PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your water?

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Bottled water? Sink faucet filtration? Pitcher? Straight from the tap?

What kind of water do you drink, and why?

quickWit
12-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Bottled. Why? Because I'm fancy that way. :)

Kitrianna
12-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Wet. Cause I'm simple that way. ;)

Mr Flibble
12-30-2008, 02:09 AM
In my tea.

scarletpeaches
12-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Tap water, filtered.

vixey
12-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Tap water, no ice. Why? Because the ice makes me cold.

JLCwrites
12-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Brita'd

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 02:19 AM
I pour it down my throat.

ha ha.

But seriously, I use bottled water. Usually Poland Spring.

dpaterso
12-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Straight from the tap.

Or technically, from the tap into a Tupperware cup.

Then from the cup to my mouth.

-Derek

Beach Bunny
12-30-2008, 02:21 AM
Straight out of the tap on ice, because the Clean Water Regulations requires that the water coming out of the tap be safe to drink AND it tastes fine. If it didn't taste good, then I would filter it.

Siddow
12-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Brita Pitcher. I never realized what crap my water was until I got that pitcher.

I still use tap for Kool-Aid, iced tea, coffee, and cooking, but for straight drinking water, it's Brita all the way.

jennifer75
12-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Bottled water? Sink faucet filtration? Pitcher? Straight from the tap?

What kind of water do you drink, and why?

For the coffee pot, tap. Drinking fresh, has to be bottled. Nothing fancy, just spring or drinking water from the grocer. Tap grosses me out. Can't explain it. Just don't like that it's comin' from down in the ground, through some pipe.

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 02:30 AM
We have to boil our tap water first if we want to drink it. Might be little critters in there.

MaryMumsy
12-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Straight tap, with lots of ice.

MM

Soccer Mom
12-30-2008, 02:47 AM
From my fridge. It has a filter system. Otherwise, bottled.

robeiae
12-30-2008, 02:48 AM
I take my water like I take my women: whatever's available and cheap.

MsK
12-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Bottled. My favorite is Fiji, but I usually cut costs and go with Crystal Geyser.
Why? Because I don't like the taste of tap water and I like the convenience of the bottles.

nevada
12-30-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm supposed to drink water? I suppose there's water in Diet Coke.

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2008, 02:54 AM
I usually use my 3-gallon tabletop water cooler, but since I've tried to eliminate BPA from everything else, I'm feeling hypocritical and think it's time to eliminate the BPA-leeching 3-gallon jug I've been using for... um... years. (Yeah, I just rinse it out every time I refill it with Poland Springs.)

It seems like there are drawbacks to every type of filtration system, though, and I'm just inexplicably grossed out by straight tap. I'm thinking the Brita pitcher may be my next step, but o! How I will miss my hot water dispenser for tea and coffee and instant soup. Then I'll have to microwave it, which is probably just as harmful as the BPA I'm trying to avoid.

Ya just can't win, I tell ya.

alleycat
12-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Tap. My water is good enough to do that.

nevada
12-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Just don't like that it's comin' from down in the ground, through some pipe.

Jennifer, I hate to break it to you, especially so close to christmas, but how do you think they get the water in the bottles? They don't actually fill them up at the spring you know. It comes through some pipe, from down in the ground. And a lot of bottled water is just tap water, that's filtered or processed through reverse osmosis. Nothing fancy.

robeiae
12-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Actually, I have an in-sink filtration system that dispenses boiling water and cold water. It's murder on the electric bill but quite convenient.

Ken
12-30-2008, 03:00 AM
...my city is renowned for it's great tastin' tap :-) so I go for that. It's easy on the wallet, too.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Tap for Sun Tea. Bottled for straight drinking. We've got a filter on the fridge, too.

MsK
12-30-2008, 03:06 AM
I usually use my 3-gallon tabletop water cooler, but since I've tried to eliminate BPA from everything else, I'm feeling hypocritical and think it's time to eliminate the BPA-leeching 3-gallon jug I've been using for... um... years. (Yeah, I just rinse it out every time I refill it with Poland Springs.)

It seems like there are drawbacks to every type of filtration system, though, and I'm just inexplicably grossed out by straight tap. I'm thinking the Brita pitcher may be my next step, but o! How I will miss my hot water dispenser for tea and coffee and instant soup. Then I'll have to microwave it, which is probably just as harmful as the BPA I'm trying to avoid.

Ya just can't win, I tell ya.

The BPA is why I've been considering a Brita also. My problem is that I drink so much water. I keep a gallon jug with me at all times and I drink right from the jug. Not very lady like, I know. But it's my way of making sure I get most of the gallon down each day.
I suppose I could keep a pitcher of Brita water with me and just pour it in a glass. *Sigh*

Gehanna
12-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Recently, I was talking with my daughter about our need to drink more water. She and I do not like to drink it straight from the tap unless we chill it first. The same goes for any type of bottled water. Unless it is very cold, we do not enjoy it.

Just as there are things to make water from the faucet hot, it would be nice if there were something to make it much cooler. If we had something like that, she and I would drink more water.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Mumut
12-30-2008, 03:23 AM
We have to boil our tap water first if we want to drink it. Might be little critters in there.

I'd be careful doing this, if I were you. I saw a scientific program that warned people that it does get rid of bad things but some really bad things survive the process.

I drink filtered water from the rain water tank.

vixey
12-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Um...ignorance showing here...

What's BPA?

alleycat
12-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Um...ignorance showing here...

What's BPA?
A type of plastic that was used for water bottles.

vixey
12-30-2008, 03:28 AM
A type of plastic that was used for water bottles.

Thanks. :tongue

And I found this...from Wiki

Bisphenol A, commonly abbreviated as BPA, is an organic compound with two phenol functional groups. It is a difunctional building block of several important polymers and polymer additives. With an annual production of 2–3 million tonnes, it is an important monomer in the production of polycarbonate.

Suspected of being hazardous to humans since the 1930s, concerns about the use of bisphenol A in consumer products grabbed headlines in 2008 when several governments issued reports questioning its safety, and some retailers pulled products made from it off their shelves.

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
I take my water like I take my women: whatever's available and cheap.

Isn't Rob funny?

Jenna starts good threads, doesn't she?

SC Harrison
12-30-2008, 03:52 AM
We have one of those Brita (drip) pitchers, and I always use that for my kids or guests, and I usually use it for myself. But sometimes I drink my water unfiltered from the tap, but I'm not worried about it. Because of where we live (near the end of city water system), I volunteered to submit samples every year or so for testing, and I get a copy of the results. Our water is exceptionally clean.

For the folks out there who are afraid to drink their (municipal) tapwater, remember this: you can ask for and receive data on how your water is managed and what contaminants are detected. But no matter how pretty the snow-capped mountain looks on that bottle of water you buy in the store, unless you test every one you pop open, you won't know exactly what you're getting:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp

Our "snapshot" testing of more than 1,000 bottles of 103 brands of water by three independent labs found that most bottled water tested was of good quality, but some brands' quality was spotty. About one third of the bottled waters we tested contained significant contamination (i.e., levels of chemical or bacterial contaminants exceeding those allowed under a state or industry standard or guideline) in at least one test.

About one fifth of the waters contained synthetic organic chemicals -- such as industrial chemicals (e.g., toluene or xylene) or chemicals used in manufacturing plastic (e.g., phthalate, adipate, or styrene) -- in at least one sample, but generally at levels below state and federal standards. One sample contained phthalate -- a carcinogen that leaches from plastic -- at a level twice the tap water standard, but there is no bottled water standard for this chemical; two other samples from different batches of this same water contained no detectable phthalate.

In addition, many waters contained arsenic, nitrates, or other inorganic contaminants at levels below current standards. While in most cases the levels found were not surprising, in eight cases arsenic was found in at least one test at a level of potential health concern.

I'm not trying to make anyone freak out or say, "Everything is bad for you!", but you shouldn't work from the assumption that bottled water is totally safe, or even substantially cleaner than tap water. It's also a huge (and unnecessary) source of plastic refuse, which may bother me a lot more than some of you. But here's the main thing, especially in this current economic environment: if you drink bottled water instead of tap water, you're probably spending 300 times more money because of it. That's three dollars vs a penny, thirty dollars vs a dime, three hundred dollars vs a dollar, etc.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Tap water. Straight up.

ChaosTitan
12-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Brita for plain, cold water (no ice, thanks).

Albedo
12-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Tap. That's what it's there for, and fluoridation keeps the dentist away.

I only drink bottled water if I want bubbles in it.

scarletpeaches
12-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Tap water. Straight up.

Douche.

Jaycinth
12-30-2008, 04:15 AM
When I am at home, I drink tap water that I've put in a pitcher in the fridge. The City water here is very good. When I go anywhere else..(a couple of exceptions) I want my water filtered or something.

...And there is one local municipality that if you don't drink bottled...you will lose a lot of weight in an unpleasant way.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 04:15 AM
You know, SP, you caught me off guard. I have no response. I have no idea why you called me that. :)

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 04:18 AM
I'd be careful doing this, if I were you. I saw a scientific program that warned people that it does get rid of bad things but some really bad things survive the process.

I drink filtered water from the rain water tank.

Well, I can tell you this.

When I drank tap water (right from the tap) I had really bad stomach problems.

Now that I either boil it first or drink bottled water--no more stomach problems.

alleycat
12-30-2008, 04:19 AM
You know, SP, you caught me off guard. I have no response. I have no idea why you called me that. :)
Uh, I don't think she was actually referring to you. I think she was making a little pun there.

Tap water . . . straight up . . .

scarletpeaches
12-30-2008, 04:22 AM
That's me. I'm a little ray of punshine.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 04:23 AM
You have to boil your tap water? Our water is among the cleanest, best processed in the country. That's because the whole system was updated and revamped back in the early 90s after we had a cryposporidium outbreak that sickened many and killed a few.

Uh, I don't think she was actually referring to you. I think she was making a little pun there.

Tap water . . . straight up . . .
I.don't.get.it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Gosh... I'd hate to have to close one of Jenna's threads...

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 04:27 AM
You have to boil your tap water? Our water is among the cleanest, best processed in the country. That's because the whole system was updated and revamped back in the early 90s after we had a cryposporidium outbreak that sickened many and killed a few.

Where do you live again?

I'm going to live with Mr. Ferret. :)

alleycat
12-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Well, I can tell you this.

When I drank tap water (right from the tap) I had really bad stomach problems.

Now that I either boil it first or drink bottled water--no more stomach problems.
Exactly! That's why I always mix my tap water with Jack Daniels. Kills all the bacteria.

;-)

Seaclusion
12-30-2008, 04:29 AM
With scotch. Preferably Chivas.

And I run the tap water through a carbon filter to get the chlorine taste out.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Where do you live again?

I'm going to live with Mr. Ferret. :)
Milwaukee.

Won't my wife be surprised. :)

brad_b
12-30-2008, 04:40 AM
*takes a sip of Aquafina, holds the bottle up to the light* Ahhh, Bisophenal A, vintage 2004, a delicate nose with a slightly nutty aftertaste...good year...good year....

Jaycinth
12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Exactly! That's why I always mix my tap water with Jack Daniels. Kills all the bacteria.

;-)

I normally use Mr. Bacardi for all of my water treatment needs.:D

jennifer75
12-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Bottled. My favorite is Fiji, but I usually cut costs and go with Crystal Geyser.
Why? Because I don't like the taste of tap water and I like the convenience of the bottles.

I tried Fiji Water for the first time this summer, and actually liked it. But I can't pay that, for a bottle of water. Sure, it's a cute bottle, but no thanks. I buy my water by the gallon, for no more than a buck a piece.

MsK
12-30-2008, 05:19 AM
I tried Fiji Water for the first time this summer, and actually liked it. But I can't pay that, for a bottle of water. Sure, it's a cute bottle, but no thanks. I buy my water by the gallon, for no more than a buck a piece.

Me too. :) The Crystal Geyser is about a dollar a gallon and it's pretty good.
Here's something cool about the Fiji Water though. It, supposedly, has the highest content of silica of any bottled water. Silica is great for your hair, skin and nails. So, on those occasions that you choose to splurge, just consider it a beauty treatment. :)

Silver King
12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
...I buy my water by the gallon, for no more than a buck a piece.
One dollar per gallon seems exceptionally high for drinking water. For less than a tenth of that cost, you can try a simple filtration system, such as Brita, and have better tasting and cleaner water than what's available with most bottled brands.

Where I live, the water that comes out of the tap originates from the same aquifer that's used to bottle a product for a huge beverage company that sells the brand worldwide. (I won't mention the name of this company, except to say they used to add cocaine to their soft drinks.) I wasn't surprised to learn recently that the water which pours through my tap is considered superior to the bottled version in almost every category. That's because the standards for drinking water are greater in my community than they are on the open market.

How's this for a business model: Pump billions of gallons of water from so-called "springs," bottle and sell it to unsuspecting consumers as superior to what's available to them within arms' reach, and create obscene profits based solely upon those consumers' misguided and wrongful assumptions about what's best for them.

Pretty soon, someone's gonna come along and sell us air to breathe, only the air we breathe now will be just as good if not better than what they'll offer, but we'll still stand in line to pay for it.

astonwest
12-30-2008, 06:36 AM
With Splenda mixed in...

rhymegirl
12-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Pretty soon, someone's gonna come along and sell us air to breathe, only the air we breathe now will be just as good if not better than what they'll offer, but we'll still stand in line to pay for it.

Shhh!! That's my new business venture. Don't give it away.

Silver King
12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Shhh!! That's my new business venture. Don't give it away.
We should start a business and call it, "Give us your money, 'cause we think you're too stupid to spend it anywhere else."

No, wait, that's been done a million times before.

benbradley
12-30-2008, 06:52 AM
I use a filter pitcher for everything I end up drinking - coffee, water added to food (as in a little added to canned soup to thin it out), and ice cube trays. Unfortunately, others in the house often use "my" ice cubes (can I use the R word here...), and fill them up from the tap, so it ends up THEY get the good ice cubes, and I never know what I get.

But it's a game of reducing risks and trying to stay healthy. Water at the house comes from a well with a pump, and there's no telling what's in it. The filter won't remove everything that might be in the water, but it surely takes out a large percentage of it.

And the pitcher and filters are a lot cheaper than that additive others were mentioning (my drug of choice was Baccardi for a long time, then Meyers Dark). I remember the instructor in that little six-hour class having us add up everything our 'incidents' cost us and telling us "See? Every one of you could have gone on a vacation to Hawaii!"

BenPanced
12-30-2008, 07:56 AM
We've got a Pur tank in the fridge. Every spring, they clean the holding tanks and you'll never believe how lush and green the water smells. Got incredibly sick off of it a couple times and I've been using some sort of filter year 'round for nigh on 12 years now.

Albedo
12-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Far too late on that one...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2008/1/oxygen-bar.JPG

O2 bars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_bar)

2old2pb
12-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Bottled because you'll get sick if you drink the tap water here. It's so bad you have to use bottled water to brush your teeth.

DL Hegel
12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
I like bottled water.

Arisa81
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
We use a Brita pitcher. We have bottled water on hand, but that's for taking with us in the car or for the BF to take to work. We don't often drink bottled at home.

Yeshanu
12-30-2008, 08:57 AM
From the tap, straight up. We've got water around here that's so good they bottle it up and sell it to all of you that don't have it so good.

sadron
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Straight from tap. It's not so bad here. Sometimes bottled.

Cassiopeia
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Tap water from my fridge door but I add ice. If I feel like wasting money on bottled water I buy Fiji or Evian. But to be honest, they taste exactly like my tap water.

HeronW
12-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Through a filtered tap and CO2 added :} fizz me!

JJ Cooper
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Finally, we've just had flouride added to our water supply in my State. Hopefully, it'll help take a few steps forward in improving the dental dramas for kids here.

Always straight from the tap for my family.

JJ

Roger J Carlson
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm always amused when I'm in Chicago and I'm offered bottled water at a restaurant. There I am, within sight of the world's largest fresh water reservoir, and they're offering me water bottled in France -- France! When my dad was stationed in France during WWII, he said you NEVER drank the water there.

NeuroFizz
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Tap water via a Brita filter most of the time, although my lab has a deionized water tap (mostly used for ice cubes), and if I'm really picky, I could get double-distilled water from one of the molecular biology labs.

I'll occasionally buy a bottle of water, for convenience, but I try to resist because outside of those $1 per gallon instances, a gallon of bottled water will cost more than a gallon of gasoline when gas prices were at the highest not too long ago. Some bottled water costs an equivalent in excess of $7 a gallon. It's pennies a gallon from the tap and a small occasional cost for the Brita filter.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
and if I'm really picky, I could get double-distilled water from one of the molecular biology labs.

Wow. Double-distilled? Does it even have any taste at that point?

Sometimes we go out to this park that has bubblers (drinking fountains to the rest of you) that tap into well water. It's really rich in minerals.

or we'll go up to Holy Hill and bottle some holy water. It tastes good and it's good for you in case there's any demons in your stomach.

astonwest
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Far too late on that one...
Puh-shaw! Bottled air was first invented in Spaceballs. :)

truelyana
12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I drink it out of the tap water too, only after the Brita Filter. It's fashionable, and I don't think it makes any difference.

truelyana
12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Sometimes we go out to this park that has bubblers (drinking fountains to the rest of you) that tap into well water. It's really rich in minerals.

or we'll go up to Holy Hill and bottle some holy water. It tastes good and it's good for you in case there's any demons in your stomach.

Now, that's more like it. :)

jennifer75
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
How I will miss my hot water dispenser for tea and coffee and instant soup.

There's a good excuse to go buy a cute lil tea kettle. Takes less than 5 minutes to heat up some water. ;)

I almost bought one for $25 at Marshalls, but didn't. It was cute. It even had the cap so you could properly clean the inside if needed. And it whistled. ;)

Why didn't I?

I suffer from shoppers remorse.

mscelina
12-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Straight from the tap, on rocks made from water straight from the tap. They BOTTLE our water and sell it for profit. I get it for free.

scarletpeaches
12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
At the moment, in a glass with a couple of Aspro-Clears fizzing away.

SC Harrison
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
When my dad was stationed in France during WWII, he said you NEVER drank the water there.

The Rhône is in really bad shape now. A lot of the folks living near it and/or who ate a lot of fish caught in the river have PCB levels ten times higher than the maximum "safe" amount. Fishing parts of the river has been prohibited for years, but they still use the tainted water to irrigate crops...

melaniehoo
12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
When I lived in Chicago, I used a Brita filter in the kitchen, but used tap water when I brushed my teeth. I drink tap at my parents' in Michigan and usually don't care unless it's cold.

Here, we can't drink the tap water, although we do brush our teeth and wash the dishes with it. We buy water in those 10 gallon "office water cooler" containers for 16 pesos each (a little more than a dollar). I pay 20 pesos so the delivery guys will carry it up our four flights of stairs.

I drink mostly water and the two of us go through one in 2-3 days. I also can't taste a difference between bottled and tap, and only buy small bottles when I'm desperate.

LadyVonFright
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
i take my water straight from the bottle...but it cant just be any bottle...for example, dassani, and aqua fina will simply not do.

ABekah
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I like my water fizzy with a twist of lime.

jennifer75
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
This thread has me seriously thinking about a Brita system. We (2 and a half of us) go through just about a gallon of water a day, sometimes a little more. Much more in the summer. So, at 99 cents a bottle, for a month, a Brita has to be cheaper.

I just went on their website, and yea after buying the pitcher, I'd save about $20 on water monthly with the Brita.

Something to think about.

NeuroFizz
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
I like my water fizzy with a twist of lime.
*raises hands* I swear, it wasn't me... Unless you saw a snorkel in it.