PDA

View Full Version : Do you subscribe to any literary magazines?

Susan Breen
12-31-2008, 09:22 PM
There's an interesting thread elsewhere on this board on the usefulness of writing short stories, which made me realize that I did subscribe to Glimmer Train and S'outhwester, but I've let them lapse and I should re-subscribe. It's the cost of buying one book, I think, and it's probably a worthwhile investment. Anyone here to subscribe to any?

kuwisdelu
12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I get The New Yorker.

Not that I think they'd like any of my stories...

Bubastes
12-31-2008, 09:38 PM
I subscribe to Glimmer Train and One Story. I really like One Story's format: a single short story every three weeks. I always have one or two in my purse.

jmascia
01-01-2009, 01:10 AM
I get Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine.

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I don't subscribe but I buy Writing Magazine whenever I see it. Maybe not literary in that it doesn't have stories, but it's for writers. Duh.

CaroGirl
01-01-2009, 01:57 AM
For Christmas I got a subscription to Quill and Quire, a magazine about the Canadian book and publishing industry. ~ Canada's magazine of book news and reviews.

I'm looking forward to getting my first copy!!

OctoberRain
01-01-2009, 02:28 AM
A friend bought me a subscription to Poets & Writers magazine for my birthday. They usually have one or two good articles - the most recent had a round-table interview with 4 (or 5?) big name agents and what they look for in a manuscript - and lots of info about writing contests, retreats, MFA programs, and publishers looking for submissions.

Polenth
01-01-2009, 03:52 AM
No, though I do buy short story magazines. I tend to get single issues of different magazines, rather than subscribing to one. That also means some money goes to the free ezines who survive on donations.

jessicaorr
01-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I subscribe to The Bellingham Review, McSweeney's and Isotope. I'm considering subscribing to Glimmer Train as well.

I love short stories. They're a busy mom's best friend :)

scarletpeaches
01-01-2009, 05:09 AM
No, that's Valium.

jessicaorr
01-01-2009, 05:22 AM
No, that's Valium.

LOL, I think Kelly Link's short stories are Valium in book form. Two stories from Magic for Beginners and the day melts away like snow in July.

NicoleMD
01-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Doorways Magazine, and Bust Down the Door and Eat All the Chickens. I ordered some back issues of Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine and have never laughed so hard at a short story before.

It's always nice to get something in the mail besides bills.

Nicole

Angelinity
01-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Glimmer Train and several ezines.

Pragmatic_Dreamer
01-01-2009, 09:39 AM
LOL! I barely make ends meet. Can't afford a subscription. I might in 2010. Happy new year AW.

Susan Breen
01-01-2009, 09:40 AM
One Story is great. And I love the way you can carry it around.

Tanya Egan Gibson
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I subscribe to The Missouri Review, Ploughshares, McSweeney's, Zoetrope, ZYZZYVA, Tin House, The Normal School, and Slice.

willietheshakes
01-02-2009, 01:19 AM
For Christmas I got a subscription to Quill and Quire, a magazine about the Canadian book and publishing industry. ~ Canada's magazine of book news and reviews.

I'm looking forward to getting my first copy!!

Wow, who did you piss off? :)

Nah, I like Quill. Pretty much have to, though, don't I?
(Stay tuned for an interesting piece of AW synergy in the next Books for Young Readers section...)

To answer the original question, let's see -- I get Q&Q and the Malahat at home. I get Granta professionally. And in any given period, I pick up the Paris Review, the New Yorker, McSweeneys, The Believer, F&SF...