PDA

View Full Version : It will be settled right here, RIGHT NOW!

JoeEkaitis
05-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Mustard on the hot dog or mustard on the bun?

Richard
05-17-2005, 05:01 PM
No mustard, ever. Just the bun, and also lettuce.

mommie4a
05-17-2005, 05:01 PM
No mustard?

gogoshire
05-17-2005, 06:00 PM
I am so flabbergasted to see that there is any question about this. Of course the condiments go right on the meat. I suppose there are differing opinions when it comes to hamburgs, too?

maestrowork
05-17-2005, 06:16 PM
No mustard either. Can't stand that stuff.

But ketchup on hot dog AND the bun.

And sometimes mayonnaise.

gogoshire
05-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Maestro,

Mayonnaise? Is that a regional thing or do you just run with the wrong crowd?

Liam Jackson
05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Hamburgers

maestrowork
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Mayonnaise. I'm just weird. But it really does taste good. Try it.

Mayonnaise is an European thing, by the way. They put mayonnaise on fries instead of ketchup... now that is weird. I can't do that.

gogoshire
05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Since you brought up fries. . .

I lived in Europe for a while, and I did see folks putting mayo on their pomme fritte. Vinegar, too. I don't care for either, but tartar sauce on fries is da bomb.

Maureen/Is it time for lunch yet?

Fractured_Chaos
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Mustard on the hot dog or mustard on the bun?

Yes.

aspier
05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
No meat thanks! Junk it out! Dijon mustard plse!

Nivvie
05-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I'll have a vegan dog and ketchup thanks.

And mustard is just wrong, so wrong.

Lucky Penny
05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
my dogs also go mustard-free...just ketchup and sometimes relish (both on the meat)

as for the mayo....I lived in Europe for 17 years, but never could make myself like the idea of mayo on pommes! ugh!

aspier
05-17-2005, 08:07 PM
I'll have a vegan dog and ketchup thanks.

And mustard is just wrong, so wrong.

Oh what a relief! You too! My god Nivvie, the things we could do together when we, say shedule a secure place and time ... (after closing time then we can stay out all night etc such and so on!)! No meat! Just the real ting! Wow! Yummy!

Me and you! (Leave the dog home!Yessss!)

aspier
05-17-2005, 08:11 PM
my dogs also go mustard-free...just ketchup and sometimes relish (both on the meat)

as for the mayo....I lived in Europe for 17 years, but never could make myself like the idea of mayo on pommes! ugh!

Yes, I read you! But re mayonaise, why not try this at home. Cook ordinary potatoes (peeled) then when cooked, toss the water off and potatoes in a bowl. Top lavishly mayonaise on it and then a short time in the oven! You'll love it! There's a difference betwee cold and hot mayonaise, see!

You won't even miss the dog!

robeiae
05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
But ketchup on hot dog AND the bun.

Ketchup!!! On a hot dog!!! Philistine...

Anyway, the mustard really goes on the bun and dog simultaneously...right along the line where the hot dog is against the bun, on one side only. Then, relish and onions on the top. That's just the way it is...there are no other options.

Rob

Fractured_Chaos
05-17-2005, 09:03 PM

THANK YOU!

gogoshire
05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
I understand that people don't like ketchup on hotdogs - tastes are apt to vary, thank God! But I get so confused when people freak about ketchup on a hot dog. My parents think it's unnatural, akin to ketchup on ice cream (I'm guessing we're all in agreement on that one).

Ketchup and mustard are the bbq condiments; burgers and dogs are the bbq foods (of course, ribs and chicken are bbq foods, too, but we're in the realm of "bunned" foods, here).

robeiae
05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Would you put ketchup on bologna...how about on a ham sandwich? Same principle for a hot dog, cause it's made from the same thing (don't give me that "all beef" nonsense, that's not a real weiner!).

Rob

JenNipps
05-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Mustard on a hot dog is just gross. lol. A little bit of ketchup and relish. That's good stuff.

And about having ketchup with baloney... Been there, done that. It's about the same as a flat wiener. lol.

maestrowork
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Mustard on anything is gross.

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't eat hot dogs, ketchup OR buns.

Mustard is tasty though.

brokenfingers
05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmmmm, where I come from - we call 'em Franks (frankfurters) and I have 'em with good spicy mustard and saurkraut.

Believe me - if you ever have a NY frank - you'll never eat a hot dog again...

aspier
05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Dijon Mustart but junk out the meat! So ok, its decided!

JoeEkaitis
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Hmmmm, where I come from - we call 'em Franks (frankfurters) and I have 'em with good spicy mustard and saurkraut.

Believe me - if you ever have a NY frank - you'll never eat a hot dog again...

You ARE talking about Boar's Head Natural Casing Beef Franks, aren't you? :)

Oh, that we could buy them on the west coast. . . . ::sigh::

thistle
05-18-2005, 12:28 AM
I wish I could check "neither." I like a nice puddle of ketchup and mustard, swirled, but not mixed. Then I dip my hot dog in the puddle. That way, my hands don't get full of condiments.

I did the mayo thing back when I was an exchange student. It was OK, but I like good ol' ketchup and spicy brown mustard.

brokenfingers
05-18-2005, 12:41 AM
You ARE talking about Boar's Head Natural Casing Beef Franks, aren't you? :)

Oh, that we could buy them on the west coast. . . . ::sigh::

Ah! A civilized soul! Good day to you, Joe!

You might be able to find 'em in a specialty food store. Or try Nathan's Franks if you can't get Boar's Head. I believe some supermarket chains carry them now.

Brokenfingers - carnivore and proud...

Celeste
05-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Mmm.....Gotta' love mustard!

There's a mustard made by...can't remember the name, but it's got tabasco in it. It's excellent!

paprikapink
05-18-2005, 03:15 AM
Mustard is a meat/protein kinda condiment and ketchup is a starchy type condiment (buns and fries, for instance). Trouble is, put the mustard on the dog and then when you bite, all the mustard takes advantage of that long opening on the bun to escape. Easy fix: Put the mustard on the dog, spin the dog in the bun so the mustard spreads all over. Viola!

When I was in France, we put mustard on our pomme frites. I like the mustard/ketchup puddle trick too.

Bear in mind, there's mustard and there's mustard. "French's" is to mustard as Taco Bell is to mexican food. Sure, it's good if you're used to it, but it's not even trying to be the real thing.

In Berkeley, and perhaps other college towns too, there is Top Dog. That's where you get yer proper franks in CA.

Joe, it's so brave of you to confront these contentious critical issues.

-pkpk

Celeste
05-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Okay! That's it! I'm going to A&W! I'm craving a footlong with x-tra chili, cheese, mustard & onion!

sharon
05-18-2005, 03:24 AM

Anyway, the mustard really goes on the bun and dog simultaneously...right along the line where the hot dog is against the bun, on one side only. Then, relish and onions on the top. That's just the way it is...there are no other options.

Rob

I totally agree... except, relish goes on the other side of the weiner and, I sometimes switch up raw onions for fried. These must go on top.

mdin
05-18-2005, 03:47 AM
The only thing I put mustard on is ham. Otherwise, yech.

I like my hotdogs with ketchup and catsup and that's it. I also hate it when they grill the bun. I do like it when the hotdog is grilled and is all freaky looking with boils and valleys and burnt plains.

robeiae
05-18-2005, 03:50 AM
I totally agree... except, relish goes on the other side of the weiner and, I sometimes switch up raw onions for fried. These must go on top.

Well, sure if you are gonna use fried onions...

Rob

Liam Jackson
05-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Now, mustard on a hot Philly pretzel...I can make a meal outta those things.
Dijon on a Cubano sandwich is killer, too.

I've got a recipe for brown mustard chili, too. Thats the super-sonic stuff we fed my brother just before I put the doe urine in his mustache. Wo0t! Like Mt. St Helen's and the fourth of July all at once.

poetinahat
05-19-2005, 03:26 AM
Mustard on hot dog.

Better still, tomato sauce (you call it "ketchup") on a meat pie. A revelation to a transplanted American -- perfect food at the rugby or the cricket.

Malt vinegar on the hot chips, and Bob's your uncle.

trumancoyote
05-19-2005, 04:00 AM
Mustard is excellent on toasted garlic bagels.

And for the record: it goes on the meat, not the bun -- and mind you: in little zig-zag patterns. It's necessary.

Ketchup on hotdogs is a bastardization of everything I've ever known.

ChunkyC
05-19-2005, 04:44 AM
I understand that people don't like ketchup on hotdogs - tastes are apt to vary, thank God! But I get so confused when people freak about ketchup on a hot dog. My parents think it's unnatural, akin to ketchup on ice cream (I'm guessing we're all in agreement on that one).
What's wrong with ketchup on ice cream? Ketchup is the nectar of the gods. Ketchup sandwiches were a staple at my house when I was a kid. Ketchup on spaghetti, ketchup on mashed potatoes -- heck, we kept Heinz in business.

As for hot dogs: bun lightly toasted and buttered. Ketchup (of course!) in a wavy line along the length over a bed of sweet relish, plus a slice of mild cheddar cut in half with one strip down each side of the dog. Back into the toaster oven for a quick softening of the cheese, then ...

...shove the entire thing in your mouth at once.

It's the only way. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

trumancoyote
05-19-2005, 04:48 AM
You're a sick man, Chunky -- but that cheese idea sounds pretty damn delicious.

Celeste
05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Mustard is excellent on toasted garlic bagels.

That actually sounds pretty good, Zach!

katiemac
05-19-2005, 08:38 AM
They put mayonnaise on fries instead of ketchup... now that is weird. I can't do that.

I've got a friend who mixes mayonnaise and ketchup, and dips her fries in that. I also have a cousin who dips his fries in chocolate milkshakes, but whatever floats your boat.

No ketchup OR mustard on hot dogs. Plain.

Ranch dressing on hamburgers.

And the existence of mustard is purely for baked pretzels at ball games.

mdin
05-19-2005, 08:50 AM
I also have a cousin who dips his fries in chocolate milkshakes.

I'll do that. I also love fries with sweet and sour sauce. :yummy:

DreamWeaver
05-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Anyway, the mustard really goes on the bun and dog simultaneously...right along the line where the hot dog is against the bun, on one side only. Finally, someone got it right! Then the relish on top of the mustard. Ketchup goes in the same position on the other side of the hot dog. The mustard and ketchup must not touch, of course.

Come on, why would the deity have given the bun two sides if you weren't supposed to use both mustard and ketchup? :D

Kris

DreamWeaver
05-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Okay! That's it! I'm going to A&W! I'm craving a footlong with x-tra chili, cheese, mustard & onion!DQ in Atlanta used to make a Suicide Dog: cheese, chili, sauerkraut, and coleslaw. Would almost give Ed's hamdog a run for the money.

Kris

robeiae
05-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I've got a friend who mixes mayonnaise and ketchup, and dips her fries in that.

Isn't that BK's old "secret sauce"? Toss some relish in and you've got Thousand Island Dressing...

Rob

ChunkyC
05-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Strange how I got attracted to this thread, considering I'm trying to lose weight....

I came across a little place in Windsor Newfoundland back in the 1970s that served nothing but french fries with just about any topping you could think of. Ketchup, mustard, relish, baked beans, diced hot dogs, ground beef, onions, gravy, sauerkraut... you name it, they had it. It was like the Baskin Robbins of condiments. Naturally, I had mine 'all dressed.'

I seem to remember spending a lot of time in the bathroom that week.

Fractured_Chaos
05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to dip her french fries in her chocolate shake.

I dunno what it is, but there is just something about the combination of cold, smooth creamy chocolate with hot, crispy salty fries.

*drools* :}~~~~~~

JoeEkaitis
05-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes to dip her french fries in her chocolate shake.

I dunno what it is, but there is just something about the combination of cold, smooth creamy chocolate with hot, crispy salty fries.

And for a quick salty chocolate fix, there's always chocolate-covered pretzels. DARK chocolate, of course. :)

Fractured_Chaos
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
And for a quick salty chocolate fix, there's always chocolate-covered pretzels. DARK chocolate, of course. :)

Without question! :D

ChunkyC
05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a feeling we're gonna see some novels in the next few years where the characters have some rather unusual culinary quirks. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeshanu
05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
What an absolutely useless question. A frivolous waste of time, if you ask me!
(Or even if you don't...

Of course the mustard goes directly on the meat. Honey mustard, if they have it.

Now get back to writing while I go out for a hot dog...

Paint
05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
After we moved across country, we would BEG people to bring Emos hot dogs from Illinois to us in a cooler. What do you put on hot dogs? Chilli! and onions. Has anybody tried hot dogs with a fat stream of spray cheese on top? Yum! 1,000 calories to a bite! Grilled hot dogs on Memorial Day...homemade fries. I'm ready!

rich
05-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I like a Nathan's. I got a big Nathan's some three blocks from me. My first Nathan's was the original Nathan's in Coney Island. I prefer mustard directly on the dog, and raw chopped onions on top. I also prefer their fries--as thick as a babes arm. But that's another story.

Celeste
05-21-2005, 12:59 AM

Dipping fries in tarter sauce is yummy too! And tabasco! But I love tabasco on just about everything. Lol...

Originally posted by Dreamweaver

DQ in Atlanta used to make a Suicide Dog: cheese, chili, sauerkraut, and coleslaw.

Mmm.... That does sound good!

robeiae
06-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I noticed that my son (who's four) prefers ketchup on his hotdog; in fact, he doesn't like mustard at all.

Working theory: People who put ketchup on hotdogs have never grown up.
Possible test: How does Michael Jackson take his hotdogs?

Rob :)

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
06-29-2005, 01:03 AM
French Mustard - fantastic stuff - goes right on the meat.

English Mustard - horrid. Never ever and never again.

MadScientistMatt
06-29-2005, 01:14 AM
One key question was left out from the poll. Is the mustard in a squeeze bottle, or must it be spread with a knife?

On second thought, any mustard destined for a hot dog always comes in a squeeze bottle.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
06-29-2005, 01:24 AM
Matt, you have clearly never found yourself making packed lunches in an old people's home.