He gets it!! He gets it!! (or, Spouses & Writing)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My husband, until recently, had never read anything that I'd written. He understood that I took my writing seriously, that it was a passion, but he didn't relate to it at all. In particular, when I talked about my characters like they were real people, he'd look at me like I'd lost my mind. It's been a bit of a bone of contention with us for a few years that while he says he supports my writing, he's never read anything.

The other day, he asked for and started reading Camera Shy. I was thrilled that he finally read something. I got some interesting feedback from him, and he actually seemed excited to read the rest of it. In fact, he's probably going to finish it today. It was fun to talk to him about the story, get his input on the characters, etc.

But then, a day or two later, we were out taking pictures on the beach and he got a shot that I didn't even see...really cool angle, just a gorgeous picture all around. I said, "Damn, that's awesome. How did you even SEE it?"

He said...and I quote...

"It seemed like an interesting shot, so I just took it. It was kind of like when Jason saw that one shot and didn't think about it. It felt right, so he just took it, and it worked."

Jason is a photographer.

He's also the male lead in Camera Shy.

:LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove: :LilLove:

Honestly, after several years of trying to get him to even READ my stuff, it meant a hell of a lot to hear him say that, like he was actually relating to a real person instead of a fictional character.

I'm probably nuts, but it meant a lot to me, and none of my non-writer friends could possibly get it, so I had to post it here.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe this should have gone under 'Goals and accomplishments'. ;)

Congrats, btw.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
That's great. My wife and family have been involved in both my books from an early stage so I know what it means to have that support and understanding.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh he's gonna get some :tongue

I can't relate completely, but I can relate. I'm glad you've gotten this experience.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably nuts, but it meant a lot to me, and none of my non-writer friends could possibly get it, so I had to post it here.

Probably? PROBABLY????

:D

On a more serious note, I know whereof you speak. My parents and brother never really understood this writing thing I do, even though they've read and enjoyed my stuff. But they don't understand about revision, marketing, or anything like that. They don't understand about copyright--I sent some shorts to my dad for him to enjoy, and the next thing I know, they're published in his church newsletter, without my permission. :(

So I have to be very careful about what I allow them to read, and they still think that a "real job" is more important than my writing.

My ex and my two eldest kids, however, are all writers. And they GET IT. Their feedback and support has been invaluable--I think I may have given up years ago if it hadn't been for the kids egging me on.

Anyhow, glad to hear that your hubby gets it, Lori. It's important for your work to be appreciated by the ones you love.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Bah! I'm suspicious of the timing, the perfect timing and the perfect line. Don't believe it for a second, he's after something!

-Derek (insanely jealous - my other half has never, ever expressed an interest in reading a single word)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
That's so awesome.

It killed me to let the Slave read my writing, but when he ploughed through TV in one sitting and started telling me things about the characters, I got that happy yey feeling you're talking about.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Awesome! I have always been extremely grateful to have a husband that was not only supportive but willing to read what I wrote and offer advice/criticism/ideas. It's great to hear when someone else gets to enjoy even a portion of what I sometimes take for granted. :Hug2: to you and your hubby.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Great news, Lori.

This happened for me a couple weeks ago. I had printed out my first three for mark-up, and DW decided she'd give it a read. She brought a female perspective to the review, pointed out a couple of things that didn't ring true to her, and asked a few very perceptive questions that changed how some things happen later in the book.

She's now proud to claim the title of my 'alpha reader,' and I'm so glad to have someone who's willing to read with a sharp eye and a reader's perspective. It's given us something to work on in common, as well.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I am insanely jealous. My Husband is wonderful and I love him dearly, he is very supportive of my writing. He gives he time and understands the disapointment when I get rejections and he can't wait to see my work published- BUT- he has never and most likely will never read a word of what I write. He just isn't a reader. In all the time I have known him (24 years) he has read 3 novels.

I can live with it-

But I am happy for you!!!!:hooray:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
YES!YES!YES! That sort of listening and caring about your literary child is huge.