PDA

View Full Version : author's rights

lyceemoliere
12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I am just starting to get some of my writing edited and submitted. I have heard horror stories re contests or iterary magazines that retain rights to material that is submitted (whether or not the material is published or selected for a prize) and instances of the contest/mag then submitting the material elsewhere without the author's name or permission.

Could those of you who have navigated this terrain give me some tips as to how to avoid these situations....and if you have encountered such atrocious behavior, please leave details/information.

Thanks

veinglory
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
The bottom line is read the terms of service, rules and any contracts. they can only do what you agree to. If they can't be trusted even that far, don't submit. Just my 2c.

victoriastrauss
12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Since this is a general question rather than a specific query about a magazine or contest, I'm porting it here from Bewares & Background Check.

Lyceemoliere, have a look at the Contests page of Writer Beware (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/contests.html), which has some general warnings about contests and some tips for evaluating whether or not they're legit.

- Victoria

aka eraser
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Yep, what Vein said. Just be sure you know what rights they expect. (Rights can sometimes be negotiated with periodicals but that's unlikely to be the case with a contest.)

Birol
12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Just echoing what everyone else has said: Read the contracts, ToS, rules, and guidelines carefully before submitting and don't submit if you don't like what you read.

Thomas_Anderson
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
They can only do what you agree to. If they violate those simple rules, then they wouldn't be business, or at least, not for very long.