Querying again.

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago, I sent my novel around to different agents and got plenty of rejections. Since then, I've completely revised and improved it.

Is it ok to re-query those agents, even though it's basically the same story?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Although it's never ideal to re-query, after one year I don't see what you have to lose. Don't mention that it's a re-query, change the title, and alter your query letter. Aren't there any new agents you can query?

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Although it's never ideal to re-query, after one year I don't see what you have to lose. Don't mention that it's a re-query, change the title, and alter your query letter. Aren't there any new agents you can query?

Yes, but I wanted to keep all options available if possible.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose if you queried the best options first you'd really want to go back to them with what sounds to be a new book - just follows the same story to some extent. I'd say you can't lose by trying.

Danthia

You can, but odds are the reason they rejected it was due to the story just not grabbing them (unless the writing wasn't professional enough at that stage). Provided the query was well written and everything...

If you got rejections just based on the query, then the odds are it's the story. Re-querying probably won't matter.

If the rejections came on partials, it's probably the writting, so revising it could make a difference.

Only you can judge which :) Best of luck!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I think that it's Ok to requery. Just treat it as a new project, especially if the rewrite was significant. Agents see so many letters and manuscripts on a daily basis, they will not remember who you are or why they rejected the first draft.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Agents see so many letters and manuscripts on a daily basis, they will not remember who you are or why they rejected the first draft.

This definitely isn't true for all agents. Many keep a log of works they receive and reject.

Danthia hit it on the nose when she said that before resubmitting the writer should figure out why his or her work was originally rejected, and once done, fix same. Is it a weakness in the manuscript? Is the query letter or proposal or synopsis weak, etc.?

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I think that a substantial rewrite pretty much indicates that you have a completely new product, and as such, it is Ok to pitch it to the same people who rejected the old product.