Explain this to me please...

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching Oprah yesterday, something I rarely do, but the topic sucked me in- It was about puppy mills- Truly horrible things people do to animals- but that's not what I want explained.

Now I love animals, I have 2 dogs, 3 cats and 5 horses. My critters are part of my family. I spend more money and time on them than I probably do on myself. Mr. Dakota has always wanted an English Mastiff, so I tried to get one for him for Christmas. I don't have two grand to pay for a puppy( I think that's OUTRAGEOUS anyway) So I looked at shelters and striking out there, turned to rescues.

I found the perfect dog and inquired about obtaining him. I was speechless when during the phone interview I was told I would not be allowed to adopt this dog because I use invisable fencing. My Lab was kicked in the head by one of our horses when he was 11 months old and would still go after them if not for the fencing- we also live 400 feet off a busy road and this keeps them from straying and safe.

I was told I also was not a candidate because I did not have a fenced in yard- I live on fricking 100 acres of farm land-My dogs have a 180 foot perimeter allowed by their fencing in which to roam. I am NOT putting up a fence, give me a break.

I realize they are trying to look out for these animals wellfare and I applaud them for that, but come on! The Oprah show told of one puppy mill owner who walked down the kennels and shot 80 dogs so he would not have to take them to the vet for flea treatment and the law can't touch him-

HE could have adopted this dog according to their guidelines, but not me!
I think they are being ridiculous not allowing loving caring people the oppurtunity to give a needy animal a home for life - they need to consider the circumstances before denying ownership- we were going to go a breeder because I didn't know how else to obtain this breed - but my hubby said he would adopt from the spca though instead of going to a breeder- he just wants a big dog- he would love a mastiff, but he would rather not go this route( I was even considering a mixed breed from the same rescue but was again denied, and have my name in at shelters in case one turns up)

This made me angry, heck I'm still ticked off-

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I applaude rescues and their work. Two of my dogs are rescues, one from a shelter one from a pure breed rescue group. I do think sometime they can be a bit much. I know they have the best interest of the animal as their reason but sometimes they need to understand that their are exceptions.

Your case is a perfect example. If the rescue was local, I would have asked them to come and do an on-site visit. So they could have seen the size of your property.

Best of luck to you in your search and hurray for whichever dog you get, I know that will be one luck pup

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand your anger. I was looking into rescuing a purebred dog a few weeks ago and ran across some truly horrible stories of mistreatment and abuse that these animals suffer. My guess is they put that criteria in for a reason. You could ask them what the reason is, perhaps you are doing something which addresses that concern. Remember they know nothing about you and the last thing they want is to adopt the dog out into another bad situation.

And since your husband would prefer a mastiff, but just wants a big dog, check your local animal shelter and/or shelter rescue organization. You might find a mastiff mixed breed.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I worked in animal rescue for a long time, and my boyfriend is a veterinarian. There are reasons for those rules--good ones. I also understand that there are special circumstances, but most rescues are so overworked and underfunded that they don't bother making exceptions. And I can guarantee that a good 90% of rescue workers out there have horror stories about things that happened when they did make an exception. :( It's a sad fact, but people suck.

You could try talking to them about it (if you haven't already). As regdog suggested, you could see if they'll do a visit, or if they'll allow you to compensate in some way. You could offer veterinary references to show that you're a good pet owner.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the intent of the rules and I did ask them for an onsight visit, and offered to give them my vet's name and number as a reference- they were adament on the refusal- that was why I was so upset. Combine that with the fact that we (my husband and I,) finally decided it was time to get another dog after we had to have our beloved 14 year old 'Bear' put down last August- It was like a slap in the face- They told me I was "abusive" and that the use of electricity on an animal was considered cruel and unusual and tantemount to abuse and any vet who condoned the use of electric fences was not worth their time.

So in effect they were calling me an animal abuser and considered my vet one as well- I was appalled at their words and only now realize how upset I am. I Use the fence to keep my animals SAFE- they respect teir bounderies and other than the one shock they got when testing it, they have never tested it further. It is impractical for me to put up a fence and the dogs would have far less land at their disposal if I did.

I would never do anything to hurt my dogs.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
That's beyond moronic. Try another animal shelter. There are others. My neighbor rescued three small yappy dogs from a breeding center. The last one was a little female no bigger than a rabbit. She was five years old and had endured seven litters. She could barely walk and had no teeth --they had been pulled out. I told her, I know how hard birthing is. The poor dear was rescued because of Katrina and so that's her name.

Sorry about the problem. Sometimes those who seek to be safe wind up being pompous prigs about protocol. That kind of comment is unjust and unreasonable. Find another shelter, or report the volunteer's behavior to his/her supervisor.