If you were shipwrecked...

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
If you were shipwrecked on a deserted island with only a pocketknife, a couple shirts and pairs of shorts, some chocolate bars, a watch and a packet of matches what would you do? You were knocked off a cruise ship when it wrecked and got knocked unconscious. The next thing you knew you had woken up on a deserted island. You're 16 years old and haven't seen your parents since they were on the ship. You are alone (as far as you know anyway).

Oh and you have no knowledge of survival, what would you do besides panic?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Before answering this question, I think you need to consider your character. An Eagle scout might handle this differently from someone who'd been coddled all his/her life.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest die, but then I wasn't sure how I didn't drown being unconscious in the cruel sea.

Maybe I swam aroun a bit and found a life raft, struggled a bit to pull myself into it, then passed out from exhaustion?

But to answer your question, I think people are of two mindsets: Go exploring (and if you're smart, looking for food and water. If not, looking for ppl blindly). Or sit tight (again, smart would do something resourceful. Get a fire going.)

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Before answering this question, I think you need to consider your character. An Eagle scout might handle this differently from someone who'd been coddled all his/her life.

True. Okay you've been coddled all your life and have no survival knowledge. Now how do you react?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. ;) The ship didn't wreck on the island. The girl just washed up on it.

Some/most of the ship would be around her. Currents don't tend to shift and scatter ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True. Okay you've been coddled all your life and have no survival knowledge. Now how do you react?

Well, even if she is smart, she's prolly not used to thinking for herself. (Is she?) So as above, minus the smart add ons (is my guess)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score

She would put her surroundings in her frame of reference - what she was used to experiencing in every day life or what she'd read about or seen on TV/movies. That would be her knowledge base. If she was a fan of 'Lost' she might know, ultimately, to look for a spring or fresh water source in the center of the island.

But...if you're asking for her initial reaction. I'd say shock. And it would probably last a while. I imagine there'd be some impetus to kick her in the butt to get her survival skills in check...like hunger, a wild animal, a fierce storm.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
A crazy bird, perhaps?

ETA: I'd probably google Polynesian islands and find out what animals are indigenous. Probably not many.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pigs, left there long ago (so later visitors would have something to slaughter). Snakes that stowed away then slithered off. (And rats and such). Goats, sheep, w/e. (Though inbred pigs tend to retain their nasty, even w/o people around for many many many generations)

Really big, ornery birds, there of their own accord. Do your homework.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Do your homework.

Um...you may want to spend some time googling/researching then running your thoughts by here. It may depend, too, which ocean your shipwreck is in. If it's the Carribean, the answer would be very different from the Pacific owing to the fact of a greater European presence in the Carribean.

Lots of possibilities exist for your scenario. Good luck with your research!

ETA: Oops...just noticed you said Pacific. :tongue

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Compare THE BLACK STALLION versus THE SEA WOLF versus ROBINSON CRUSOE. Then go over to TV and look at GILLIGAN'S ISLAND versus LOST.

Short version of this is that there's a lot of range here.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Ciera_

A wild boar was used in one of my favourite trilogies as a child, now what were the books called...(Gordon Korman...) I think 'The Island' or something. Anyway, it's not as though that forbids you from using a pig, but I'd take a look at those books (even though they might be quite a bit younger than anything you read or write).
Anyway, the first thing I'd do is sit and cry and wallow and get all sandy and feel sorry for myself. Then I'd stumble around hopelessly looking for water.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Me, I'd probably strike out looking for people. There aren't that many uninhabited islands in this world (not of any size, anyway—little one-tree islets in freshwater lakes don't count). I'd travel along the beach so I don't go in circles, and also from some vague calculation that streams run down to the sea and cities are near water and so forth.

After a while, it would probably occur to me that while there are few completely uninhabited islands, there are quite a few uninhabited places, some many miles from civilization. It would also occur to me that I'm half-drowned and not feeling very good and perhaps I shouldn't be trying to hike anywhere.

At this point, I would probably try to find water. I might actually stick pretty close to the wreckage at this point, if there is any. It's visible, after all. As a modern person, I assume that ships don't just disappear and get written off; as an American, I have some vague idea of what the Coast Guard does, and even if I'm nowhere near America, I might assume that someone's coast guard is out there doing search and rescue. If the wreckage isn't visible, I might try to make some sort of large sign in the sand, but I honestly don't think I'd get to that the first day. I'd be in pretty bad shape, after all.

When I get hungry, I would remember (as someone who read Ranger Rick obsessively as a child) that tide pools support life such as crabs and mussels and what-have-you. I dislike seafood and loathe the idea of trying to eat it raw, but it might be somewhat better than eating totally unknown berries. If I'm actually on an uninhabited island, there might be some ground-nesting birds; if it's the right time of year, I might try to steal an egg. This will probably get me injured, since anything like a pelican is going to be (a) not happy with my nest-robbing ways, and (b) big enough to do some damage. Having gotten an egg, I will crack it and belatedly realize that it's fertilized, which means bloody, which means ewww yuck yuck yuck gross. Whether I eat it anyway depends on how long I've been there when I compose this brilliant plan.

I might look around for fruits I recognize, but—you know, here, I have to stop speculating about what I would do, because I actually have some idea what a totally untouched coconut looks like. Someone who doesn't know that might go looking for little brown globes on trees, like in the cartoons, and walk right by the real thing.

I also realize that if I can't improvise some kind of tool, there is no way on Earth I'm getting one of those babies open. So if I find a coconut, the next thing I've got to do is find something that'll make a dent in it.

At some point, it's going to occur to me that I really want a fire, for heat, food, and signalling. Honestly, I don't think I'd have much luck with that.

It's worth noticing that many of my reactions are completely twenty-first century. I assume that someone's looking and that they have planes, for instance. I assume that while this island might be unknown to me, someone knows about it. If your story is set in another time period you're going to have to ditch a lot of that.

Izunya

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
There aren't that many uninhabited islands in this world (not of any size, anyway—little one-tree islets in freshwater lakes don't count).

Exactly! Sounds a bit like something I've read before.

BUT, if you do want them to wash up on an island, why not Pitcairn, around 10-20 years ago? The story is crying out to be written.

In fact, scrub that: I might make that into a novel myself :O))

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If the person fell overboard, the matches would be soaked and useless. The only way they wouldn't be would be if they were carried in an air & watertight container. So a 3" pocket knife and a few changes of clothing. Some candy is in sealed plastic wrappers so that's within the realm of possible. From highschool classes the person might be familiar with Robinson Crusoe and Jack London.

Looking for water, leaving a large SOS with rocks or cocoanuts or tree limbs on the beach that could be seen from above, food search, shelter search, and trying to keep sane alone would be the biggest challenges.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
What Heron said about the matches.

Humans have an amazing ability to adapt when confronted with life-changing circumstances. I assume you would want to show this in your character. I suggest the reader wouldn't want to see her doing nothing to survive. You need to dig deep. Have her remembering tv programs or books she's read. Have her trying different things, exploring etc. Basically, you're limited only by your imagination here and what you want your charcter to be. Try a few different things. Think outside the box: have her spending hours trying to start a fire, then make it rain when she finally does; have her spending hours trying to catch a fish, then have her slip over rocks and the fish released.

If it's a story of survival, you need to throw her to the edge of sanity and have her drawing on all of her limited life experiences and using discovery to survive.

JJ

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If I were 16 years old, I'd be looking for dusky skinned native girls, totally my first priority.

OK, if it's a hot place, I'd use some item of clothing to wear over my head to lessen possibility of sunstroke.

I'd gather any wood and dry vegetation I found and pile it up into a beacon fire. Depending on how ready the supply of burnable material is, I'd either start the fire and throw more stuff on throughout the day so it keeps burning and sending up smoke, or I'd at least have it ready to set alight if I see a ship on the horizon.

I'd try to plough a message in the sand and fill the track with darker material, earth, rocks, plants, anything to make it stand out in case a plane flies by.

If I found a spear-length piece of wood I'd sharpen one end. At least now I've got a weapon and a hunting tool. Makes me feel better, if nothing else.

If there's any visible high ground then I'd head for it, the higher I am, the more I can see. And maybe I can build a beacon fire up there, too. Gotta remember where I started out from. Note any landmarks. Try to get a sense of direction. Watch the sun and figure out which way's north. If I'm facing the sun when it sinks down over the horizon, then north is to my right. Let me just make an arrow marker out of small stones so I'll remember tomorrow.

All the while I'll be looking for water, fruit, animals. If I see any animals, I'll take note of what they eat before I kill 'em (or at least frighten them) with my spear, maybe I can eat this too. Where do the animals go to drink?

I'd also be looking for any natural shelter. Caves, overhangs. Are there any big leaves, in case I need a blanket after it gets dark?

I don't want to think about tomorrow, my first day was bad enough. Someone will come for me. I just have to keep telling myself that. They know I'm here. It's just a matter of time before mum and dad show up and give me into trouble for causing them concern.

-Derek

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
If you were shipwrecked on a deserted island with only a pocketknife, a couple shirts and pairs of shorts, some chocolate bars, a watch and a packet of matches what would you do? You were knocked off a cruise ship when it wrecked and got knocked unconscious. The next thing you knew you had woken up on a deserted island. You're 16 years old and haven't seen your parents since they were on the ship. You are alone (as far as you know anyway).

Oh and you have no knowledge of survival, what would you do besides panic?

Uhm...

I'm having a problem with the laundry list of items you posted here.

Such as the chocolate bars - which would be no good after the dunking in the water.

Several shirts? Several shorts?

A pocketknife? When I went on my last cruise the shipboard people got somewhat hostile with my father and I who had pocketknives with us when we embarked. They took them and put them in a weapons locker until the end of the cruise.

So I'm not sure how your scene is playing out here. And if the cruise ship wrecked, why only the one survivor?

Rabe...

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Your character doesn't have any specific knowledge of survival techniques, but what else does s/he know? Is this a generally competent teen who knows how to do a lot of assorted practical things? Is this a nerd who knows a lot of theory but lacks practical experience at anything? Is this a spoiled brat who doesn't know how to do anything more challenging than handing daddy's credit card to the clerk?

What is your char's basic personality? Is s/he level-headed and confident? Does s/he panic easily? Does s/he throw temper tantrums when something goes wrong?