Tide heights and position on the beach

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
If you know the "height" of the tide how do you determine how far up a beach it will go?

For instance, if the height of the low tide is 0.2 feet, where will the tide on the beach be compared to a height of the high tide at 2.9 feet?

I've tried reading some web pages about tides, but I get lost in the technical jargon and can't seem to figure this out.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
Can't actually answer this, but I think you'd have factor in the legnth and depth of said beach into the equation.

Is it just a tiny spit of sand? Or long miles along limestone bluffs? Tell us what it looks like.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
The specific beach I have in mind is Hornbaek, on the northern edge of Denmark. I've been told that the tides have little or no effect in some parts of Denmark, so I may have to adjust my locale or my plot a bit. (I need the tide to move a good way up the beach.)

Here are a couple of pics of the beach:

hornbaekhavn.jpg
Strand2.jpg
StrandBugt.jpg
Strand1.jpg

It looks like the tides there range from -0.1m to 0.1m.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Tides vary from angle of seabed to shore, location, and time of year: neap vs spring tides.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If that's in the Baltic they don't really have tides

SarahDavidson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'd try and find a local tide table. I know up in the northwest where I live, they print daily tide tables in the newspaper, and you can also find annual ones at sporting goods shops. I'm sure there's got to be something online. That'll give the exact times/movements of the tide for the specific area.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
nevermind.

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Can you try it out on the actual beach or can you find a similat beach? Pace the distance from low water and high water to a fixed point then do the same at the fraction of the tide or number of hours after high tide or whatever it is that is important for your story.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Can you try it out on the actual beach or can you find a similat beach? Pace the distance from low water and high water to a fixed point then do the same at the fraction of the tide or number of hours after high tide or whatever it is that is important for your story.

I sure wish I could go to Denmark!

And Sarah, I got the numbers I have from a tide table, but I don't know how to translate that to distance on the beach. Are there other kinds of tide tables? I'm clueless.

Waylander, Hornbaek is on the Øresund, the sound that connects the North Sea and the Baltic.

ETA: How about storm surges? Could there be storm surges there? OK, I found a report of a storm in 1938 that flooded parts of Helsingor, so I may just go with storm surge.

Last edited: