PDA

View Full Version : She wants to get married...what St. should she pray to?

escritora
01-01-2009, 03:19 AM
A minor character in my book wants to get married. Is there a Cathlolic Saint she can pray to? She may be able to pray to any Saint, but I'm looking for a Saint where there is some type of symbolism involved.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 03:20 AM
St Jude, patron saint of lost causes.

Oh no, wait, that's for me, isn't it...

alleycat
01-01-2009, 03:24 AM
St. Valentine.

Of course.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 03:25 AM
What if she doesn't want to be tortured to death though?

citymouse
01-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Archangel Raphael.
C

willfulone
01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, here are two prayers at this link. Maybe one of them will work for your story. Though not sure how religious you wish to get:

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=497

also here is a link to 107 saints (there are many more) that come up on catholic site when marriage is put in as the search key word:

http://www.catholic.org/search_site.php?search_term=marriage&qqq=Saints

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Christine

johnnysannie
01-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Mary (Virgin Mary, a Saint, of course) is most often invoked for hopes of marriage and especially a happy marriage.

As an example, the day before my own wedding, I went to church and prayed at a Marian shrine for a happy marriage.

JHillman
01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
St Pauli Girl? Give him enough of those and most anyone would marry her.

willfulone
01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
St Pauli Girl? Give him enough of those and most anyone would marry her.

Ah! there ya go. But what will you give the poor lass? St. Vallium?

Christine

willfulone
01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Mary (Virgin Mary, a Saint, of course) is most often invoked for hopes of marriage and especially a happy marriage.

As an example, the day before my own wedding, I went to church and prayed at a Marian shrine for a happy marriage.

Yepper - the second prayer in that first link I put up ^ there was to Mary. So, you are on to something there.

Christine

AnnieColleen
01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Sts. Joachim and Anne, parents of Mary.

Smiling Ted
01-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Google "patron saints."
There are at least three web sites I've seen with a complete list of saints, organized by name and subject of patronage. Marriage is in there somewhere.

DamaNegra
01-02-2009, 08:21 AM
What? No, no. You have to go out and get an image or (preferrably) a sculpture of San Antonio and put him upside down, so he's on his head. They you pray to him every day until you get a marriage proposal, then you put him right side up.

Sheesh, that's common knowledge. ;)

johnnysannie
01-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Yepper - the second prayer in that first link I put up ^ there was to Mary. So, you are on to something there.

Christine

I don't check out links for information that I am not seeking. I do, however, try to provide honest information within my ken to anyone asking.

And sarcasm is what I get for trying. Sigh.

escritora
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm researching the suggestions and links to find the most appropriate St. for the character.

escritora
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
What? No, no. You have to go out and get an image or (preferrably) a sculpture of San Antonio and put him upside down, so he's on his head. They you pray to him every day until you get a marriage proposal, then you put him right side up.

Sheesh, that's common knowledge.

Ha! The character practices Santeria so there will be a bit of "flavor" invoked in the prayer. :-)

willfulone
01-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't check out links for information that I am not seeking. I do, however, try to provide honest information within my ken to anyone asking.

And sarcasm is what I get for trying. Sigh.

Wow!

It was NOT sarcasm at you or your post at all. Just replying to OP that you were spot on and that there was a specific prayer she could pull up to view at that link I provided for I had not said who the saints were that I posted prayer link about originally. NOT that you did anything wrong, said anything wrong or were remiss in NOT pulling up a link.

Don't go assuming someone is snarking at you without provocation. For I was not, would not. Had no reason to.

But, just so we are even...sod off.

Christine

cbenoi1
01-03-2009, 01:42 AM
In France, girls above 25 who want to marry pray Sainte Catherine and put on a hat they made themselves. This Catholic holiday is on the 25th of November each year. No clue as to how this translates to other countries.

http://www.hku.hk/french/starters/fetes.htm

-cb

IceCreamEmpress
01-05-2009, 04:14 AM
St. Catherine is the patron of women seeking husbands in Ireland and among Americans and Canadians of Irish ancestry: the folk-prayer-nursery rhyme is "St. Catherine, St. Catherine, send me a man! St. Catherine, St. Catherine, soon as you can!"

DamaNegra
01-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Ha! The character practices Santeria so there will be a bit of "flavor" invoked in the prayer. :-)

Well... I'm not sure it has anything to do with Santeria. The remedy I gave you is what every woman in Mexico does when she wants to get married. It's common knowledge here :) so I was really surprised no one else knew.