PDA

View Full Version : Anyone receive books for Christmas??

BarbaraKE
01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Just curious - did anyone receive books for Christmas? If so, what are they?

Me? I didn't receive any. Not one. :cry:

(Sorry if this has already been asked. I didn't see a thread about it. But if there is one, feel free to combine.)

Exir
01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
None :(

StevenJ
01-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Yup:

A Jealous Ghost by A.N. Wilson - Terrible rewrite of Turn of the Screw.
The Spear by James Herbert - Hilarious. Exposition overload. Garth Merenghi lives.
Koba the Dread by Martin Amis - Amis tries, and fails, to become an historian.

Gary Clarke
01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - Desperately waiting for shops to open so that I can buy the sequel.

Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell , by Susanna Clarke - (reccomended by fellow AWer) Haven't started it yet but looking forward to it!

Want to kick back and enjoy the reading while I can. Despite my best intentions, I started the new novel yesterday ( noooooo! was meant to give myself at least four months break!) and so the reading will go out the window very soon.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Books are the last things you buy readers as gifts. As my dad says, "You'd probably already have read it or bought your own copy."

Susan Gable
01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
No books, but a nice fat gift card for Borders so I can pick out my own books. <G> No one wants to by me something, as SP pointed out, that I've already read.

So, I get to book shopping!!!! Wooohoooo! (First I'll stop off in the AW library to see what new releases my friends from AW have on the shelves. <G> I'll make a shopping list.)

Susan G.

Gary Clarke
01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Scarlet, little Christmas tip, *cof* ask for what you want *cof*

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Meh. I'm not big on Christmas anyway. Plus, when it comes to books I'd rather choose my own.

My dad says "I was gonna give you book tokens but I figured you'd rather have the money."

Pragmatic? Yep. Unthoughtful? No. I read voraciously and because of this it'd be a waste of someone's money because ten to one on, I've already got the book they buy me.

Sure, I could ask, but that defeats the purpose of giving, if you know what it is beforehand.

Ken
01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
...received one: "Planet Google."

tehuti88
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I didn't receive books, but only because my family has no clue what books I want or already have. :o My mother did pay for an Amazon purchase I made though...I bought a book on voyageurs, a book on Indian women and French men in the fur trade, and a book on ancient Indian copper mining in the Lake Superior region. Yea! *is a dork* :D

Parametric
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Brace yourselves!

Paul Kearney's THE TEN THOUSAND
Ellen Kushner's THE PRIVILEGE OF THE SWORD
Diana Wynne Jones' THE TOUGH GUIDE TO FANTASYLAND
Matthew Woodring Stover's HEROES DIE
Terry Pratchett's NATION

Every Christmas I list all the books I'd like and my family score half a dozen of them for me. (After the Robert Newcomb Incident they are wise to the dangers of trying to make book choices themselves.) This makes me a very happy person on Christmas morning. <3 I also received Richard Morgan's THE STEEL REMAINS, Jeff Somers' THE DIGITAL PLAGUE and David Anthony Durham's ACACIA recently.

BarbaraKE
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Ack!! I should have included a bookstore gift card. If you did get a gift card, what did you buy (or what do you plan to buy)?

I didn't receive any giftcards either. Bummer.

BarbaraKE
01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Every Christmas I list all the books I'd like and my family score half a dozen of them for me.

This is an excellent idea!! I'll have to do that next year.

What's "The Ten Thousand" about? I have a book with the same title but it's by Michael Curtis Ford.

Puma
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Books are one of the primary presents in our house, we each get several based on our likes. My favorites from this year are:

Dr. Seuss Goes to War - his WWII editorial cartoons
Snowflakes - nonfiction and full of gorgeous pictures

My husband's favorite is Boy Toys - a history of the toys that have delighted boys for years

Our daughter's favorite was a "made by Mom" - photo albums of her growing up years. She alternated between laughing and crying.

Between the three of us, I think there were about twenty-five book presents - my type of Christmas. Puma

RobJ
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Gift cards, with which I've so far bought:

- Writers Talk (conversations with contemporary British novelists), edited by Philip Tew

- How Fiction Works, by James Wood

- Writer's Market UK 2009

- Sputnik Sweetheart, by Haruki Murakami

- Solaris Book of New Science Fiction Vol 2, edited by George Mann

Cheers,
Rob

Nakhlasmoke
01-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I didn't receive one book.

However, everyone got a book from me.

JamieFord
01-01-2009, 09:19 PM
LA Requiem, Robert Crais
Borges: Collected Fictions, Jorge Luis Borges
Two Years Before the Mast, Richard Henry Dana
The Complete Stories, Franz Kafka
The Ten-Cent Plague, David Hajdu
Watching the Watchmen, Dave Gibbons, et al

And those are just the ones off the top of my head...

Komnena
01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
A book on horses.
The Kearney book is a fantasy version of the story in the Michael Curtis Ford book.

Parametric
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Ack!! I should have included a bookstore gift card. If you did get a gift card, what did you buy (or what do you plan to buy)?

I also have an Amazon gift certificate from a friend. I'm planning to use it to buy some more Ellen Kushner books - I didn't realise The Privilege of the Sword was the sequel to a sequel. Sadly I think one of the two sequels is out of print, so I'll have to find another paperback to buy. :D

This Michael Curtis Ford person is trying to muscle in on my love for the brilliant and sadly unappreciated Paul Kearney. His book is clearly an attempt to cash in on Kearney's genius!

(Let's just check those publication dates ...)

Clearly, I say. :tongue

BarbaraKE
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
This Michael Curtis Ford person is trying to muscle in on my love for the brilliant and sadly unappreciated Paul Kearney. His book is clearly an attempt to cash in on Kearney's genius!

(Let's just check those publication dates ...)

Clearly, I say. :tongue

Well, the Ford book has a copywrite of 2001. It's been a while since I read it but I seem to remember it as being quite good.

Claudia Gray
01-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, I got two cookbooks and two books on Roman history.

And I gave books to nine people (more than one book in some cases).

kellysarah
01-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I got Eats, Shoots and Leaves. :D

circlexranch
01-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I haven't spent my gift card yet, I look forward to an entirely leisurely afternoon or evening of filling and emptying my virtual shopping cart several times as I decide what to add to the library.

Can't wait!

I consider a gift card to be three presents: 1- receiving it, 2 - shopping with it, 3 - receiving the package. A definite gift that keeps on giving!

underthecity
01-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents

The Everything Father To Be Book

Michael Chricton's Next

Clive Cussler's Treasure of Khan

burgy61
01-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I didn't receive books, but only because my family has no clue what books I want or already have. :o My mother did pay for an Amazon purchase I made though...I bought a book on voyageurs, a book on Indian women and French men in the fur trade, and a book on ancient Indian copper mining in the Lake Superior region. Yea! *is a dork* :D

You're not alone, must be something in the water here. I would like to know if you enjoy the book about copper mining. Copper Harbor has always been a favorite place of mine to visit and I have been there dozens of times.

The last few years my oldest son has given me books. Last year was the The Oxford Companion to Wine, and this year, Gun A Visual History. He looks for books about things I'm interested in instead of novels. I can never keep track of what he is reading so I just get him gift cards to Borders.

A.L. Wright
01-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I got Eats, Shoots and Leaves. :D

Me too! :)

I also got:

Lucky by Alice Sebold
A Gothic Treasure Trove (compiled by Reader's Digest)
New York City's 25 Best (This one's more of a touristy thing, since I'm going to be applying for internships in New York.)

Grrarrgh
01-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I think most people dislike getting me books as gifts because they assume that I'll either already have read it or won't like it. I do get gift cards on occasion, but not this year. I got Just After Sunset by Stephen King from Mr. Grr, but that's it.

rhymegirl
01-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Yup. Four novels I already mentioned in another thread.

ChaosTitan
01-02-2009, 03:48 AM
I didn't get any books this year, but every year my grandparents give me a hundred bucks. So I bought books I knew I wanted.

Heart of Stone, CE Murphy
Heart of the Dragon, Gena Showalter
Slave to Sensation/Visions of Heat, Nalini Singh
Books 2-4 of the Dresden Files, Jim Butcher
Books on Ancient Egypt, Magical Creatures, and Secret Signs & Symbols

:D

Kitty Pryde
01-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Yes!

Desserts By The Yard, by Sherry Yard (got two copies in fact! oops! one was exchanged for a chef coat)
Writers Market (yay!)
And all NINE Torchwood novels (I can't help it, I have a Ianto obsession!)

joyce
01-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Chicken Soup for the Mother & Daughter Soul
The Celestine Prophecy, James Redfield

vfury
01-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Yup, I got three:

HENRY: VIRTUOUS PRINCE, David Starkey
THE KISS OF DEATH, Marcus Sedgwick
THE SUMMONING, Kelley Armstrong

I ask for book tokens every year, but get told to make a list of books that my family can pick from instead. I keep a copy of the list so I can remember what else I wrote down. *coughs*

P.H.Delarran
01-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Stories in Stone (http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Stone-Douglas-Keister/dp/158685321X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230856903&sr=1-1) (the paperback version) the amazing thing is that my 12 yr old son knew to buy this for me and spent his own allowance on it.

DamaNegra
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Bleh, I recieved ONLY books. And a shirt. I love books, but I'm tired of my family thinking that's the ONLY think I like. For once, I'd like to recieve a cool gadget or something.

Vandal
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Asked for and received:

The Fiction Class by Susan Breen

The Land of Mist and Snow by James Macdonald and Debra Doyle

Looking forward to reading both!

jennifer75
01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I got one book, and a $100 gift card to Borders.

Blondchen
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
My inlaws have gotten all goofy over me now that I have bamboozled an agent into signing me. They bought me The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes and Elements of Style. For the first, I really, REALLY hope I'm don't need it and for the second, this will be copy #3. But hey, you can't have too many Strunks in the house, right?

It's cute. They have no idea what to make of me.

My mom did it right - big ol' Amazon gift card. I already bought (and received) A Great and Terrible Beauty and four research books. And a pair of shoes. :D

kristie911
01-02-2009, 11:41 AM
No books but my BF got me a $50 gift card to Barnes and Noble. Yay! :snoopy:

cherubsmummy
01-02-2009, 12:57 PM
The Boleyn Inheritance
The Heretic's Daughter and
Wuthering Heights.

I like historicals :)

illiterwrite
01-02-2009, 02:27 PM
My inlaws always ask for detailed lists. This year, I put down about five books. I received none. Instead, I got a pair of leather gloves with weird green flecks in them, and an electric toothbrush (neither of which I wanted).

Sigh.

Luckily, my mother-in-law has at least one of the books on my list, so I'm borrowing a few.

Momento Mori
01-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I got 2 non-fiction books this year:

1. F*** It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way by John C. Parkin.

2. Austerity Britain 1945 - 1951 by David Kynson.

I've also just left my job and got a 70 gift card as a leaving present, which I'm happily spending my way through. Books are my addiction.

MM

KTC
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I actually didn't...for the first time I can remember. But I did get some money and went out and bought BE THE PACK LEADER by Cesar Millan. So, I sort of got a book.

tehuti88
01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
You're not alone, must be something in the water here. I would like to know if you enjoy the book about copper mining. Copper Harbor has always been a favorite place of mine to visit and I have been there dozens of times.

I'm afraid I haven't gotten to read it yet and probably won't for quite a while, since I'm building up a little library of related books and have over a hundred so far! :o But I'm betting I'll enjoy it since it looks quite informative. Hard to find books on this subject.

I also got a couple of Amazon gift certificates which I hope to spend toward buying another, similar book. :D *is terribly predictable*

Peachnuts
01-02-2009, 10:04 PM
My husband who reads three books a year compared to my three books a month, got a Chapters GC and I stole it from him! (don't worry a fair trade was made;)

I bought:
The Birth House~Ami Mckay
The Outlander~ Gil Andamson
A Vampire romance in the Blackdagger series which is HOT~ JR Ward

Sean D. Schaffer
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Just curious - did anyone receive books for Christmas? If so, what are they?

Me? I didn't receive any. Not one. :cry:

(Sorry if this has already been asked. I didn't see a thread about it. But if there is one, feel free to combine.)

Not this year, but last year I received a hardbound copy of Christopher Paolini's Eldest. My family isn't really into giving me books for Christmas, although sometimes, if a title or cover art catches their eye (like the red dragon's head on the aforementioned book did last year) they'll usually consider getting me a copy. :)