PDA

View Full Version : I fell down a flight of stairs today.

Gehanna
12-29-2008, 02:07 AM
At about 9am this morning, I fell down a flight of stairs and landed on a concrete floor. I was heading down into the basement of my brother's house and my feet slipped out from under me. When I picked myself up, tunnel vision hit and I broke out into a very hot sweat. Falling down a flight of stairs was a first for me. Hopefully, it will also be a last.

So far, I don't think I suffered too much damage. Apparently, I didn't break my neck and none of my extremities ended up being wrapped around my throat. There is a good deal of bruising to my right wrist and my derrière. How I managed to land upright on my keister is beyond me.

Although the ordeal turned out to be a literal pain in the a**, I am amazed that I'm not dead. Too bad Christmas is already over or I'd give people the gift of taking out an AD&D Insurance policy on me.

Self Hazardously Yours,
Gehanna

Siddow
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
First, I'm glad you're okay.

Second, your title line made me giggle.

Susie
12-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Gee, Gehanna, sure glad you're alright. Sure sorry that happened though. Gentle ((((((HUGS)))))).

smoothseas
12-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Ouch! *sending cyber-sympathies.* Here's hopin' that you heal soon.

Gehanna
12-29-2008, 02:27 AM
I wish I had caught myself on camera. It must have been quite a sight. lol

This is the second, could-have-been-fatal, fall I've had this year. I don't even drink! Maybe I should start. :Shrug:Sheesh

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Cassiopeia
12-29-2008, 02:28 AM
OUUUUUUCH! Glad you are okay.

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm very glad you're ok. Falls down steps usually don't end well.

Do I have to yell at you like I do my kids?

HOLD ONTO THE RAILING!

Mumut
12-29-2008, 02:59 AM
From one accident-prone writer to another, I empathise with you. Obviously you're a surviver but don't test your luck too far.

Captshady
12-29-2008, 03:04 AM
I hate to be a downer, but you'll know if you're injury free when you wake up in the morning. God bless, hope you're alright.

Chumplet
12-29-2008, 03:09 AM
If your wrist is bruised, there might be swelling. You should have it checked asap. Now... be careful!

Pat~
12-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Ouch, Gehanna. Glad you landed on the...um...proper end. :) Hopefully you iced the wrist and whatever else needed it. Hematomas (hot, painful swelling due to internal bruising/bleeding) can cause internal scarring and adhesions (spoken from plenty of experience falling on the ice during workouts :o). Take care, lady.

Gehanna
12-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Falls down steps usually don't end well.

LOL, there's a pun in that. :D

I am getting a little concerned about my hips and tail bone. The last time I had a bone density scan, it showed some osteopenia in my hips. As Captshady pointed out, I'll know if I am injury free in the morning. I have a 4 hour class to teach tomorrow. I've never taught from a stretcher before but, then again, that would simply be another first for me. LOL

Sincerely,
Gehanna

regdog
12-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Glad you're okay.

Gehanna
12-29-2008, 04:06 AM
It would be my luck to end up suffering from a cerebral contusion or some other form of brain damage though the point of impact was at my fanny. :e2moon:

Perhaps I should have someone keep a close eye on me for any signs of normalcy.

:D,
Gehanna

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2008, 04:07 AM
When would you like me over? ;)

Gehanna
12-29-2008, 04:13 AM
That depends. Do you have any Xanax? You'll need them for your nerves if you hang out with me for long.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Beach Bunny
12-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Sorry that you're hurt. And I'm glad that it isn't worse.

Perhaps I should have someone keep a close eye on me for any signs of normalcy.

Except no one around here knows what normal looks like. :)

NeuroFizz
12-29-2008, 05:14 AM
So sorry for the fall, G. If anything seems out of kilter tomorrow, best to get yourself checked out. Heal fast.

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2008, 05:30 AM
That depends. Do you have any Xanax? You'll need them for your nerves if you hang out with me for long.

Sincerely,
Gehanna
Naw. I'm used to clutzy women. :D

Disa
12-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry this has happened. Take care of yourself and be sure to let us know how you feel tomorrow.

MaryMumsy
12-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Been there and done that. And I was home alone. I laid there for a while taking inventory before I decided to get up. Now I am fanatic about hanging on to the railing.

MM

willfulone
12-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Sorry! It sucks it happened. I feel your pain. Not literally of course. But, I took eight years of ballet lessons (graceful image coming to mind? - well wait now...), I did gymnastics for years as well and could do a back walk over or an aerial front walk over and land on the beam. Yeah? That four inch beam. Wow! Huh? Truth be known?

I trip over lint. I mostly fall UP stairs not down them (though I do that also).

I feel for you. Hope all checks out well in the AM!

Christine

Captshady
12-29-2008, 06:52 AM
I fell, down 6 steps, dressed in a Santa Suit. When I tried to get back up, I saw that my foot was connected to my leg by only flesh (it sure was dangly) and pointing 180 degrees the wrong way. I fear stairs now!

JimmyB27
12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Too bad Christmas is already over or I'd give people the gift of taking out an AD&D Insurance policy on me.
AD&D insurance? Does it cover you for orc attacks and magical damage?

Someone tell me I'm not the only one geeky enough to get that...

ishtar'sgate
12-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Ow!Ow!Ow! Glad you didn't break any bones. Take good care of yourself. Unfortunately you'll likely feel worse about the third day. My husband and son have suffered many injuries and that seems to be the magic number.

JoeEkaitis
12-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Damn gravity.

Kitrianna
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I learned at the young age of 7 that railings don't always help. I slipped down a set of concrete stairs and almost bounced off a brick wall that the end while being a good little kid and holding on to the railing AND walking slowly down said stairs. But give it a go anyways, sometimes they actually work :tongue.

Hope you're feeling better today Gehanna. :Hug2:

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2008, 06:05 PM
*checks in on Gehanna*

You ok, today?

My youngest son has fallen down the basement steps twice now. Scared the bejeezus out of both of us. I think that includes when he had his hand in the dog's collar and the dog decided to take off down the stairs dragging him with him. But he took a header down and I just had this feeling that I was witnessing his death. Worst feeling I've ever had.

Oh! Now that I think about it, both kids have done that. My oldest when he was in an in-home daycare came in from the outside, the basement door was open and they said he flew down the stairs, missed every step and landed face first at the bottom.

Captshady
12-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, how are you feeling today?

Gehanna
12-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Hello Shadow_Ferret and Captshady, :hi:

I feel like rigor mortis has taken over my back side not to mention that my left glute looks like a multicolored Christmas ornament gone wrong. Other than that, I'm good. :D

This morning, after I managed to get into my car, I turned on the radio. I had to laugh out loud because the song playing was I Feel The Earth Move by Carole King. The part of the song playing was:

"I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down
I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down"

With odds like mine, why can't I ever win the lottery?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Captshady
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Okay ... NOW we can laugh and call ya clumsy ;)

Kitrianna
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
No Gehanna is grace-challenged. Be politically correct would ya? :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Maybe I'll just start calling her Grace.

How is Grace this morning? Stiffer still or getting better?

Kitrianna
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
*whaps head off of desk* great...men around here have no decorum...or really big huevos rancheros. :D

sissybaby
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry about your fall, G, are you able to move at all today? Hopefully after today the battle will be uphill - no pun intended there, either. I hope you took pictures just in case you need some evidence at a later date - who knows, weirder things have happened.

I, too, am terrified of someone falling down stairs. My basement stairs have no railing and we're currently preparing the walls of the stairway to the upper level, and have removed the railing there. I'm always concerned the dog is going to overbalance one of the kids in her desperate rush to beat them down the stairs.

When we were kids several eons ago, my cousin took advantage of every opportunity to shove my baby sister down the basement stairs. Somehow she always came out whole.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 06:58 PM
*whaps head off of desk* great...men around here have no decorum...or really big huevos rancheros. :D
Really big what?

And the last thing I decorated was the Christmas tree.

Kitrianna
12-30-2008, 07:10 PM
:ROFL: Huevos Rancheros is....never mind.

truelyana
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Must have been some roll. Were you thinking about anything before you fell?

Back at school I used to fall down a heap of stairs on purpose. I used to black out, as I didn't want to be where I was.

HeronW
12-30-2008, 08:16 PM
With that tunnel vision--sounds like possible concussion--seriously--see a Dr hun!