Cruise Ship Cabins?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
What are the cabins typically like on a cruise ship? This is a rather nice, expensive cruise ship.

I've been on the QE2 many years ago and I stayed in one of the cheapest cabins. There were 2 bunks and one bed on the side. We had a window, so we were on the outside of the boat. There was a bathroom with a shower. And I think we had a small closet. If the room was 8 feet by 8 feet I'd be amazed. I can't speak for the larger rooms.

We also made friends with the crew and went to their quarters. That was really cool!

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Would a cruise ship allow someone to take a small pocketknife on board? I doubt they would now, but before all this craze began would they?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Even if they didn't, they could swipe a steak knife from the dinner table.

Go on websites for the cruise lines and take one of their virtual tours. They also have floor plans of the different decks and room, with price points. That's what I did for my first book.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you google the various cruise lines you can see pics of the various types of rooms. And they probably have info on what you can and cannot take on board.

MM

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Even if they didn't, they could swipe a steak knife from the dinner table.

My MC isn't commiting murder. She's supposed to be shipwrecked and she can't be shipwrecked with a pocketknife if she's not allowed to have one.

Thanks though I'll look it up.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Last one I went on was like a neat (read small) motel room. Entering the door there were doors on the left which gave plenty of hanging space for clothes, drawers and a safe. On the right was the ensuite. Back to the left, after the wardrobes was a flat TV set in the wall and below it a fridge with all the bar needs moulded into the top of it so they didn't sail across the room in a storm.

The queen size double bed had plenty of room to walk around it. It was facing the way of travel - head toward sharp end of the boat. At the foot of the bed, across from the walkway, was a large mirror and in front of it a writing desk. Past all this was a small dining table and chairs on one side and a couple of lounge chairs on the other. The side of the cabin facing the sea was mostly window and one was a sliding door to let you out onto the private balcony - quite big really. Plastic chairs and table, a great view of the sea - very relaxing.

The ship took about 650 passengers and there were over 400 crew. Our trip was for 15 days around New Calidonia, New Hebridies and Fiji with a few minute islands added for good measure.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
As to the knife question, last August we took a cruise. In my luggage, I brought the usual knife I carry, namely a Spyderco Endura with a 4 inch half serrated blade. No problems and that is one very serious knife!

So by all means take your swiss army knife!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
As to the knife question, last August we took a cruise. In my luggage, I brought the usual knife I carry, namely a Spyderco Endura with a 4 inch half serrated blade. No problems and that is one very serious knife!

So by all means take your swiss army knife!
Pack it in your luggage and it will probably go fine. Don't have it in a pocket or in your carry-on luggage, though.

HoraceJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
horacejames.wordpress.com
The cabins vary by deck. Generally, luxury rooms and suites in the higher decks, cheap motel rooms on the lower decks. But for the most part, there's more emphasis on activities/entertainment than on room quality nowadays.

If you go to a cruise line website, like Carnival or Norwegian, they have 360 degree shots of the rooms, etc.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
Where is she cruising to? Do you want an ocean liner-style ship or a regular cruise ship? Cunard line, which has the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and the recently retired Queen Elizabeth 2, is the last of the class-based lines. There are certain restaurants and lounges open only to those cruising in higher cabin categories. This is mostly just a nod to history these days, with 99% of the ship open to all....but something that could give your story a little extra flair.

On any ship, of any line, there are a wide range of cabin categories. The older the line, the more obvious differences between the cheap cabins and the more expensive ones. On a newer mass market line like Carnival, all cabins of a specific category (inside, outside, balcony, suite) are basically the same, with those on higher decks costing more. A handful of huge penthouse suites are usually available, perhaps with private butlers, and are breathtakingly expensive.

If your MC isn't in a penthouse suite, expect space to be at a premium. Depending on the age of the ship, average size w/ensuite is anywhere from 125 to 185 sf. There are generally two twin beds that can be pushed together (the cabin steward will do this). Some cabins have upper bunks that fold into the wall.

However, every inch of the cabin is carefully designed to maximize space. There's plenty of storage and plenty of room to move around. On my most recent cruise with my father, we were able to get his ECV into a regular inside cabin and still had room to comfortably get around.

You'll have a cabin steward, whose duties are similar to housekeeping at a nice hotel several years ago. He or she will greet you within a few minutes of arrival and ask about your preferred bed arrangements and dining time. They're sometimes known as magic elves, since they always manage to slip in and tidy up as soon as you leave the cabin. When you return from dinner, your bed will be turned down with chocolates and a copy of the next day's ship's newsletter. There will be one or two cute animals made of towels nearby. The steward is also happy to handle simple requests, such as keeping your ice bucket filled.

Cruise ship toilets are something to behold. The flushing power is, let's just say, powerful! A lot of people jump the first time they flush, and there's usually a joke made about it at the Welcome Aboard show.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM. I'm an avid cruiser and always happy to discuss my experiences.

kellysarah

Registered
Reaction score
Cruise ship rooms that I've been in (two, so not a wide variety of experience) have been quite minimal. Nothing in there that isn't needed. The first one I went on was quite posh- the maid turned down my bed every night and left me a chocolate on my pillow. Showering is fun- imagine the smallest shower ever, and it's surreal being in a shower while on a boat. Also, the first night of my second cruise, there was this annoying banging noise. It was the hangers in the wardrobe (closet) knocking against each other.