PDA

View Full Version : Judge taking office

Don
01-02-2009, 03:29 AM
I have someone in my WIP who gets elected to a county judgeship. I assume there would be a swearing-in at some date after the election, and she would get friends and neighbors together afterward to celebrate.

Does anyone have any experience to confirm this?

Captshady
01-02-2009, 03:37 AM
In my county, they judge is sworn in my the county commissioner's court judge, and not individually. It's all the new judges at the same time.

Don
01-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks, Capt. Sounds like I could still manage a get-together afterward for my new judge. :)

GirlWithPoisonPen
01-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Maybe the local newspaper would have an article about the swearing in? That would give you the timing and if any other events went with it.

Don
01-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Yes, and the local bad guy will be able to figure out from that information that it's a fair bet there will be a celebration later, and he can invade one of her friend's homes with impunity.

Too bad the friend's going to go back home to get something she forgot. I really don't want him to kill her. But when she starts rooting through her purse for her cell phone as the door swings open, I'm afraid he's hot-headed and scared enough he's going to do something stupid, particularly since he knows she's usually armed.

Too implausible?

Captshady
01-02-2009, 04:11 AM
I've been a county employee for 10 years. The swearing in is huge, I don't know that anyone's not allowed. The party each judge throws afterward is by invitation only.

Don
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM
I've been a county employee for 10 years. The swearing in is huge, I don't know that anyone's not allowed. The party each judge throws afterward is by invitation only.
That works perfectly. It wouldn't be hard for my bad guy to hear through the grapevine that the judge would be having a party, and he could expect her friend to attend. :)

Captshady
01-02-2009, 04:30 AM
That works perfectly. It wouldn't be hard for my bad guy to hear through the grapevine that the judge would be having a party, and he could expect her friend to attend. :)

Definitely!

Rabe
01-02-2009, 05:59 AM

At the last major county election we got a new county treasurer, sheriff, justice/municipal court judge and a few other new people in positions.

The swearing in was HUGE because the sheriff's department had to be there to be 'resworn' with the new sheriff. The district court judge who was doing this almost moved it to a new room.

And yes, the sheriff's department had a HUGE party afterwards which was just for employees and guests. I don't know what the judge did. I know he had a party the night of the election.

Rabe...