the bread. If you have trouble shaking the loaf out of the tub, slide a wooden spoon down the sides of the tub to release the bread.

The flour and water ratio is very critical to get a consistent loaf, and the quality of the flour is important. I use only flour made for bread. Also make sure you are using yeast made for bread machines. It does make a difference. Room temperature can also make a difference in bread quality when using the 4 hour bake.

Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, something will not be right and a loaf will fail.

You should be able to find a manual online if you search for the manufacturer's website, or even type in the manufacturer, model number and "manual".

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine the heating element is wearing out...I only used it 3 or 4 times. Though I do remember I took the bread out as soon as it was done cooking.

(I'm going to do another search for the manual for you...I just can't believe it would have gotten thrown away!)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey Sass! You've gotten great info already. I love my machine but did find, even with the manual, that (1) you should put the wet ingredients in first, then the dry, then make a well in the middle of the flour for the yeast. (2) No two bread machine cookbooks are alike. And even then, cerain recipes will work, others won't. It's trial and error. (3) use potholders and get that bread out of the pan right away. Just dump it over onto a cooling rack.

And oh yeah--2 cups flour=1 lb.loaf, 3 cups flour= 1 1/2 lb loaf, 4 cups flour=2 lb.loaf.

Have fun experimenting (but not just before company's coming, like I did once :rolleyes: ).

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thanks everyone. Duly noted. take out right away, make a well for the yeast...good stuff good stuff. I finished the loaf that was a success (Hey I just made jam too. :)) so it is time to experiment again.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ok...
3rd attempt. I bought bread machine flour. I used the bread machine brioche recipe in the Joy of Cooking cook book. I put the fat and liquid and salt in first, then the flour, sugar and yeast, as advised. BUt in my zeal to follow the tips to my friends, I put all the butter in at once (at the start) instead of reading the directions in the cook book to add a pat of butter at a time while it is kneading. BUt really, I am using a bread machine, if i wanted to WORK on the bread, I wouldn't be using a machine, right? Any way, I realized my folly after the machine was doing it's thang, so I decided to just wait and see. I mean, what else can i do?

WELL...it turned out GREAT!!! It sort of tasted/had a texture like challah (egg bread.) but wasn't as yellow. I don't know how it would have been different had I added the butter a little at a time, but it was great as it was. maybe I'll try it the other way some time and see.

Anyway I was so happy with it I ate it up pretty quickly.

Attempt 4.
I used the brioche recipe again, but used honey instead of sugar and added some ground flax seed. IT IS SPECTACULAR!!!! I also put all the butter in at once, against the advice of the cook book. I am such a rebel. But with such great results, why bother? This batch was done as dinner (beef roast, potatoes and green beans) was done, so we had warm bread with dinner. This is the first time mr. groove did more than take one bite and say it was good. I am pleased, pleased I tell you!!! and, between dinner, breakfast, and now lunch, it is almost time for attempt number FIVE. I am excited!!!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Sass as long as you are experimenting here's something to try. Substitute half whole wheat flour for the white, and instead of sugar or honey, try some molasses. The whole wheat gives it a more hearty texture and the molasses makes it darker and gives it a different but still delicious flavour.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
kikazaru and sass--two questions--what setting (whole wheat or white) do you use when you use half whole wheat and half white flour? And I like the idea of either honey or molasses instead of sugar. But--with the liquid sweetener, what amount would you use that would equal the sugar? (Great thread, sass!)

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru and sass--two questions--what setting (whole wheat or white) do you use when you use half whole wheat and half white flour? And I like the idea of either honey or molasses instead of sugar. But--with the liquid sweetener, what amount would you use that would equal the sugar? (Great thread, sass!)
You'd have to ask Kik about the setting, remember I don't have a manual for my machine. :D The recipe I am using right now calls for two tablespoons of sugar so I used two table spoons of honey in one batch and two tablespoons of molasses in another. I am happy with the results. The honey flavor was obvious with being overwhelming. :)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score

I don't have a bread maker any more but the one I had was really basic - it didn't have whole wheat or white settings - just settings for colour and loaf size. The machine came with various recipes and I followed the recipe for bread sweetened with honey but substituted molasses.

When I make bread by hand I never worry about exact measurements and just go by feel but I know that the machine is more precise. If you can't find exact instructions I think what I'd do is if it calls for Tbs of sugar I'd substitute the same amount of honey or molasses but reduce the water by perhaps a Tbs or so and see how it is.