PDA

View Full Version : Offers of Representation...

kathleen_grant
12-31-2008, 05:56 AM
Has anyone ever received offers of representation after an agent read only their partial and synopsis?

Is that even possible? :P

jvc
12-31-2008, 06:01 AM
If it's for a fiction book, then I'd say it would be strane for an agent to offer representation after only seeing the partial and synopsis. Did it happen to you?

kathleen_grant
12-31-2008, 06:05 AM
No, it didn't happen to me, but I've seen a few people on here apparently claiming so... I just wanted to confirm.

Yeah, I write fiction.

ChaosTitan
12-31-2008, 06:09 AM
I've heard of it happening, but it's extremely rare--it's likely these authors have some track record of sales, whether in short fiction or small presses, something that proves they can write. Just because an author has written a hundred awesome pages, that doesn't mean they have any clue how to end the book. Offering without reading the entire manuscript could lead to a lot of unnecessary heartache later, for both agent and author.

jvc
12-31-2008, 06:11 AM
I've heard of it happening, but it's extremely rare--it's likely these authors have some track record of sales, whether in short fiction or small presses, something that proves they can write. Just because an author has written a hundred awesome pages, that doesn't mean they have any clue how to end the book. Offering without reading the entire manuscript could lead to a lot of unnecessary heartache later, for both agent and author.
Kelly is in my mind, that's pretty much exactly what I was gonna say :D

ChaosTitan
12-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Kelly is in my mind,

And it is gross in here, let me tell ya. ::runs for the shower::

jvc
12-31-2008, 06:19 AM
And it is gross in here, let me tell ya. ::runs for the shower::
So you really are in my mind then :D

kathleen_grant
12-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! :)

Kasey Mackenzie
12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
I actually received two offers of representation from agents who had not quite finished reading the manuscript before offering, but they had definitely read a lot more than the first three chapters. They both made comments that demonstrated they definitely read most of the book before they offered.

That said, I don't think it's common for agents to offer on fiction on just the partial. It's definitely more of an exception than the rule.