PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had 48K dialup Internet

Snowstorm
12-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Yep, I do. Even paradise has bits of hell. Here our phone provider us with an old analog line. My husband's PC signs on at a 16K. My Mac Internet is slower than his, about 12K. When I snoop on AW to see what's up, I always sign in because my CP is set to hide avatars and signature (alas, I enjoy those), otherwise the thread will bounce all over the screen for up to two minutes while the thread downloads.

I appreciate those who post a paragraph or two of their topic as well as the link. I can't click on links because that could take too long. Research is a major problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you manage/handle a slow Internet? Does a slow Internet impact your writing or research?

Fortunately, help is on the way for us. A Wyoming ISP got a grant to install a broadband tower here in the spring. Can't wait!! I can't imagine accessing into my bank account in less than two hours, clicking on a link to see something interesting, or having an AW page load in less than two minutes. Then, with the ISP's Internet phone system, I cannot wait to tell my phone provider to stuff their phone lines.

alleycat
12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
12k? Yikes!

I'm guessing you don't do too many movie downloads from Amazon.

Well, I hope the new broadband tower helps.

maestrowork
12-29-2008, 02:30 AM
16K? You may as well use your cell phone as a modem -- it'd be faster.

alleycat
12-29-2008, 02:35 AM
16K? You may as well use your cell phone as a modem -- it'd be faster.
If cell phones work there.

;-)

Well, at least I bet it's pretty where Snowstorm is.

maestrowork
12-29-2008, 02:42 AM
C'mon, alleycat, that's cruel. After all, it's just Wyoming...

Oh, never mind.

Siddow
12-29-2008, 02:47 AM
You don't have CABLE???

Ye Gads!

(I didn't have cable at one place I rented because the house was over 1000ft from the closest road/existing cable line. But what I lost in entertainment, I gained in warning of approaching visitors down the long-ass driveway)

lakotagirl
12-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I feel your pain. When I moved to paradise ten years ago, I connected at 18K. That was bad THEN. Now it would be impossible to deal with. I ended up getting a satellite. But they aren't for everyone.

Call your Wyoming ISP every week to find out how many more days til they get the tower up. Tell them that you want to be top on their list of installations.

I'm serious. Don't let yourself be far down their list.

I can remember many, many years ago. Before the internet as we know it. We used direct dial bbs's and also could call (long distance) down to the southern illinois university and log in to a very basic version of the internet.

I could email my mom in Florida. I could do a little research. Then, one day I saw that Pepsi had a website.

I told my husband "It won't be long before everyone owns a computer. This here is gonna git big."

It did.

You need a faster connection. Do whatever it takes to get one.

Maryn
12-29-2008, 03:37 AM
Is a satellite dish an option? When a family member lived beyond the reach of DSL and cable, he got a dish that fed him both TV and internet. As I recall, he said it cost about the same as cable TV and internet would have.

Be aware that the DSL people routinely lie about when their installation will reach you. We finally got cable after being lied to for over a year. Screw 'em. Hopefully, your people have more integrity.

Maryn, who loves her high-speed but remembers her dial-up

kristie911
12-29-2008, 04:30 AM
NO! DON'T GET THE SATELLITE DISH FOR INTERNET!! IT'S A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

Sorry for yelling but I cringe every time I see the commercials or hear someone recommend it. We had it at work because we needed fast internet for some of our programs to work properly. It was the biggest waste of money. Cloudy? Didn't work. Raining? Didn't work. Snowing? Forget it. Sunny and clear? If we were lucky. It sucked, big time.

I feel your pain Snow. I'm stuck with dial-up...probably for the rest of my life. I looked into the Sprint and Alltel internet cards but it's way too expensive for me and we're right on the edge of decent coverage. There's no cable in the area. We don't even have the right phone lines to get it through Verizon.

I usually connect at 21.6k or so. Sometimes faster but then it usually drops within a couple of minutes.

Cranky
12-29-2008, 04:35 AM
I like my satellite dish, actually. :D

But I do have my internet through broadband, not satellite.

Snowstorm
12-29-2008, 04:47 AM
Wow, kristie911, I had no idea internet satellite could be so rough. I have satellite TV. There's a couple people here who have internet satellite. One guy loves his, and the other hates it. The second guy has problems, and the company is dragging its feet to come all this way to fix it. Of course, to have any maintenance done, there's usually a $100 bill tacked on just for principle. I would take the plunge for satellite and gulp at its expenses, but we're waiting impatiently for the Wyoming company to get the tower up.

Alleycat: some cell phones work here. Broke our hearts when the first cell phones started ringing up here! Yeah, it's pretty. My avatar shows the view out the kitchen window. Actually it looks like that now!

Maestrowork: Whaddya mean "After all, it's just Wyoming ..."?!

Don
12-29-2008, 04:49 AM

Sorry for yelling but I cringe every time I see the commercials or hear someone recommend it. We had it at work because we needed fast internet for some of our programs to work properly. It was the biggest waste of money. Cloudy? Didn't work. Raining? Didn't work. Snowing? Forget it. Sunny and clear? If we were lucky. It sucked, big time.

It must have improved considerably since you had yours. We travel full-time, and normally rely on a satellite dish for internet and cable TV. Other than having some limit on how much streaming video we can watch in a day, it's a wonderful service. In a heavy thunderstorm, it may blank for a minute at most as the worst part of the cell gets between us and the satellite, but that's very rare. I can remember one such storm all summer while we were on the road.

While at my sister-in-laws, their cable got cut and they were down for a day. I gave them the access code to our wireless router and they used ours until the cable was repaired.

benbradley
12-29-2008, 05:23 AM
It's all the HTML and pics and such for these "web forums" that turns the text you want to read into a painful webpage downloading event. Get a newsreader, configure it for your ISP's news server (presuming they HAVE a news server), and read Usenet (it's also accessible through http://groups.google.com, but that's reading it through yet another Web interface with all the usual overhead).

You'd be amazed at how fast text-only transfer is at 14k (especially zip-compressed text files!). I recall dial-up BBS's at 2400 baud, and that was substantially faster than I could read.

As far as research, there are these pre-printed and bound printout collections called books, and there are these buildings with doctors and nurses, but that's not important now called libraries that have large numbers of books

benbradley
12-29-2008, 05:29 AM
I heard about DirecPC about eight years ago when I knew someone who had it - they limited bandwidth on a per-month basis (without telling anyone!), and sometime during the month (after you used up the "bandwidth" they had allotted per customer), the speed would mysteriously drop to around dialup speed. Many of the customers got together and did a class-action lawsuit against DirecPC..

Don
12-29-2008, 05:35 AM
I heard about DirecPC about eight years ago when I knew someone who had it - they limited bandwidth on a per-month basis (without telling anyone!), and sometime during the month (after you used up the "bandwidth" they had allotted per customer), the speed would mysteriously drop to around dialup speed. Many of the customers got together and did a class-action lawsuit against DirecPC..
We're on HughesNet and it's a little different now. We're limited to 500MB downloads a day, which allows everything we normally do, plus almost two hours of streaming video. If we exceed the limit, we drop down to a speed that makes AW survivable, but slow. The penalty box is 24 hours long. At the end of the 24 hour penalty, we go back to normal speed.

They provide a site where you can see what you've downloaded per hour, so it's not hard to stay within your limit. I think we've been in the box twice in over a year.

willfulone
12-29-2008, 06:44 AM
I have dial up. In a city even. I have 56k modem thingy ma jiggie. Not sure what that means. I can tell you that I CAN load vids - but they start and stop and sputter and I never get the whole thing or even the full idea - so I do not load them. Still, I cannot think of spending more money to get just that part of internet when I get the rest.

I am frugal and hate the idea of paying more than 4.95/month for internet services to watch vids. So, I do without the vids or go to my mom's to watch on occasion.

Christine

Medievalist
12-29-2008, 06:52 AM
It's all the HTML and pics and such for these "web forums" that turns the text you want to read into a painful webpage downloading event. Get a newsreader, configure it for your ISP's news server (presuming they HAVE a news server), and read Usenet (it's also accessible through http://groups.google.com, but that's reading it through yet another Web interface with all the usual overhead).

Just turn off Images in your Web browser settings/preferences. Works fine. Not even a loss on a properly designed Web page. This forum is quite usable with images off, btw.

Darzian
12-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Let me just say that when I say the thread title, I thought someone wanted to degrade from DSL to Dial-up. :D

kristie911
12-29-2008, 07:01 AM
It must have improved considerably since you had yours. We travel full-time, and normally rely on a satellite dish for internet and cable TV. Other than having some limit on how much streaming video we can watch in a day, it's a wonderful service. In a heavy thunderstorm, it may blank for a minute at most as the worst part of the cell gets between us and the satellite, but that's very rare. I can remember one such storm all summer while we were on the road.

We finally got rid of it this past summer because it was non-working more than it was working. Maybe there are different companies...we used HughesNet. Our tv dish worked fine but the internet satellite was junk.

Don
12-29-2008, 07:24 AM
We finally got rid of it this past summer because it was non-working more than it was working. Maybe there are different companies...we used HughesNet. Our tv dish worked fine but the internet satellite was junk.
There can be a lot of different issues. We stayed at a friend's for a week this winter, and she was having a lot of trouble with her HughesNet too. Meanwhile, we sat in her yard and had perfect service.

When I took a look outside, I noticed the installer had installed the dish on the north west side of the house, which had a metal roof, so the dish was pointing over this big metal reflector.

We relocated the dish to the southeast side of the house, and her service improved a ton.

lakotagirl
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Don is right. Most problems with satellite are the installer's goofs. We have Hughesnet. Have had them for about eight years.

When it rains really hard we lose connection just like a satellite tv. But most rains allow us to connect.

When it snows big fluffy flakes, I have to go out and wipe the snow off the dish (wish I'd had the dish put on the ground instead of the roof. I look funny out there in my pj's at 6am with a long piece of pvc and a rag tied to the end - brushing snow off my satellite dish)

Maryn is right about them "stretching the truth" about when they will get a new tower installed. Wishes aren't fact.

I wish I had cable - but until they run cable to heaven, I'll happily live with my satellite.

Snowstorm
10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
*Thread bump*
He's here! He's here! The guy from satellite Internet! I can't take the 12K dialup anymore. The phone line/equipment has deteriorated since I started this thread and usually it's 10K or even less. So many times, a page is downloading, and the modem will just s ..... t........ o.............

I have to sign on in AW just to float through the threads since I have unchecked the "seeing avatars and signatures". I miss seeing AW posters' avatars and signatures (takes way too long to download). My bank's homepage WILL NOT EVEN DOWNLOAD anymore! The bank's IT folks said their new Web site technical goo limits the speed it'll work at at 25K. Try to run a business when you can't even freakin' access your bank accounts.:rant: Research on my novel has bogged down.

Wyoming.com got a grant to install a broadband tower that was supposed to be up and running this past spring, but the project is so bogged down in government goo that it'll take until next year at the earliest. We wanted so much to wait for a Wyoming company (Wyomingites are VERY loyal), but I just can't do it anymore.

Folks up here who get the satellite Internet love it. If it were to fail (power outage or bad cloud-cover), oh well. We'll wait. After all, we're used to waiting! And waiting, ... and waiting ....

I. CANNOT. WAIT. *Goes off to sing "Just a few more hours, ..."*

James81
10-13-2009, 07:34 PM

I feel your pain Snow. I'm stuck with dial-up...probably for the rest of my life. I looked into the Sprint and Alltel internet cards but it's way too expensive for me and we're right on the edge of decent coverage. There's no cable in the area. We don't even have the right phone lines to get it through Verizon.

I usually connect at 21.6k or so. Sometimes faster but then it usually drops within a couple of minutes.

A satellite connection is STILL better than dial up.

Snowstorm
10-13-2009, 07:37 PM
At least here, James81, satellite IS better than dial-up!