Web Site Questions

Molfitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janmolnarfitzgerald.com
Hey, everyone, Happy New Year!!

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I'm sure you'll redirect me if I'm wrong.

Two questions:

1. How did they do that? I'm trying to figure out how a particular Web page was created. I've figured out the Header and the Footer but the center frame seems to be an embedded pdf. The link to that frame is a "redirect" I believe, probably checking to see if the computer has Adobe Reader.
How do we embed a pdf? How do we create a link to the pdf file so that it is embedded. I like the look of the pdf embedded without all the tool bars, etc that surround a linked pdf file. I've searched for the answer but nothing I've tried will work.
Here's the link to the web page using the embedded pdf:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

2. I'm designing my own Writer/Editor Web site. Anyone want to give their opinion of it....or am I in the wrong forum?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at that site, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any embedded pdf, just more HTML stuff in frames. I read the HTML with the main text in it by (in Firefox) right-click, This Frame, View Frame Sorce. You can do that with the bars at the top and bottom as well. It appears to reload everything when you "open frame in new window."

I didn't look too closely, these might be nested frames. I've never heard of that and don't know if nested frames is possible, but I only know enough about websites to be dangerous. I've never made a website with frames (just text, pics and links, none of that fancy stuff), and I'm "old" enough in web-time to remember when frames were newish and there was a "no frames" protest.

And then there's websites coded completely by hand using only the finest ASCII and HTML in Notepad. I dunno why they do that. Real Men Use Edlin.

I think website discussions might belong in blogging, but I'm also thinking the blogging forum might should be called "blogging and websites" since there's a bit of overlap between the two. But of course some mod will have the final say.

Molfitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Ben,

I know about the frames, it's the embedded pdf file that I want to know how to do. As I said, I think, after studying the source and file names, that the on-click link redirects to a file that ultimately lets you view the pdf, if you have the viewer. Redirect is a good idea, but I'm not doing it correctly.

Anyone else?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I don't think it's an embedded PDF file (and don't know why you'd think it is? Acrobat Reader doesn't start).

When I right-click on the page and view source, the text in that scrolling panel is viewable among the various style commands. Style sheet code is visible at the top of the source and calls... um... hang on... yeah, this .css file,
http://word.mvps.org/StyleSheets/ArticleStyles.css

From its complexity I'd guess it was generated rather than hand-crafted.

The question I'd be asking myself is, do I want to spend hours trying to figure this out because it looks cute, or do I just want a web page that does the biz? Maybe built using one of the dozens of free templates available from most ISPs?

-Derek

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Hey, everyone, Happy New Year!!

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I'm sure you'll redirect me if I'm wrong.

Two questions:

1. How did they do that? I'm trying to figure out how a particular Web page was created. I've figured out the Header and the Footer but the center frame seems to be an embedded pdf. The link to that frame is a "redirect" I believe, probably checking to see if the computer has Adobe Reader.
How do we embed a pdf? How do we create a link to the pdf file so that it is embedded. I like the look of the pdf embedded without all the tool bars, etc that surround a linked pdf file. I've searched for the answer but nothing I've tried will work.
Here's the link to the web page using the embedded pdf:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

2. I'm designing my own Writer/Editor Web site. Anyone want to give their opinion of it....or am I in the wrong forum?

1. That's not a pdf...that's a very fancy use of tables...to make the web look like you're in 1995. :D

If you right click on page you'll see a frame selection, hover over that and you can see the frame source.

2. The color you've chosen for your font is very hard to read on that purple.

Frames are very user unfriendly. The header is too large and pushes the page too far down. It's a good start, but you might want to look at some free templates available on the web and see how they're done.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Thanks Ben,

I know about the frames, it's the embedded pdf file that I want to know how to do. As I said, I think, after studying the source and file names, that the on-click link redirects to a file that ultimately lets you view the pdf, if you have the viewer. Redirect is a good idea, but I'm not doing it correctly.

Anyone else?

In order to create a link to a pdf...which is all they've done:

Code:
<a href="http://www.mywebsitehere.com/nameofpdf.pdf">The text you want the person to click on</a>

Then you upload the pdf to your site.

Molfitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, dpaterso and Tirjasdyn ,

You're right, I'm putzing around with this too long. I'm always trying to learn the way things work, instead of just getting the job done: Curiosity Kill the Cat...

BTW: I did copy the template from a web designer, who's site I really liked, including the odd colored letters. I bet the designer's site was built back in the 90s.

I'll use a more modern template, looking like everyone else will look more professional.

I know how to link a pdf. file and have done so. I just wanted the file to come up without the Acrobat Reader tool bars. FYI: What I've learned recently is I need Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional software to create a pdf file without the Reader tool bars. Oh, well...Satisfaction Brought Her Back.

Thanks for your time.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
Link doesn't work for me... is the site down right now?
It might be PHP... gotta wait to see when it loads.

You can do some cool stuff with PHP..most of my websites are in it.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I know how to link a pdf. file and have done so. I just wanted the file to come up without the Acrobat Reader tool bars. FYI: What I've learned recently is I need Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional software to create a pdf file without the Reader tool bars. Oh, well...Satisfaction Brought Her Back.

Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately you can't force this. The user has to have Adobe installed as a plug in to the browser you're using. All you can do is link to it.

If they dont' have it or don't have a browser that has a plugin then there is nothing you can do it about it.