• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Perpetual Plotting Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Currently I have the problem that I'm not inspired to write about anything in particular - I have some vague interests and some previously developed ideas, but nothing I feel passionate about.

Maybe this is a side-effect of having been blocked for years when it comes to thinking up a good plot, especially the ending, that I would feel eager to write. After a long time of not succeeding at developing a plot outline for most of my ideas, caring about ideas that are never going to become real seems painful and pointless. I'm not sure I actually like plot, or that I want to nail my characters down to some linear sequence of events after which I ought to be finished with those characters unless I wanted to write a sequel.

On the other hand, it might be a result of the fact that I don't feel like I have anything important to say. I don't mean that there isn't anything inside me that I want to say, I mean that there's no one I want to say it to, I've come over the years to feel like people in general are stupid and alien and I don't really want to communicate with them. No offense to the people reading this post. I used to have faith that somewhere out there I had soul-sisters and brothers that my writing would resonate with, but now I don't feel that way any more, I feel that I would have run into at least one on the internet if any existed. :( I also used to feel that creating fiction was sort of like a magic spell which would help make my life more like a good story, but I don't have faith in that any more either, I can no longer suspend my disbelief enough to imagine a plausible happy ending for myself.

Sorry for being depressing. Anyone have any thoughts about what I should do?

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
. :( I also used to feel that creating fiction was sort of like a magic spell which would help make my life more like a good story,
I don't believe in magic .I also don't believe anybody will knock on my door and give me a good life for free.It sounds like you need to go out in to the real word and discover for your self, that the five billion or so people that live on this planet have very similar problems.You know the cliché ,life is what you make it ,and if you do it right ,life can be amazing.One last thing, don't follow the crowed.best of luck

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Although I disliked your response when first reading it, I didn't have a specific response until this absolutely awful weekend crystallized my opinion.

I definitely DON'T want to 'go out in the real world'. The 'real world' is intolerably awful, and protest against it is the core motivation of my writing. My personal artistic philosophy is that fiction exists to point out the injustices of the universe, pain a picture of what a truly good existence might be like, allow us to pretend temporarily that all is as it should be, and distract us from the intolerability of reality.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
S&S, like kids and their imaginary friends, I invented an Imaginary Audience. It kinda works for me. Still have to push myself, but now there's someone rooting me on.

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time with most of my plots, but I keep writing anyway, and things do come together, often with unexpected twists I would have never thought of it I tried plotting. So I would say keep going... keep talking to your characters, watching them... and when they do something you like, write it down. :)

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
S&S, like kids and their imaginary friends, I invented an Imaginary Audience. It kinda works for me. Still have to push myself, but now there's someone rooting me on.
This is an interesting idea. The imaginary audience character would have to be based on oneself, I guess? Good exercise for figuring out what one really wants to write and read. I'm curious how much of a difference there is between the two - I don't think my ideal book to read is quite the same as what I would be happiest and most motivated to write. An interesting thing to ponder.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have a hard time with most of my plots, but I keep writing anyway, and things do come together, often with unexpected twists I would have never thought of it I tried plotting. So I would say keep going... keep talking to your characters, watching them... and when they do something you like, write it down. :)
That's very true, there's just no way to understand the whole story before having written any of it, even when starting with a plot outline it has to evolve during the writing process. But, I keep having this problem where I just have no freaking clue what should happen next or what ending I should be aiming for; or sometimes I write happily for 20 pages then look at what I've written and realize it was totally plot-free... x_X

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
My avatar isn't a porcupine because I'm warm, fuzzy, and care to be within touching distance of anyone... so I can totally understand frustrations with the world. I happen to hate everyone. The ones I hate least frequently are the people I bother to talk to.

Just because you start a story without a plot doesn't mean you can't develop the plot later. Sometiems I start with characters-- then I can go back and figure out what that neat scene is leading up to and what the conflict is. I find it enjoyable to pull the pieces of the plot together. Here's an excercise for you (stolen from someone, I forget who,) brainstorm twenty different endings/plots/conflicts. Really do the full twenty, no excuses and no worrying about good ideas. As you exercise your brain in plotting, you'll come up with new ideas. I usually only get to about 12 or 14 before I hit on a idea that REALLY works.

Also, if you're not finding any kindred spirits, it may be because you are closed to the possibility. Because you have concluded that all people are stupid, fickle, etc, are you really going to give anyone a chance? Plus, your dour attitude may turn off some who are not quite as far into the dark side. In my experience as a dark sider, there are few people who endure dark, bleak commentary and few who enjoy it. Finding them is hard. (I thank whatever gods there may be for my husband.)

Your listlessness in writing may be a reflection of your state of mind. You need to straighten yourself out. Depending on the type of person you are, writing may be the catalyst for change (good writing will cheer you up) or it may be the product (when you're cheered, your writing will go better.)

Now, you have to understand, if *I* can see hope in a situation, then it really must be there. I have some pretty dark colored glasses that help me to find the dark side of every situation. You want the doomandgloom report, I'm your porcupine.

Find purpose. Find something that makes you happy. And keep looking for a friend you can enjoy. [Insert sappy phrase about friendship]

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Here's an exercise for you (stolen from someone, I forget who,) brainstorm twenty different endings/plots/conflicts.
I was thinking about how to do this. I eventually decided that I wanted to examine the ideas I currently have in greater detail by breaking them up in a spreadsheet and seeing which were incompatible and which could work together. Then I'll brainstorm new stuff to add to that if necessary.

One small thing I want to correct, I don't usually give 'dark, bleak commentary', I'd really prefer to be an optimist and an idealist, and I love happily ever after endings. My problem is more that the lower my opinion of the real world gets, the harder it is for me to find stories that seem realistic and wise yet happy enough to be worth telling.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
SandS, plotting is sometimes an over-used word in the fiction world.

For instance, almost every activity, from world building to character studies, can be helpful to your plot, therefore, it must be part of the plot process, right?

I'm going to say, "wrong."

This is because plot is simple and often overlooked.

Plotting is the planning of conflict and resolution.

Again, plotting is the planning of conflict and resolution.

Just because I write about characters who do something does not mean I've plotted a novel. If I've taken the time to figure out the main character's outer goal ("save the cheerleader, save the world...") and his inner goal ("find other freaks like me") then I've taken great strides to plotting my book. By seeing/realizing/boiling down the major things that create tension in my book's scope, I help myself write the rest of the novel. The secondary characters, external world, etc. usually has their own agendas and they don't co-exist peaceably with my MC, which adds/builds tension and conflict. This is part of plotting.

A Utopic world where nothing bad happens to the MC and nothing bad can come in, is not interesting. Take that same world and invade it with a race of superhuman she-wolves who eat Mary-Janes and Marty-Stu's for breakfast, then you've got interesting....add a Mary-Jane who despite being out numbered, and bitten and infected with the she-wolf virus who can stand up against the wolves, and you've got a story.
I definitely DON'T want to 'go out in the real world'. The 'real world' is intolerably awful, and protest against it is the core motivation of my writing. My personal artistic philosophy is that fiction exists to point out the injustices of the universe, pain a picture of what a truly good existence might be like, allow us to pretend temporarily that all is as it should be, and distract us from the intolerability of reality.
The real world can stay out there, but bring the conflict in and control it. Use news stories of conflict to imagine worst case scenarios for your characters and depict how they will overcome the worst. That's the joy of being a writer, you get to control your very own universe. Too bad writers are perverse gods...

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hmm. I think that the image of conflict as violence is conflict is kind of a problem. I don't like to read books where characters get killed, so they don't make a good template for the kind of thing I want to write. I like stories where there isn't a villain, and ones where the conflict is a misunderstanding or non-violent problem that gets worked out so everyone is happy at the end. I want to be the kind of god who makes love and friendship blossom and grow strong through mild adversity and humorous adventures. I've seen plenty of children's television/anime, and at the other extreme plenty of romances and erotica where a mostly-utopic world has plenty of interesting things happen in it. Yes there's still conflict, but there are rules about what types of things are and aren't allowed to happen. Which is the same in any genre really; if you are writing a whodunnit you probably don't want to reveal the culprit to be an alien or a ghost, and if you are writing a romance novel you can't kill the hero at the end, and if you are writing a comedy you probably don't want to bring up a totally non-humorous subject like AIDS... It's like each genre has its own specialized laws of physics.

Also, I love stories where the main character is more of a swept-along commentator than a man with a plan, because I'm not a visionary or an ambitious person so it's hard to identify with that. Again, there's still conflict, but the main character doesn't have one giant goal unless it's something really abstract like 'find love', 'protect my friends', 'learn to fit in in a new society'. The main characters concrete goals tend to be more reactionary to the other characters, like 'help my buddy impress the girl he likes' and 'sneak out to alleviate my boredom but don't get caught because getting yelled at is annoying'. I understand the theory of it, I just have trouble thinking of specific things I want to see happen, often they seem arbitrary and it's hard to make all the little events add up to a powerful overall pattern.

Last edited:

jubileerocker

Let's do the time warp again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I started project after project four years ago. I just tossed them away and forgot about them. I read a book and came up with a entire story all my own with nothing to do with the book I was reading

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
S&S, your OP is full of what you don't want, but it's not clear what you do want other than friends.

At a squint I'd say that your writing looks stalled for the same reason your friendships are: because you don't want to care until you get paid in advance.

In my experience we all pay up front and we all pay more than we get back. Don't sweat it; them's just the rules.

My suggestion: do something for someone other than yourself. Do it regularly. Do it with your best efforts. Practice caring until Self doesn't fill your mind. If that hurts and outrages you, then be hurt and outraged. Jot down how it hurts and why it hurts. Start a blog and whine your head off if you want, but keep doing.

Caring often, actively and sincerely is exercise for the spirit. When we first start exercising, everything is torture. After that, it's a mind-numbing chore. After that, it can actually be a bit exhilarating.

Caring brings friendships like honey brings bees. It brings compassion, sympathy and concern. Why? Perhaps it's just because people who care seek other people who do.

Finally, caring leads to compassion, empathy, sympathy, understanding, inspiration -- all key tools in the writer's toolbox.

So my advice in a nutshell: don't wait to get paid before you care. Don't bargain about how much you need to be paid or when. Care first (not by judging, by doing), and you'll find what you need.

Good luck.

Reaction score
How about this?

"that I don't feel like I have anything important to say"

Then, don't bother.
Say something ordinary but say it so well, the whole world will realise they had not thort properly about a fork b4.
A spoon.
A automobile.
A dove, a pigeon.
Anything and everything.
When you can write 100,000 words about a single orchid bloom, and can't contain yourself at 99,999, you have cracked your demon.

The demon is in your head, nowhere else, it is not over here, I have my own personal demons, keep yours away!

Take something, anything, big/small, simple/complicated, white/black, then OWN it, every last little detail and probably nothing anyone else has thort of b4.

english is a word, I invented it, I own it!

Status
Not open for further replies.