South American slang?

minervaK

Registered
Reaction score
Any native South American Spanish speakers out there who could help me with some slang?

Current question is whether the term 'jeva' is currently used, and how -- does it mean 'girl,' as in 'hey, girl!' or is it more like 'girlfriend?'

I have others, please let me know if you can help.

Thanks -- MK

minervaK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, seas, I'll see if I can track him down.

MK

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Jeva or Jevita is quite informal. Like in "Mira esa jeva" that could be translated as Check out that babe... or Esa es mi jeva, That-s my gal

I am open to any questions

minervaK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Max!

Can you give me some common expressions used in and around Bolivia (La Paz)? I speak some Texas Spanish, but I'm not sure if the language differs a lot in South America. Do you know? Are there unique figures of speech that are used in South America that aren't used in other Spanish-speaking countries?

I'd also like to ask you about dia de los natitas, if you have any knowledge of that. Specifically, how common it is for the average Bolivian to have a family skull, and how they keep it, in their house. I have also heard that the pre-Columbian peoples would bury their dead and then exhume them after three years, to reclaim their skeleton or mummy. Do you know anything on this?

Thanks -- MK

VeggieChick

Registered
Reaction score
Spanish varies A LOT depending on which South American country you are basing the story on. And words like jeva, which mean something in Venuezuela, are completely unknown in other Spanish-speaking, SA countries. Depending on what you're doing with your story, this may mean alienating a whole bunch of people, who may have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Can't help you with the Bolivian stuff... Spanish indeed varies a lot here. A word meaning angry in Venezuela means horny elsewhere and an innocent remark to a Mexican tailor can be understood as a request for a handjob.

I can give you some expressions if you tell what are you searching...

minervaK

Registered
Reaction score
Spanish varies A LOT depending on which South American country you are basing the story on. And words like jeva, which mean something in Venuezuela, are completely unknown in other Spanish-speaking, SA countries. Depending on what you're doing with your story, this may mean alienating a whole bunch of people, who may have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

Hm. Point taken. Perhaps I need to start a thread request for a Bolivian.

MK