William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
real science or scare tactics to push through an agenda?

Need another reason to add "Quit Smoking" to your New Year's resolutions list? How about the fact that even if you choose to smoke outside of your home or only smoke in your home when your children are not there – thinking that you're keeping them away from second-hand smoke – you're still exposing them to toxins? In the January issue of Pediatrics, researchers at MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) and colleagues across the country describe how tobacco smoke contamination lingers even after a cigarette is extinguished – a phenomenon they define as "third-hand" smoke.

Small children are especially susceptible to third-hand smoke exposure because they can inhale near, crawl and play on, or touch and mouth contaminated surfaces. Third-hand smoke can remain indoors even long after the smoking has stopped. Similar to low-level lead exposure, low levels of tobacco particulates have been associated with cognitive deficits among children, and the higher the exposure level, the lower the reading score. These findings underscore the possibility that even extremely low levels of these compounds may be neurotoxic and, according to the researchers, justify restricting all smoking in indoor areas inhabited by children.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081229105037.htm

i call dibs on coining "fourth-hand smoke": a kid who has been in a swelling where a cigarette was once smoked goes to the park and plays a game of tag with other kids, setting off a daisy chain of toxicity that makes cherobyl look like a common cold.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure the toxins in people's perfumes (which contain carcinogens, btw) are far worse than this shit.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. So if I have my cigar outside, that ISN'T keeping 2nd hand smoke away from my kids?

Explain that one. Please. Really. Because I want to fucking know how that is possible.

It's the toxins. Those pesky toxins.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Wait. So if I have my cigar outside, that ISN'T keeping 2nd hand smoke away from my kids?

Explain that one. Please. Really. Because I want to fucking know how that is possible.

If you smoke outside, you're slowly killing all the children of Minnesota.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Residue on the dirt? I have no idea, Ed. Seriously. I smoke outside because I'm a rare book dealer and I love my rare books a hell of a lot more than I love my cigarettes. HOWEVER, I find it hard to buy into a theory that smoking outside is lowering a kid's reading score.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
If you smoke outside, you're slowly killing all the children of Minnesota.

:roll:

Well isn't that Volcano going to erupt and do that soon anyway?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Whereas my thought is that if it DOESN'T work--why should people keep going outside and freeze?

Isn't science and research just marvy?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
For me? My kids didn't need to see me smoke, be around me when I smoked, or suffer in the backseat while my smoke blew back with the heat from the vents. That being said, now that they are grown, they can do as they please. I smoke outside to preserve rare books.

And also to save on my febreze bills. That crap is expensive.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
While I take umbrage with the idea of 'third hand smoke', I can understand the passing of toxins. Have you ever left the home of someone who smoked, even if they didn't do it while you were there? You reek like smoke. The scent must be make of something, so I'm guessing you're carrying particulates with you.

As far as that teensy bit doing damage? I can't believe that.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
While I take umbrage with the idea of 'third hand smoke', I can understand the passing of toxins. Have you ever left the home of someone who smoked, even if they didn't do it while you were there? You reek like smoke. The scent must be make of something, so I'm guessing you're carrying particulates with you.

But the story suggested this third hand smoke is even present when you SMOKE OUTSIDE.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score

Then the same could/should be said of barbecues, bon fires, camp fires, etc.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, but you're not lighting up a barbecue 10 times a day or anything.

Well, I mean we do, but we're Texans. The rest of the country, though...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That smoke doesn't carry the residue of things like cyanide, for example.

But yes, smoke from anything degrades air quality and affects sufferers of asthma, heart disease, etc. That's why many cities have no burn days where you can't use your fireplace or wood stove when the air quality falls below a certain level.