Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about New Years?

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Here I sit, fireworks going off outside, and I'm writing my WIP like I do every night.

I know most writers are introverts like me, but is it actually unhealthy to not give a crap about the new year?

WTF are people so excited about?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's just an excuse to getting falling down drunk and stupid. I'll be sleeping, I'm boring

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
but then, as a writer, one who dreams and creates fantasies, I'd think you would understand that a New Year offers dreams of a better tomorrow, it offers hope to a better day. Gives people something to look forward to as they divest themselves of the past and look to the future.

Reaction score
I also see it as an excuse to get falling-down drunk; something which doesn't appeal to me any more.

I object to Christmas on every level possible but Hogmanay doesn't bother me as much. I can take it or leave it. Mostly leave it.

I always feel hope at this time of year. I make lists, resolutions, feel uplifted almost and slightly nostalgic. But I never go out and get drunk and make a fool of myself simply because, "Hey! It's New Year's Eve!"

I live in Scotland. As if we need an excuse to get bladdered.

Does it make me anti-social? Some would say so. But I feel more alone in a crowd than I do on my own. For the same reason I do normal 'social' things on my own - shopping, going to the cinema, what have you.

So I avoid the celebrations as a way of not feeling so alone. If that makes sense. I'm a bit spaced-out just now actually; stresses and everyday living and noisy neighbours.

Will keep an eye on this thread; should be interesting.

miles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
but then, as a writer, one who dreams and creates fantasies, I'd think you would understand that a New Year offers dreams of a better tomorrow, it offers hope to a better day. Gives people something to look forward to as they divest themselves of the past and look to the future.

Na. I write dark stuff.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Celebrations and traditions play a big role in most people's lives. Sure, sometimes people use NYE as an excuse to get drunk -- but people also gather with their friends to reinforce relationships and community, make resolutions that might be futile but at least prompt some reflection and take a look back to put more recent events in a broader perspective.

Reaction score
I think that's why I prefer Hogmanay to Christmas. Christmas is a load of Christ-free, Pagan, commercial, pseudo-loving crap (in my view) whereas New Year's is more personal. Or can be.

*still considering the subject*

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here I sit, fireworks going off outside, and I'm writing my WIP like I do every night.

I know most writers are introverts like me, but is it actually unhealthy to not give a crap about the new year?

I don't think not wanting to go out of the house and avoiding the boozed-up, overly-celebratory idiots on the road is introverted, honestly. My family, as a rule, are very extroverted--but we all stay home or party at a friend's house where we can all crash and burn when it gets to that point and not risk the insanity.

I only give a crap about the new year because I've got to start writing different numbers at a particular time and I get the first day of it off work with pay. Other than that, it's not that much different than any other paid time off for me. But, then, I practice gift-giving and enjoying friends throughout the year, so it's just another day to me.

The ONE exception is the small tradition I started with my kids when they were little. Before ex & I would go off to join friends for an extended D&D game or whatever, we'd take the kids to a movie of THEIR CHOICE (with popcorn and soda) before dropping them off at grandparents/aunt's place. When my kid(s) are available, we still do this (though usually on the day-off now that they're grown). Normally, I don't treat the kid(s) if we go to the movies.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

Sadly, yes. You are. It is not unhealthy, however; it just makes you special.
:)

miles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
Sadly, yes. You are. It is not unhealthy, however; it just makes you special.
:)

Up until a few years ago, I would try very hard to enjoy going out with friends and celebrating holidays. Finally I gave up and moved to an island.

Luckily, I found a girl who's very much like me.

It's New Years night. She's at her place and I'm at mine. There was never any discussion about actually going out.

But when I started hearing strange noises outside, I thought, WTF is going on?

It took a few minutes to realize it's midnight, New Years Eve.

Then I started thinking something must be wrong with me (other than the stuff I know about).

Reaction score
Who cares if others think you're weird? Weird is a matter of opinion. As long as you're happy and you're not hurting anyone.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's the night for amateur drunks to go out and tie one on. But, New Year's Eve is also about hope. If you're in a crappy personal situation, it's a metaphor for the hope that the crap has also ended and good stuff is coming your way. Hope is the only thing that keeps one slogging through the shit that life can hand you. :)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap whether or not other people give a crap about New Years?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Am not much into any type of hollidays. New Years Eve is only given a few moments thought.....must remember to write a new date.

What is past is past and I can only live one day at a time. I make very few plans for the new year. (I check the obits to make sure I am not yet dead.)

I am not sad or gleefull with the turning of the calendar. Man....I sound very boring......wonders off.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Grr and I always stay in. If I really need to get rip-roaring drunk for some reason, which I won't, I'd much rather do it at home. We usually pick a series of movies we haven't seen yet or some other kind of movie theme and watch movies and eat. Then enjoy the day off. I used to go out, but I'm too old to end up crashed out on someone's floor now. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I believe in the 16th century, the new year was celebrated in March.
Before 1751 the Julian calendar had new years day on the 25th March. Makes sense to me (for Northern climes that is) with spring happening, new growth, birth of animals and birds. It doesn't seem like a new year in mid-winter. Or mid summer here. Another day of 90 degree temperatures was not refreshing.

brad_b

Knight Errant
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in my mind... it echoes in here ...
New Year's is a time for reflection on the old and new. I'll spend it as I always do, here at the castle and as far away from the crazies as possible. It's a time for new beginnings, but then every day can be that way, since every day is new. New Years does have the distinction of starting a new calendar year which gives it something a little special. This year is different because I joined here, the first writer's group that has all the stuff that's at AW, so already the year will be starting on a positive note. Thanks to you all who make wandering the halls here fun and thought-provoking.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score

People actually think the new year will be better. ;)

I sit here, hours from ending another year, and I am not too thrilled either.

I can't help but think of the NY Eve's past that sucked. The people I rang in the new year with, the circumstances, the everything, and there was nothing New about it. Nothing genuine. Nothing meaningful. Just booze. Lots of booze.

So I wonder, totally unaware of what the S.O. has planned for us, what my night will bring.