Suspicious Virus Warning found in Comedy Cabaret thread

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Hmm Different. Just now, I received a pop up virus threat, when I went into QuickWit's last post in the Comedy Cabaret Thread. It won't let me clean or delete the file, it keeps saying there is an error. I wonder what has bought that on?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I can't see anything, and I've read up to the latest, post #24068

quickWit's posts on the last page, #24055 #24057 #24064 don't contain any offsite links.

I've reported this to Tech Help moderators to check out.

Added for easy ref:

The Comedy Cabaret
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54928

-Derek

Last edited:

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I can't see anything, and I've read up to the latest, post #24068

quickWit's posts on the last page, #24055 #24057 #24064 don't contain any offsite links.

-Derek

Considering I can't clean or delete it, I have just left it alone. Not sure what happened, as I've never really received anything like that before especially in a post.

Thanks for checking dpaterso.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
There doesn't appear to be anything malicious in QuickWit's post itself. It's possible one of the banners at the top or bottom of the page tried to do something it shouldn't have.

Can you tell me what the error message says, or post a screenshot of it? Did it only happen the one time or does it happen every time you load that page?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
In all sincerity, thank you good and serious folks for your vigilance here, protecting our ability to go completely nuts in those other threads. I appreciate your protection immensely!

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
In all sincerity, thank you good and serious folks for your vigilance here, protecting our ability to go completely nuts in those other threads. I appreciate your protection immensely!

well said.
and agree completely! thank you.

also, in case you are asking (and i think you are) i would vote "yes" to ban quickwit just to be safe. :D

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
There doesn't appear to be anything malicious in QuickWit's post itself. It's possible one of the banners at the top or bottom of the page tried to do something it shouldn't have.

Can you tell me what the error message says, or post a screenshot of it? Did it only happen the one time or does it happen every time you load that page?

Hello StoneTable,
I think you could be onto something there, about a banner doing something.

The message said, that a threat was detected and than it showed where it was located. I should have written the next bit down, but it said the type of trojan or virus it was related to. It did not however say the cause for it. I closed it, without doing anything as it was just hanging on my desktop. I couldn't clean it or delete it, as it said there was an error each time. I hope this helps in someway.

The page seems to load fine since then, and no trouble of anything neither.

I just went and searched for the file or the log that caused this, in ESET but can't find anything. The only mention of it, is on the front page where it says number of blocked attacks - 2. (These two - which happened today, I went back to QuickWit's page to see if it would do it again, and it did. In the end I discarded the threat, as the threat pop up wouldn't go away)

Deleted member 42

The banners are completely innocent, and generic HTML. I suspect it's not AW related.

I've edited the thread title, after checking with Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There is a really nasty piece of malware out there called WinProtect that installs itself, and inundates your display with an endless sequence of popups trying to convince you you have a virus and should buy their (useless) software to protect yourself. They want your credit card info. It is a major pain to get rid of, once you have it. Apparently it comes from Russia. If that's what you have, there is a free utility you can download to rid yourself of it, but it's by no means easy. You may need some professional assistance.

caw

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So that is what we had on hubby's computer. I think I finally got rid of it, but who knows. Didn't get any info from us.

MM

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
What installed protective software was responsible for the pop-up? Did it identify itself? It should have. If you don't know what is issuing a warning, you should not respond to it but try to find out more about it. If it is your installed antivirus software or firewall, don't just whack off the window -- take notes. Do that even more for any unknowns. Make screenshots too. Press the "print scr" key on your keyboard and then immediately paste into anything you know how to paste into, even Word (as much as I hate to see Word used to handle images, it is better than losing a screenshot) and save it.