Do you subscribe to any literary magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
There's an interesting thread elsewhere on this board on the usefulness of writing short stories, which made me realize that I did subscribe to Glimmer Train and S'outhwester, but I've let them lapse and I should re-subscribe. It's the cost of buying one book, I think, and it's probably a worthwhile investment. Anyone here to subscribe to any?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I subscribe to Glimmer Train and One Story. I really like One Story's format: a single short story every three weeks. I always have one or two in my purse.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
I get Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine.

Reaction score
I don't subscribe but I buy Writing Magazine whenever I see it. Maybe not literary in that it doesn't have stories, but it's for writers. Duh.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
For Christmas I got a subscription to Quill and Quire, a magazine about the Canadian book and publishing industry. ~ Canada's magazine of book news and reviews.

I'm looking forward to getting my first copy!!

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
A friend bought me a subscription to Poets & Writers magazine for my birthday. They usually have one or two good articles - the most recent had a round-table interview with 4 (or 5?) big name agents and what they look for in a manuscript - and lots of info about writing contests, retreats, MFA programs, and publishers looking for submissions.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
No, though I do buy short story magazines. I tend to get single issues of different magazines, rather than subscribing to one. That also means some money goes to the free ezines who survive on donations.

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I subscribe to The Bellingham Review, McSweeney's and Isotope. I'm considering subscribing to Glimmer Train as well.

I love short stories. They're a busy mom's best friend :)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy & Science Fiction, Doorways Magazine, and Bust Down the Door and Eat All the Chickens. I ordered some back issues of Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine and have never laughed so hard at a short story before.

It's always nice to get something in the mail besides bills.

Nicole

Last edited:

Pragmatic_Dreamer

Talks fast when excited
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I barely make ends meet. Can't afford a subscription. I might in 2010. Happy new year AW.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
For Christmas I got a subscription to Quill and Quire, a magazine about the Canadian book and publishing industry. ~ Canada's magazine of book news and reviews.

I'm looking forward to getting my first copy!!

Wow, who did you piss off? :)

Nah, I like Quill. Pretty much have to, though, don't I?
(Stay tuned for an interesting piece of AW synergy in the next Books for Young Readers section...)

To answer the original question, let's see -- I get Q&Q and the Malahat at home. I get Granta professionally. And in any given period, I pick up the Paris Review, the New Yorker, McSweeneys, The Believer, F&SF...

Status
Not open for further replies.